Highlighted
Jul 07 2013
By: D-Nitrate Treasure Hunter 4541 posts

Getting Answers to Questions, Concerns & Suggestions about Home... Finally

22 replies 543 views Edited Jul 7, 2013

The following discussion got lost in a thread about the upcoming 4th of July event that really deserves more attention and more feedback and follow up from Tempest_Fire and the community.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 1 of 23 (543 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4541 posts

Re: Getting Answers to Questions, Concerns & Suggestions about Home... Finally

Jul 7, 2013

From June 26, 2013 post #7.

D-Nitrate wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Yeah, had to knock out the two of the big anchors for this week's update (Kikai and Serentity Park).  Sorta trimmed down the post more than I expected.  Then again, this is part of why I want to keep a daily dialogue about content with you all, so that we're not just hopping in the forums once adn the blog once per week and letting you speculate through the rest of the week.

In that same vein... Do you have plans on having a dialogue with us about the MANY issues that have been brought up about the service that your predecessor nor anyone else at Sony has ever responded to?

As it is, it seems all we hear from our Sony reps is "pay no attention to the fire, instead, look at all the shiny new stuff"!

Can you address issues like item management (so that it isn't so bloody hard to use the items you all keep pushing us to buy)?

Can you address issues like the character save slot folder which can take a long time to load before allowing us to even close the folder?

Can you address issues like the organization (or lack thereof) of the public and personal spaces in our nav menu?

Can you address issues like the still missing option to save multiple layouts of our personal spaces (which if we had that option again, it would likely result in more sales of items to use for those multiple layouts)?

Can you address issues like why Home is still plagued with so many network disconnect errors?

Can you address the issue that is the obvious elephant in the room, and answer why Sony has not made any mention about the future of Home, even on the PS3?

It should be painfully obvious by now, Sony's silence on these issues is causing a tremendous amount of dissent among your customers, has likely caused many to give up on the service, and those that continue to hope things improve to argue amongst each other due to the total lack of information coming from Sony - which has led to excessive speculation (something you appear to at least admit isn't ideal).

From  post #8

Tempest_Fire wrote:

D, 

Full disclosure: Some of these questions I simply don't know the answer to, yet.  Others I can't directly address. Others I'm concerned that my data is old (from when I was a Home Lead Moderator). And others don't have any new answers at all.  I fired off a few of these to others for clarification.  If I can, I'll update you with what I find out.

For now, I can say that there's no news on the "future of Home" question.  For the rest, I'll ask those who would know best, and return with whatever information I can.  Even if it's another bit of "no news to share".

From post #13

Tempest_Fire wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

As it is, it seems all we hear from our Sony reps is "pay no attention to the fire, instead, look at all the shiny new stuff"!

• Can you address issues like item management (so that it isn't so bloody hard to use the items you all keep pushing us to buy)?
 Nothing on the table at this time about this.  However, we'll reach out to the Home Dev team and see if there's an intelligent work around for this.  If there is, we'll share.  If not, then we likely won't return to say that there's nothing new to share.

• Can you address issues like the character save slot folder which can take a long time to load before allowing us to even close the folder?
Same as above, and potentially even more tricky on our end.

• Can you address issues like the organization (or lack thereof) of the public and personal spaces in our nav menu?
The Ops team has a plan for how Public Spaces are laid out that's in the early stages. It's possible, that at some point in the execution of this plan, that we'll reach out to you all for feedback.  More to come on that in the future.  The Personal spaces are sorted by date/time of entitlement (when you got them).  We would you prefer to see?

• Can you address issues like the still missing option to save multiple layouts of our personal spaces (which if we had that option again, it would likely result in more sales of items to use for those multiple layouts)?
No info to share, we'll look into it.

• Can you address issues like why Home is still plagued with so many network disconnect errors?
Frankly, when we look at the data, the platform seems pretty stable since our updates a couple of months ago.  We can take another look, but the Dev team is regularly observing connectivity rates and planning ahead for increased stabilization.

• Can you address the issue that is the obvious elephant in the room, and answer why Sony has not made any mention about the future of Home, even on the PS3?

Answered above, but for the sake of completion: No news to share on this topic.

It should be painfully obvious by now, Sony's silence on these issues is causing a tremendous amount of dissent among your customers, has likely caused many to give up on the service, and those that continue to hope things improve to argue amongst each other due to the total lack of information coming from Sony - which has led to excessive speculation (something you appear to at least admit isn't ideal).

I spoke with some Operations guys and got some soft replies for you, posted above in red.  

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 2 of 23 (532 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Don't you think this is a little on the pointless side of things?  There was no real new info given.  So why does this need it's own post?

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 3 of 23 (520 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4541 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

• Can you address issues like item management (so that it isn't so bloody hard to use the items you all keep pushing us to buy)?
 Nothing on the table at this time about this.  However, we'll reach out to the Home Dev team and see if there's an intelligent work around for this.  If there is, we'll share.  If not, then we likely won't return to say that there's nothing new to share.
Considering this is likely one of, if not the most frequently discussed problem with Home, I certainly would hope you and those in charge are taking this issue seriously enough to finally put this on the table and if you truly can not do anything about it, be honest with your customers and explain to us why this can not be improved.
BTW:  It would be a good first step to address the following thread, and respond to some of the specific concerns and suggestions that have been brought up there:
SONY & DEVS - Item Management is a Mess: Fix it = More Sales! Remain Silent = Lose Sales!

• Can you address issues like the character save slot folder which can take a long time to load before allowing us to even close the folder?
Same as above, and potentially even more tricky on our end.
Can you explain to your customers what is so tricky about simply adding additional folders with no more than 12 character save slots, so that instead of loading one folder with 24 or even 48 character save slots, we would only have to load 12 at a time.  This would also allow each user to 'organize' their save slots by the different character save slot folders.

• Can you address issues like the organization (or lack thereof) of the public and personal spaces in our nav menu?
The Ops team has a plan for how Public Spaces are laid out that's in the early stages. It's possible, that at some point in the execution of this plan, that we'll reach out to you all for feedback.  More to come on that in the future.  The Personal spaces are sorted by date/time of entitlement (when you got them).  We would you prefer to see?
RE: Personal spaces; what I (and many others that have brought this up in thr past in numerous suggestion threads) is to be able to sort they alphabetically (just like Public spaces), and even tag some of them as favorites so that they are always listed first.
RE: Public spaces; As has also been suggested numerous times in numerous suggestion threads, and that the previous Community Manager created, but often ignored, why doesn't NA Home not have the same sorting options of public spaces as offered in other regions, like having them organized by developer in addition to alphabetically.  Also, as anyone can clearly see, even our alphabetical list of public spaces is wrong, as many spaces as listed are either not listed in the proper alphabetical order and or have the wrong name listed.

• Can you address issues like the still missing option to save multiple layouts of our personal spaces (which if we had that option again, it would likely result in more sales of items to use for those multiple layouts)?
No info to share, we'll look into it.
Please do.  This option was available prior to 1.75 by copying our Home files for each personal space layout and restoring them when needed, but even years before that it has been requested numerous times for that option to be built-into the functionality of Home so that we would not have to restart Home every time we wanted to change layouts.  Now even that option has been taken away, and with it, many of the layouts your customers spent countless hours creating.

• Can you address issues like why Home is still plagued with so many network disconnect errors?
Frankly, when we look at the data, the platform seems pretty stable since our updates a couple of months ago.  We can take another look, but the Dev team is regularly observing connectivity rates and planning ahead for increased stabilization.
Well as a frequent user of Home, likely far more than your self and who ever does your testing, I can tell you that simply is not true.  In fact, all you have to do is browse through the support forum and you'll find plenty of evidence from your customers that clearly show that Home is plagued with numerous network disconnect errors, some that even result is system freezes.

• Can you address the issue that is the obvious elephant in the room, and answer why Sony has not made any mention about the future of Home, even on the PS3?

Answered above, but for the sake of completion: No news to share on this topic.

I would only add, the longer Sony takes to reassure it's customers that they plan on continuing to support Home for the remainder of the PS3 lifecycle, the more negative speculation it will cause and the more customers you will lose.

I spoke with some Operations guys and got some soft replies for you, posted above in red.

"Like it never happened"

Message 4 of 23 (516 Views)
Gaming Beast
1947 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Ok, even "Can't tell you" is sooooo much more than usual.

That... or maybe I just didn't understand when GW would PM me and ask me to back off when asking for some kind of response to popular forum issues. XD

But in all seriousness, I never thought I'd say it, but I enjoy getting a solid "Not allowed to share" vs the quiet game alot more, it at least lets us know what is being sent to the big-wigs and what is just being brushed aside, so for that, thank you TF.

I don't budlist-add on forums, and blank PSN requests get ignored!
Missing Rewards -over a year old, still never fixed! 3-4 months worth of items still MIA.
Message 5 of 23 (512 Views)
Big Daddy
13254 posts

Jul 7, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Don't you think this is a little on the pointless side of things?  There was no real new info given.  So why does this need it's own post?

It doesn't. He just likes to rant.

All his questions were answered the best they could be with what information Tempest had.

He wasn't satisfied, so he made a thread of his post and just added more personal rant in white.

Message 6 of 23 (490 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

Jul 7, 2013

To Tempest:

The future of Home is a very relevant and pressing issue...among many Home users and it's community. If you dont have any information regarding this matter...dont you think it would be a good idea to make it a priority to aquire that information and find out?! 

1) Who runs and oversees Home operations? What company? Who is the man at the top of the ladder? Who is the CEO? Find this person, or company. Because whoever he/she/ or it is..THAT is where this information is going to come from! 

2) Maybe the Home Staff should contact Jack Tretton and schedule an interview with the man. Mr Tretton doesnt seem to have a problem talking to journalists, magazines and gaming websites. I think you guys need to touch base with your BOSS. 

3) Back when you guys redesigned Home and added the HUB...we heard a lot of talk about this "vision" for Home. How you have so many great plans and such a wonderful direction you want to take Home. We heard about how Home is this "ever evolving, ever growing, ever changing" community with limitless potential and bounderies. You guys were very excited about this project and hyped it up, as if you KNEW where you were going with it. You were confident it had a future.....and now, you cant even tell us whether it does or not! You cant tell us if it will hit the PS4 at some point...or even how long it will remain active and alive on the PS3! 

4) Or is it because maybe you guys DO know that Home's future and future plans have been cut short...and you havent been authorised to confirm or deny it to the community? You know that if you was to publically announce an end date to Home, right here on the forums...it would send shockwaves thru the community. People would stop coming on Home. People would stop supporting it. People would stop buying things from the devs. The forums would blow up with "End Of Home" threads. Your user base would diminish in less than a day, Tempest..and you know it! 

If you dont have the information...then you owe it to the community and everyone of us who has supported Home, bought content from the devs and have invested hundreds of dollars....to find that information, by any means necessary. 

"I DONT KNOW" is not gonna cut it much longer, Tempest! This is getting to be BS!

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 7 of 23 (467 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Jul 7, 2013

I appreciate this synopsis and while many of the answers aren't what I would particularly care to hear, I'm encouraged that at least we were offered some responses. I think it's a welcome change to have more open dialogue from Tempest than we saw in the past.

Remember when just a certain few seemed to be in the know about things and they would flaunt that knowledge? I do. I'm happy to see more communication and not the same silence or cold PMs from a certain CM stating that "there's no need to respond...we don't pander like that...we take a more hands off approach to CM work and have found it be more succesful (in other words, we've found that we don't have to tell you anything and you people will just keep on buying).

Message 8 of 23 (423 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3347 posts

Jul 8, 2013

I'd like to see Tempest_Fire reply to Shadow's comments.

The above comment is my opinion, except when I quote someone I disagree with, and unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 9 of 23 (376 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

VioletWinds wrote:

I'd like to see Tempest_Fire reply to Shadow's comments.

Tempest_Fire probably has very little time to answer every Home question in addition to his other new responsibilities as

Digital Platforms Community Manager. Remember it's not just Home community managers anymore but a part of a bigger entity now. Sony has a lot going on if you look beyond Home.

I also have heard "Nothing new to report regarding Home/PS4'' I also get the feeling that developers are not going to sit and wait for more information on their future but that they are looking ahead at the next best thing for them. This is what all developers do. Take note as to who is developing what and how much on Home over the next few months and you will understand. No news is not good news a lot of the time.
HomeStationMagazine
Message 10 of 23 (350 Views)