Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

Re: Game Mechanics: Start/Finish Gate

May 23, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

JulianMatisse wrote:

Great review D, just had a follow up question since I haven't seen the board in action, yet. Could it also be used in clubhouses to post next meeting times, special events, or just leave other members humorous messages, or is it only really good for posting names and times?

I was hoping this was the case (leaving messages and allowing members to leave messages in clubhouses).  As not only does the built-in bulletin board not let members leave messages, but even the messages the owner leaves don't last.  I think the longest you can set it for is a month.

What's interesting though is how the sign works depending on different scenarios:

1) Owner makes a message (1), while no one is there and leaves the club, members who enter after that will only see the default message (0).

2) Owner goes back to club, and now everyone there with the owner will see the message (1) pop up.

3) Owner leaves,  a member leaves a message (2), owner arrives, and message turns to (1).

4) Owner stays, a member leaves message (2), owner leaves, comes back, and message (2) pops up.

So from what I can tell so far, in order for a message to be "saved" you have to be in the space when that message is posted, and the last message that you saw will be the one displayed the next time you are visiting a club, unless the owner arrives and they have an older message.  This could get particularly confusing if several members left different messages at different times and all met at the club.  Not sure how it decided which message will be displayed.

It's complicated, and I'm not sure how well I just laid out what I have found so far... lol

Bottom line though, while members and owners can leave messages... Only the people in the club at the time will see that message saved the next time they visit the club... So it sort of defeats the purpose.

If Game Mechanics could possibly tweak it so that messages are saved for everyone to see without having to be in the club at the time the message is made, that would be really helpful!  Yes, it means a club member might accidentally delete or edit a message, but for important messages, the owner can still use the Bulletin board.  

If they can do this, I bet this sign would be a huge seller for club owners (of which there are many).

Ah! Okay. I THINK I got it. Basically it works the same way as the custom named stage chairs work in the club. Even though the club owner may put my name on a chair, it won't show up until they arrive at the club. Not as much fun as I had hoped.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 21 of 26 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

Thanks for the notes! We definitely appreciate all feedback that gives us some direction on things to improve.

And again, thank you for being so involved with the community.  I don't want to take credit for the creation of the Start/Finish Gate as I suspect you were working on this well before I even mentioned it... But seeing how quickly you have responded to feedback, and possible future updates to address some of the issues brought up is really remarkable! Kudos again!

GameMechanics wrote:

On Ornaments versus Appliances - I agree that the Start/Finish Gate should be an appliance. Honestly, those things usually get set up once without much thought and remain unless someone notices a better place. I would argue that the sign is an Ornament, but I can see that putting it under Appliance would probably be fine also. We want to blur the line between active and normal furniture items. That is why all our tables and chairs that are active are under Tables and Chairs.

Normally I wouldn't mind, but the problem is that Ornaments is such an insanely unorganized category.  I must easily have hundreds of items in my Ornament storage folder, as this has become the catch-all of categories when others don't apply.  It's a hot topic among those that have been asking for a long time for relief when it comes to item management.

The nice thing about the Appliance folder is that it isn't nearly as crowded as Ornaments (although its certainly becoming one of the more popular categories thanks to all the great active items that have been coming out).  Ideally they will be able to add more categories, but if not, and it's not too much trouble, it would be great if these active items could be moved to the Appliance folder, but if not, Its by no means any kind of deal breaker.

GameMechanics wrote:

I do not believe there is a way for us to do anything about copy/paste. I just checked and I do not see anyway to control it. There may not be, but I will ask.

Its only a very minor inconvenience, but thanks for checking any way.

GameMechanics wrote:

To Zoom would require us creating a UI which would increase the complexity of te player entering text and increase the slot count. This is designed to leave larger messages anyway. We don't want to encourage people posting their life story on here. We wrote a verse of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" on the sign as a test and it was easily readable with no zoom. Just make sure and use line breaks.

Slot allocation is really important to me, and I suspect a lot of people, so I'm glad you didn't add a zoom option now that I know it would have meant more slots had to be used.  Besides, the R1 camera zoom does a great job, so no worries.

GameMechanics wrote:

The timer was actually designed as you say, then implemented differently. It took me about three minutes to change it and it works. I agree that a lap should take less than 100 minutes to finish, which is now the current limit. We will send this through as soon as we are sure that we have all the fixes required.

That's great news!  Kudos again! (but bad luck for all my friends when they now lose by 1 hundredth of a second Smiley Wink

GameMechanics wrote:

We planned to add more features like keeping track of times to the gate, but every feature seemed to add a couple more slots to the total. Our thought in the end is that a little more work by the player was better than using up more slots. We estimated the full featured version would have taken up 12 slots, but everyone would still have needed their own gate to make the times easier to read. Our current goal is to keep everything as simple as possible so people can have more stuff in their apartments.

And now that I understand that, I would agree completely.  Slot allocation has become a big issue with Home, so any task that can be handled by the user that would otherwise use up more slots I am in full support of.  In fact, I've already been using your Sign active item to keep track of lap times. Smiley Happy

GameMechanics wrote:

We had no access to the Essence of Winds in QA. I will try and get with Juggernaut and see if we can work something out so we can make it happen. I anticipate they would like you to be able to race while flying also. I will try.

Scratch that... Following the same line of critical thinking regarding saving slots, I just realized its very simple to just place the Essence item in a spot where after you go through the gate, the people racing can activate the essence - fly the course, return to the gate, exit essence and run through the gate to stop the timer.  There is no need to actually fly through the gate.  I just wasn't thinking clearly and missed the obvious solution. Smiley Happy

So really, the only remaining issue I have is with the time increments missing the hundreths of seconds, and that sounds like you already are working on a future update to address that.  Thanks!

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 22 of 26 (124 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013
I think I'm going to pick this up tonight. I have an idea the Xi Continuum apartment might make for an interesting track.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 23 of 26 (114 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

May 23, 2013

For those curious how many gates you can use at once, it looks like you can have as many as the space you are using them can fit.  You can also overlap the poles to give yourself extra room:

20130523 134545.jpg

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 24 of 26 (113 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
193 posts

May 23, 2013

That is awesome!

And the photo is in the Cutthroats space which I designed and worked on. Double Awesome!!

Message 25 of 26 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3091 posts

May 24, 2013

This is a great item and I can live with loosing 3 slots.  My only negative comment would be that the timer function should include at least 1/10 second increments. Racing to the nearest second makes for a lot of ties.

Gamer first, Member second, Retired Moderator third.
No, I'm not a Moderator, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Message 26 of 26 (82 Views)