Splicer
60 posts

Re: Gays In Home: I need your help

Jul 21, 2011

1.   It normally comes up during casual conversation, or if some Homegirl hits on me.

2.   I do -- and I'm pretty good at it as well

3.    What experiences are you looking for? From the start, home reminded me of The Sims but to an extent that they provided things I would've liked to have seen in The Sims. I'm not looking for any particular experience but a general experience.

4.   Who hasn't?

5.   I don't. I'm not a flamboyant gay, though I'm out of the closet, and just about every gay guy i've met on home was over the top. I don't knock styles but these same guys were the types that assume just because you're another gay guy that you're their type enough.

6.   I don't -- I spend time with anyone I can vibe with on a regular, friendly level.

7.   Quite a few, actually.

8.   In real life, the gay bashing can be physical, can come from anyone -- even a drunk and belligerent friend. In Home, I can ignore someone who's being belligerent. At the same time, from what I've seen, Home gays are more flamboyant and there's a hell of a lot of lesbians. LOL!! The gays I know irl, while they're just as comfortable and out of the closet as I am, they're also more conservative.

9.   I can't think of anything.

I wouldn't mind being interviewed; in fact, no one's ever interviewed me before and I wouldn't mind enlightening a few people on my own, personal views.

Photobucket
Message 31 of 60 (16 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Jul 22, 2011

I actually really do enjoy this topic, because it's too hard for myself to find gay guys, or bi guys in home.

It would be nice find someone who can relate to me in some ways.

Even though my straight and lesbian friends are great.

1.  When do you tell people you are gay (or bi)? Usually in every conversation with someone I meet, or conversate with. I don't like people getting the wrong idea. So I always try to get the point across that I'm not attracted to girls, and that I'm gay.

2.  Do you cross-dress in Home? I always have played as a girl avatar. Ever since I started home around 2 years ago, I been playing as girls. Everyone has their own reasons why they do this, or that. Personally I do it because I do like clothes, and coming up with costumes/outfits. I don't play as a girl because I want to eventually become a girl in reality, not my intentions. I don't do it to make others assume I'm a girl or any other reasons others may have. I do it because it's me, and it makes me happy.

3.  Why are you in Home?  What experiences are you looking for? I joined home actually having no clue on what it even was. I started out doing glitches, and I was really big on those. I've went through my share of troubles/fams/etc in my whole two years. Really now, after now..through everything I've experienced..I just want to be content and enjoy my free time on home with my good friends that I've made on there without having any worries.

4.  Have you been harassed by haters in Home? Yes, and I'm sure there's not one single person that can say they haven't been. When I get harassed, it's mainly because I tell people I'm really a guy and not a girl and using a female avatar. At times, I would think people would be happy I told the truth about myself. But I guess it's still a shock to some people, because I can play it well without even really trying.

5.  Are you trying to find other gays in Home? It's not that I'm trying to make a whole new set of gay friends on home. It would be nice to find some..since I only know one personally on my list who's gay.

6.  Do you spend most of your time in Home with other gays? Actually no, since I stated above..I only have one gay friend on home. Most of my friends are straight or bi.

7.  Have you formed lasting friendships in Home with people who are not gay? Most of my friendships are with people are not of the gay community. They're some of the best people I've met on home usually. Here as of recently, if it wasn't for my friends Raiden, Lei, Horo, Black, and the others who know who they are. I wouldn't be home anymore, to be honest.

8.  How does being gay in Home compare with real life? Well I think just as dealing in real life, as you do on home. You deal with judgement when telling people you are the way you are. So that's probably one of more similiar things I can see between being gay in home and not in home. The only upside is, you never have to actually deal with it face to face since they're behind their tvs.

9.  What interview questions do you wish I had asked? I think you about covered it to me, personally.

Message 32 of 60 (16 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Jul 22, 2011

Add me, I'm amassing a gay army. lol j/k i've met a lot of very cool people on here and i'll be hosting a get together soon as we can figure out when will work for everyone, at least the majority.

Message 33 of 60 (16 Views)
Survivor
2284 posts

Jul 22, 2011

When I posted this thread 8 months ago, I had just finished publishing my first article in HSM:  "7 Reasons For Cross-Dressing in Home".  Although the article was not specifically about gays (read it and you will see what I mean), the reader comments were - interesting.  That is when I decided that the subject of gays in Home and how life in a virtual world differed from real life would be of interest to people in Home.

I posted this in November in hopes of getting some insights to use to write an unbiased and non-critical examination of how Home is different -   and in what ways it is the same as real life.  Unfortunately, the thread died very quickly and I did not have enough material to go ahead with my article.  Seeing this thread suddenly reappearing 8 months later was startling.  But, as more and more comments have appeared,  it gave me hope that I could compile these highly articulate and interesting responses into a meaningful article.

That said, I am asking permission of all of you who replied to this thread to let me add your responses to my article.  I will withhold your name if you wish.  And you can PM me with additional comments you would like included.  Also, I will wait until August 1 to start the compilation in the event others would like to add their input.

Message 34 of 60 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Jul 22, 2011

You have my permission, and i will send you additional info and comments.

Message 35 of 60 (16 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Jul 22, 2011

Keara22HI wrote:

When I posted this thread 8 months ago, I had just finished publishing my first article in HSM:  "7 Reasons For Cross-Dressing in Home".  Although the article was not specifically about gays (read it and you will see what I mean), the reader comments were - interesting.  That is when I decided that the subject of gays in Home and how life in a virtual world differed from real life would be of interest to people in Home.

I posted this in November in hopes of getting some insights to use to write an unbiased and non-critical examination of how Home is different -   and in what ways it is the same as real life.  Unfortunately, the thread died very quickly and I did not have enough material to go ahead with my article.  Seeing this thread suddenly reappearing 8 months later was startling.  But, as more and more comments have appeared,  it gave me hope that I could compile these highly articulate and interesting responses into a meaningful article.

That said, I am asking permission of all of you who replied to this thread to let me add your responses to my article.  I will withhold your name if you wish.  And you can PM me with additional comments you would like included.  Also, I will wait until August 1 to start the compilation in the event others would like to add their input.

I already spoke to Cheeky about this subject for HSM - and I also got him to talk to another gay friend of mine - Pro/Darksided.  Are you both working on the same article?  Or will there be two seperate articles for HSM?

JPConway

Message 36 of 60 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Jul 22, 2011

According to our editor, NorseGamer, who has seen both drafts, we have taken very different approaches to this subject because mine is just a compilation of the questionnaire replies while Cheeky has gone more for in-depth interviews. If this thread had not suddenly sprung back to life, it would have been just the one story.  But, given this opportunity, Norse definitely plans to run both. The nine replies I have already received give some very thoughtful insights.  And I hope to receive even more.  

The only comments of my own that I plan to add are my own dismay over how the anonymity of Home allows overt hatred to surface, unchecked, whereas in real life those same people would never do or say the same things in public.  This applies not only to the treatment of gays but to many other groups.  When no one speaks out to refute the things they say, the bigots assume that everyone else is silently agreeing with them.

Message 37 of 60 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Jul 22, 2011

I give my permission for the survey I completed. Honestly, when I speak to other gays about the whole situation OF "gay", it turns dull. It's a repetitive conversation only inflicted by lifestyle choices and so it's less interesting. However, for those who aren't gay and may not understand, I do see stuff like this to be helpful and informative.

Photobucket
Message 38 of 60 (16 Views)
First Son
25 posts

Jul 22, 2011

I am looking forward to reading both yours and Cheeky's articles. I am very glad to see this thread come back to life.

Message 39 of 60 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Jul 22, 2011

I'm sure this article once written will be quite engayging

Yea, I'm sorry. lol

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 40 of 60 (16 Views)
0 Likes