Dec 15 2008
By: stri First Son 23 posts

»»» [ HOME BETA: My Ideas] «««

8 replies 18 views Edited Dec 15, 2008

This list is also posted in the correct place. I have created this thread here for user discussion. If it happens that the Sony Dev team sees these ideas here as well, great!

Hopefully they will implement them in the near future.

This is my GAP Home blog. It contains most of the ideas I would like added into the Home environment at some point...  

If you are for some reason interested in seeing the actual blog, it can be found

<a href=”http://gap.us.playstation.com/?q=node/84449”</a>

These are my Home beta revision ideas…
»» (Created Saturday, November 22 / 2008 & last updated on December 15/2008) ««
These ideas are based on the current condition of the Home beta, and I am not sure if they are already in production.
I will attempt to revise this blog periodically.

IDEAS:

-==-
-MISC:
1. Create a juke box in the game area. (pay only) This would eliminate the repetitiveness of the standard music that is played throughout the room. It must be a pay unit though…otherwise people will play too many songs in succession. Not everyone wants to hear the same songs over and over. Having to pay may minimize this.
2. A ranking system should be devised. Game stats should be saved.
Individual player game/pool/bowling etc. stats should also be available for view when pressing “X” on the user’s character.
3. Add other methods of entertainment such as darts, poker or even things not often considered. (Ex. Frisbee, lawn darts, crochet, lawn bowling, sports etc.)

-BILLIARDS (POOL):
1. Rule change options are needed.
2. Ability to use English (spin).
3. During the break or after a scratch, give the ability to move the ball freely within the rules specified.
4. The break should go to the winner, not the loser.
5. Create more view options while taking a shot.
6. Add a free roam setting, so we can look at the table from any angle / position. This would also be useful if one wants to look away from the table toward the rest of the room.
7. Show opponent’s cue and movements during his/her shot.
8. Create a full screen view for those who want to watch the game closer.
9. When watching from a distance make the characters perform the actions in real time…rather than just standing there. I like things to appear as realistic as possible.
10. Have an icon next to our names appear indicating that the user is using his microphone while in game.
11. Add more view types. I would like to see the game with cues, without, from high angles, low, side etc. I would also like these options to be available at anytime. Currently, movement is minimal…especially when it’s not your shot.
12. Table cloth adjustment option. The table host should have the option to change the table speed (Ex. Fast/Med/Slow).
13. Doubles Pool would be cool.
14. An option to bet would be cool. Perhaps work with PayPal to set up a safe system to do this if desired.
15. There is an issue with the current system in the pool. Sometimes when two people want to play each other, but there is no table available they will bully their way in. If a single player is waiting in a table for a competitor, they can simply just join and then quit abruptly. At this time, they are both able to steal the table if they are quick enough (This can also apply to the break). This usually works from what I’ve seen. Most individuals aren’t expecting this to occur.
16. People will often join a game of pool and quit before the match is complete. I realize that sometimes this cannot be avoided if you suddenly have something to do. If the ranking system I listed above was created, there would be fewer users inclined to quit simply because they are losing. A loss or quit should be added to their rank in this event, unless both parties agree to end the game. This is a feature that should also be included in the ranking system.
17. Pool accuracy can sometimes seem a little off. Now, I’m not saying this because I suck and can’t play the game… I have yet to lose actually. This is not bragging, it’s merely said to explain that the system is flawed and not the user. It’s not badly off, but it is a little. Games of this sort are based on hand eye coordination, and if one has to deal with a slight offset in the design as well as game variables, it can be a little more frustrating than anticipated at times.

-ARCADE GAMES:
1. I can’t stand that we must wait to play the games. One at a time is garbage.
At least allow a couple or implement more games to accommodate the number of users.
2. Create an actual arcade with more games. Perhaps add some old classics or two player games.
3. The characters just stand near the arcade game. I would like a clearer indication that they are playing it. Perhaps just put their hands on the machine in a way that would look realistic from a distance.
4. While playing arcade games, I would like an easy way to toggle the user comments on/off.

-BOWLING:
1. It’s often full. As I said with the Arcade games,(in not so many words) waiting is annoying and boring.
Perhaps create a private load to accommodate anyone who wants to play at any time, or just add WAY more lanes.
2. Zoom feature or free roam is needed. I would like to watch an opponent’s shot with a better view. Perhaps allow for a full screen option if desired.
3. Have an icon next to our names appear indicating that the user is using his microphone while in game.
4. Inactivity issues are found when bowling. Sometimes people will sit in a lane ready to play, yet do nothing. They will remain idle for as long as possible to hold the lane for whatever reason. Perhaps they are waiting on their friends to arrive, or maybe even just because they think it’s funny. This type of juvenile behavior is common in Home.
A specific bowling idle limit must be introduced. I realize that Home itself has a limit, but people can just wait doing nothing for a while, then move slightly to reset the clock. The feature for bowling should prevent one from sitting in a lane without playing.

-CHESS:
1. There are not nearly enough tables available.
2. Add a free look option. Sometimes I would like to see away from the table.
3. Free roam would make looking at the table easier.
4. Have an icon next to our names appear indicating that the user is using his microphone while in game.

-==-
1. Full screen option without standing in front of the film canvas.
2 Make the display area a little higher so people hanging out in front of the screen aren’t in the way of the seated viewers.
3. Make complete full screen available (without borders).
4. Mute everyone option (This could also be added for everywhere) Keep all audio except the users.

-==-
1. I would like a way to easily access and reuse things I’ve recently typed.
2. Perhaps an option to create our own quick write messages as well.
3. Copy/Paste and other standard keyboard shortcuts could also be useful.
4. If one was to type profanity (not that I would ever do such a thing lol) it appears as "****" to the recipient(s). Currently, the composer sees exactly what was typed. This should be revised to show the exact output (****).
5. Create a better way to show who you’re talking to. Add an option to press “X” on the character and speak directly to that person. This conversation should still be available to everyone in the area, but add that characters name in a different colour or font to indicate the direct communication attempt.

-==-
1. Currently it’s hard to determine if a user has a microphone. Allow us to check this in the menu when clicking “X” on the user’s character…or show a permanent icon next to the user name (with an indicator showing On, Off or not connected).
2. Create an easy way to discern the differences between the icons on a user’s name.
3. Show a clearer indication of who is near you. Allow us to locate a certain individual by high lighting the name shown in the bottom right corner. Upon doing so, an arrow indicating the direction to take to reach the user should appear.
4. Currently we are able to toggle user comments from All to Small/fade by pressing L3. I would like an Off option to be added to the list. Press 3 times for off (Ex. On, Small/fade, Off).
5. An easier method for cycling through users and interactive areas in Home is needed. It can often become difficult to select a video screen through a crowd.

-==-
1. Allow us to run faster if desired
2. Create a jump option…just wish I could.
3. Allow us to climb certain things. Over a railing, or perhaps onto small steps that are currently off limits.
4. Perhaps create an option to swim. Make pools or allow us to hit the lake for a dip.
5. Add a “refresh” option. Just in case we get stuck somewhere…or for an attempt to reload a failed video. I have seen this occur several times and I have an excellent connection. This may be due to it being a beta, but it’s best to have the refresh option just in case.
6. Make the character’s heads face the direction the user is looking.
7. Create a free roam feature (limited distance) to look at your character from different angles, close and far.
8. While sitting on an object, allow us to shuffle in the direction pressed via the toggle stick.
9. Add different types of sitting. Allow us to put our feet up on the provided foot stools, or a more relaxed position.
10. A more interactive movement style would be cool. The Little Big Planet move system (Hold a button to perform actions) is a good example of what would be useful…a feature where you can move your limbs or maybe even perform acrobatics.

-==-
1. Mute music option. The background music in the HOME can sometimes become irritating, especially when other music is playing. I would like to be able to mute it yet retain all other audio.
2. Mute everyone option (Users only). Sometimes I would like to hear my surroundings without people talking. I realize that you can just turn the volume down on voices, or mute individually by pressing “X” on the character…but a quicker method (radio button)would be much more helpful.
After muting several people, sometimes I want to reverse this decision. It can be complicated, having to find everyone individually to do this.
It would be easier to have an option to quickly toggle user sound on/off within an entire area.
3. Add a volume adjustment setting when pressing “X” on a specific user’s character.
4. A viewable indicator on the bottom right of the screen should become available indicating who is talking in close proximity. I hate having to search for the icon/name above a user’s head to know who is talking in a crowd.
5. A personal microphone in use indicator is also needed. I would like to see when I am pressing the button. It’s sometimes difficult to determine if my headset is in fact working properly. I don’t always want to rely on others to let me know.

-==-
1. When moving furniture around, allow us to zoom in and out. Perhaps give a free roam option for this as well.
2. Allow us to open and close doors, windows etc. Sound should adjust to accommodate.
3. Create a virtual gaming platform for our personal space. This platform (Virtual PS3) would be useful for a game load feature that is more realistic while hanging out with friends. Allow us to play or watch our games in progress on the space television(s). We should be able to click on the screen and be presented with a list of options. If the TV is not in use, perhaps episodes can be chosen(Ex. Like GTA does or downloaded content). An option to load our own disks into the actual PS3 and play them directly here for our peers to enjoy, will enable friends to play a game, yet still hang with those who don’t own that particular game yet. The friends without, can watch the game in progress in full screen, (or not) and still chat with everyone (and vice versa).

-==-
1. Left handed character option is needed.
2. More customization content is obviously needed. I’m quite sure this is going to be included eventually, however; we as the beta testers require the material to give an opinion. I would also like to add more features to closer resemble my appearance.
3. Add a zoom option when working on the character. I would like to see better when adding items. Rotation only, is not enough.
4. Character facial animations should be available.
5. My character is bald. For some reason when I put a hat on him, hair is visible under the brim. Why is this?
6. Perhaps a face recognition system could be added. Tiger Woods PGA Tour has this system, and I think it would cool if Home did as well. Scan your face with the PS Cam and then have an option to tweak afterward if desired.

-==-
1. When receiving a friend “invite” an option to send a message should be available.
2. Currently in some situations, the “invite” must be responded to before you are able to do anything else. The “PSP” or start menu, will be shown and remain completely black with only this invitation message, until a decision regarding the invite has been made.
This should be adjusted; viewable in a separate category ( perhaps with an indicator of some kind) within the start menu. This would allow one to continue his/her current actions prior to responding. Sometimes I am unable to make a decision or unable to join/respond to my friend, based on what I am doing at that particular moment.
So, in summary:
Place the invites in a separate area so I can retain start menu functionality. I will respond when I can.
3. Sony developers should implement a feature that forces you to post your sex on the PS3 console account when signing up. Then Home developers should make the account within Home conform to that sex. This may minimize the amount of false sexes within the Home environment.
If there are multiple users/sexes that play the PS3, they should be required to sign up a secondary user account on the console.
I realize that some may simply create another account to continue their juvenile behavior, however; I believe this will decrease the numbers significantly.
4. A more informative interface is needed. There are currently many areas that need more information. Clicking “X” on a users character or a game (occupied or not) are good examples of this.
5. There should also be a feature that prevents overwriting things, specifically within the character creation area. Make sure we don’t accidentally overwrite data by adding an “Are you sure?” message before finalizing any major decisions.
6. Video displays need to be higher quality. When viewing the miscellaneous televisions around the Home environment, video quality is decent only from a distance. Full Screen mode is pixilated.
7. When scrolling through lists, options, emotes, quick write etc. we can only descend. I would like to for example, press up when at the top of a list to reach the bottom, rather than move all the way down only.
8. When I try to sit on the benches in the main area within Home, I have realized that I am only able to sit on one side of the bench (Inside). I would like to sit on any part or side. It’s annoying when I attempt to sit on one side and it automatically sends me to the other.
9. Create an option to easily turn off all screen content simultaneously (Name, Conversations etc. ).
Sometimes these things can get in the way. I would like to turn them off in these occasions.
10. I would like to be able to display my own images and videos on televisions and picture frames in my personal space.
11. Option to move somehow to the other servers would be excellent. Perhaps an airport, train station, or something as simple as just pressing start. Home is a Global interactive environment, let us treat it as such. Traveling would be a wonderful way for us to communicate with others in our wonderful world.
12. Seasons, Day/Night, weather change should be implemented.

That’s all for now, as I mentioned above…I will attempt to periodically add ideas.
Thanks for reading.

Please keep in mind these ideas are derived from personal opinion only. Constructive criticism is welcome though.

If you have any ideas that you’d like to post, please feel free to do so… I would love to read them.

Thanks!

Message Edited by stri on 12-15-2008 12:04 PM
Photobucket
Message 9 of 9 (18 Views)
Wastelander
585 posts

Re: »»» [ HOME BETA: My Ideas] «««

Dec 14, 2008
Wow. Thats alot. I have no time to read, but most are really good!
Sora Signature 2 Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 1 of 9 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5108 posts

Dec 14, 2008
Message 2 of 9 (18 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Dec 14, 2008
Very nice, some good idea's there. I like it.
Message 3 of 9 (18 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Dec 14, 2008

@ Apollo21:

Thanks for not reading anything in my post... yes the ideas are created in a thread here, however; if you would have read even the first sentance...

you would know that I did in fact put it in the correct thread as well.

Message Edited by stri on 12-14-2008 02:33 PM
Photobucket
Message 4 of 9 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12198 posts

Dec 14, 2008

Apollo21 wrote:
Suggestions for Home go here. http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3home&thread.id=424301    Enjoy.

Suggestions for Home

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3home&thread.id=424301

Per Today's Message of the Day.

Post 'em here guys and gals!

You beat me to it Apollo lol

Photobucket
Message 5 of 9 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5108 posts

Dec 14, 2008

stri wrote:

@ Apollo21:

Thanks for not reading anything in my post... yes the ideas are created in a thread here, however; if you would have read even the first sentance...

you would know that I did in fact put it in the correct thread as well.

Message Edited by stri on 12-14-2008 02:33 PM

I did read it and I love the ideas. But you need to understand that there is already a thread ment for ideas. I'm only suggesting that you put these ideas in there so that the devs will read.
Message 6 of 9 (18 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Dec 15, 2008

@ Apollo21:

I didn't mean to sound insulting, but the devs will read my suggestions because they are also listed in the place you suggested. I only added this thread to have user feedback on the ideas and what they thought.

Do you have any thoughts on my ideas?

Photobucket
Message 7 of 9 (18 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Dec 15, 2008
The list has been updated... enjoy!
Photobucket
Message 8 of 9 (18 Views)
0 Likes