Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Re: HOME Schooling.

Oct 2, 2010

Cyclone567 wrote:

Digitman3 wrote:

Cyclone567 wrote:

I can't believe a 51 year old plays videogames. 

Thanks for the laugh.  Do you think immature 12 year olds are the gamers around?  I know gamers older than myself.  Of course they only play between naps, and when their geriatric nurse isn't in the room.

No I actually consider the current gaming crowd 15-30. 

HEY NOW - A young 53 here - and still playing video games.  It is "this" age range of people that made videogames what they are today.  Had we not played Pong - and wanted more - where would you youngens be today?  Pfft on y'all.

Now - its my nap time - and my nurse said I gotta go - so see ya later on the battlefields - or Home.

JPConway

Message 41 of 56 (207 Views)
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
938 posts

Oct 3, 2010

lol Recess is awesome It appears some people can't agree on this subject, which I find very sad. We all should strive to better our vocabulary and spelling. I consider myself to be a pretty good speller but I can still definitely learn to spell more words correctly. This should be a standard to try for all of society to better ourselves and our knowledge.

Photobucket

Message 42 of 56 (207 Views)
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Oct 3, 2010

JPConway wrote:

Cyclone567 wrote:

Digitman3 wrote:

Cyclone567 wrote:

Thanks for the laugh.  Do you think immature 12 year olds are the gamers around?  I know gamers older than myself.  Of course they only play between naps, and when their geriatric nurse isn't in the room.

No I actually consider the current gaming crowd 15-30. 

HEY NOW - A young 53 here - and still playing video games.  It is "this" age range of people that made videogames what they are today.  Had we not played Pong - and wanted more - where would you youngens be today?  Pfft on y'all.

Now - its my nap time - and my nurse said I gotta go - so see ya later on the battlefields - or Home.

JPConway

I dunno. Riding bikes, climbing trees, making friends outside?

lol all this talk about naps, and school, and old and young has me wasting my day watching cartoons now! thanks guys. i got hooked on the show Recess from watching my younger cousins. in one episode TJ, a fourth grader, was taken captive by the kindergarteners. Think Heart of Darkness on an elementary school playground.

"imagine it guys when you are a kindergartener you eat whatever you want, drink whatever you want, go wherever you want to go. there's no rules. When you paint, you don't use a brush. you just stick your hand right in and feel the colors. nd you take naps guys...right in the middle of the day. do you have any idea how refreshing that is?"

Legend of The Big Kid

If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken time to appreciate those naps so much more.

Message 43 of 56 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Oct 3, 2010

wolf6950 wrote:

lol Recess is awesome

Your whompin right it is! I think if Mark Twain lived in the 80s/90s and made a cartoon about his "schoolin", that would be it.

Message 44 of 56 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

Sep 23, 2012

Digitman3, this is an Interesting idea! I do like the idea of offering rewards for having basic knowledge of grammar because it's a positive and fun thing, and doesn't focus on making people feel bad about lacking knowledge or skills.
I'm accepting of "text-speak" in Home, because texting is the primary method for communicating, at least in public spaces. Typing takes a long time, especially for those who don't have a keyboard. Everyone is forced to be brief and fast, so it's natural to take shortcuts in order to communicate quickly. After my first few tries, I understood the abbreviations and even started using them myself.
However, I have been tripped up by some basic, yet common, misspellings. For example, the first time I saw someone type "were" as a word on it's own, I had no idea what they meant. I realized they were actually trying to ask a question, specifically, "Where?". I've now seen the two words mixed up a lot in Home. It's a little disconcerting that people are commonly confusing these two completely different words, but I try to remind myself that some Home users are young, and thus might not be finished learning spelling and grammar, and that perhaps other users did not learn English as their first language. After all, there are plenty of nice, fun and even intelligent people who are not scholars. I try to be understanding, especially considering the "live" aspect of communicating on Home. Hey, typos happen.

I'm a lot less forgiving, however, when it comes to these forums! People have as much time as they want to craft a clear message here. There's also a spell-check button RIGHT THERE, in the upper-right corner. It astonishes me that so many people STILL write and spell so poorly that it is often near impossible to actually understand them. Ironically, I have seen some people craft this crud while attempting to insult another poster! These people are slinging insults while at the same time calling attention to their own laziness and ignorance. It's utterly pathetic, because they also appear to be completely oblivious... to their own stupidity. In fact, it's such a testament to their idiocy that I usually let their postings stand unchallenged, simply because they have already insulted themselves so severely, yet are blithely unaware of their failings. Sometimes, you simply have to savour this absurd perfect circle, because it is actually it's own reward.

Message 45 of 56 (192 Views)
Survivor
1454 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 24, 2012

Very well put CameraCat.  BTW (did you catch that?), I've enjoyed reading your previous posts due to not only some of your great replies, but also your command of the English language.  I think therein lies my problem.  I have great respect for the English language, spoken as well as written, but often have a very difficult time seeing it butchered.

I have no problem with the use of acronyms, using quite a few myself.  Everyone understands them, and they do speed up a written conversation.  My 2 biggest problems are the substitution of th with d, and the lack of a question mark when asking a question.  

I utterly abhor non-words like "da" and "dat" and have zero tolerance for the people that use them.  10 minutes after making friends with someone once, I deleted them when I saw they typed that way.  I just can't take it.  When I'm in public and someone is talking that way around me, they go on Ignore immediately.  Once at a Meet and Greet Joanna_Dark_ was talking that way, saying she was practicing because she was going to the Playground next, and I put her on Ignore.  I just don't see how hard it is to add one more lousy letter and spell a word correctly.

A question mark has the purpose of turning a statement into a question, plain and simple.  There is a very distinct difference in the same sentence when adding a question mark.  Take for instance the sentence:  I killed my wife.  Now add a question mark.  I killed my wife?  The first is an admission to murder.  The second is a question asked in astonishment and perplexity.  Again, how hard is it to add one more symbol to put a sentence into it's correct form?  I don't want to have to guess if someone is telling me something or asking me something.

I'm not an English teacher and I'm far from perfect, but I try my best.  I do enjoy using the English language, but I use it with respect. My respect is not only for the language itself, but also the person I am presenting it to.  The purpose of a language is to communicate with others.  If I form a sentence that the person I'm communicating with immediately grasps it's proper meaning, then I have succeeded in my intent, and therein lies my respect for the other person.  I have made myself clear and they don't have to wonder or guess what I mean.

I am tolerant of other's typos, acronyms, abbreviations and misspellings.  What I am not tolerant of is someone's lack of respect, in that I mean, in this context, their laziness and selfishness not to make themselves understood for the sake of not having to type another letter or two, or a simple symbol.  I enjoy Home immensely, but I sure don't need a headache trying to figure out what someone else is trying to tell me.

Only the first two sentences were directed at you CameraCat, but I'd bet you can relate to the rest.  Thanks for bumping this up.  After 2 years from originally writing this, I have to say, I think if I wrote it today, I'd do it the exact same way, but now I think I'd have a little better understanding why:  Respect.

Time to Spell Check 'cause this sure is going to get nitpicked.  Thanks again and have fun on Home.  Smiley Happy  Dean

Posted Image
Message 46 of 56 (163 Views)
Splicer
45 posts

Sep 24, 2012
wat is dis grammer fing u spek of
Message 47 of 56 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
236 posts

Sep 24, 2012

Cyclone567 wrote:

What is wrong with 50 year olds playing video games? I'm in my 50's and proud of it I may add! Been gaming for over 30 years and enjoy it a lot.  Keeps my brain functioning lol.  Just because we are getting older doesn't mean we don't know how to game.  We aren't what you call over the hill, infact like someone else stated we are the ones who got the gaming world started!!

Message 48 of 56 (115 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 24, 2012

People who spell wat as what, know that it's incorrect. They're just lazy. Most spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes can be contributed to laziness.

These kind of mistakes, probably aren't intentional though...

your and you're

its and it's

then and than

where and were

who's and whose

there, their and they're

Message 49 of 56 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1148 posts

Sep 24, 2012

Good for you, oh ancient one Duchess. My Dad is 60 and games on the PS3. He has more trophies than I do !

I too, enjoyed Dean's Thread very much. I can't stand the " Wazzup ... I bin dere, n done dat " .. type of stuff.

I think I will start a collectiion of  "chu tink? Hey dere, ate grade wa da best 5 years od my life"  type phrases. Smiley Happy

photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 50 of 56 (92 Views)