Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Re: Game Mechanics: Start/Finish Gate

May 21, 2013

Zeelot wrote:

Very cool idea, but the space is gonna have to be a big one for this to be any fun. I have a few large spaces i couldd use this in.

Agreed, if only one car fits under this then its not worth it to me

Message 11 of 26 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

May 21, 2013

You get to race SLOW LMOs? sounds like more worthless junk that will be storage in 2 weeks

Message 12 of 26 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1507 posts

May 21, 2013

They never listen to us...lmao...great idea and better response,Thats how it's supposed to work,good stuff all around...Smiley Wink

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Message 13 of 26 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4509 posts

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2013

OK so I bought the Start/Finish Gate (no shock there) Smiley Happy  as well as the Personalized Large Sign (as I thought this would be good for recording lap times - and I was right, its great for that).  While there are issues that I hope can get fixed, I'm still glad I bought these and they are certainly a great first step towards being able to have more fun LMO racing in Home.

Here are my observations and thoughts:

Personalized Large Sign

How it works:

The item is in the ornaments folder and uses 4 slots.  After it is placed in a space, anyone can click on it and add or change any text they like (although there is a censor for inappropriate words).  The text is automatically resized to fit the sign, and everything is aligned to the center of the sign.  So if there is a lot of text you may need to use the R1 camera's zoom option to read it clearly.

Pros:

Large Sign

Text can be viewed from both sides.

Text automatically resizes based on how many lines and characters you use.

Have yet to hit any limits on characters and lines (even had over 20 names and times listed)

Guests can Add to the Board (but this also means they can delete or change what's there so be careful who you invite)

Cons:

Placed in Ornaments folder

Copy and Paste Functions are Disabled.

No Zoom Option (but R1 camera zoom works just as well if not better)

Suggestions:

PLEASE move this from the Ornaments folder to the Appliances folder where almost all active items are placed.

It might be nice if there was an option to change the color of the text (its only in red right now).

If possible, having Cut & Paste features could be useful.

Start/Finish Gate

How it works:

The item is in the ornaments folder and uses 3 slots.  After it is placed in a space, anyone can click on it.  When you click Set-up and click X for "yes" your name appears on the gate and it says START, but the timer wont start until you pass through the gate.  Then it changes to FINISH while the timer is running, and then says "TIME" and stops the clock when you go through the gate again (no multiple lap times).  Everyone in the space will see their name and time as it appears on the gate.  Only one person can use a gate at a time.  So if you are racing against multiple people at the same time, each will need their own gate.

Pros:

It looks good and works! Smiley Happy  

No countdown, the timer starts when you go through the gate, and stops when you go through the gate again.

Name of the racer, time and result can be seen by everyone.

Result displays until you start a new race.

Cons:

Placed in Ornaments folder

Timer only goes down to seconds (needs hundredths of seconds)

No option for tracking multiple lap times

The gate is too small to fly through when using the Essence of Winds (not a big deal, but would have been fun to have flying races) I don't know what I was thinking, just place the Essence after the gates, and start flying after running through the gate and exit Essence when you return to the gate.

Suggestions:

PLEASE move this from the Ornaments folder to the Appliances folder where almost all active items are placed.

An option for multiple lap times would be nice, but I can also understand this may simply be too difficult to implement.

The timer absolutely needs to include hundredths of seconds.  In fact, the preview image shows the timer at 00:00:00 which implied it was Minutes : Seconds: Hundredths of Seconds - as it makes no sense to track hours for a single lap.

Going down to just seconds is not good enough considering how short the races are in most spaces due to the size of most spaces and item limits - and the fact that most LMOs have the exact same speed, so races will be very close based on how difficult the course is to navigate.

Of all the things I'd like to see get changed it would be to have the timer track hundredths of seconds.

Overall both of these items are great, but the Start/Finish Gate could be much improved (and really necessary for most races) by tracking hundredths of seconds.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 14 of 26 (167 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

May 23, 2013

BUSHWICKED2 wrote:

You get to race SLOW LMOs? sounds like more worthless junk that will be storage in 2 weeks

Maybe not Bushy.

I mean if you own all the apartments like some people do, and you have a lot of spacious ones, I think it could be fun to set up a track using free hay-bales from the Prairie and adding some ramps using  dance floors. 

I was kind of on the fence about buying one, but after reading D Nitrates comprehensive review with both Pro's and Con's I think I might actually get one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 26 (153 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

May 23, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

Great review D, just had a follow up question since I haven't seen the board in action, yet. Could it also be used in clubhouses to post next meeting times, special events, or just leave other members humorous messages, or is it only really good for posting names and times?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 16 of 26 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Game Mechanics Developer
193 posts

May 23, 2013

Thanks for the notes! We definitely appreciate all feedback that gives us some direction on things to improve.

On Ornaments versus Appliances - I agree that the Start/Finish Gate should be an appliance. Honestly, those things usually get set up once without much thought and remain unless someone notices a better place. I would argue that the sign is an Ornament, but I can see that putting it under Appliance would probably be fine also. We want to blur the line between active and normal furniture items. That is why all our tables and chairs that are active are under Tables and Chairs.

I do not believe there is a way for us to do anything about copy/paste. I just checked and I do not see anyway to control it. There may not be, but I will ask.

To Zoom would require us creating a UI which would increase the complexity of te player entering text and increase the slot count. This is designed to leave larger messages anyway. We don't want to encourage people posting their life story on here. We wrote a verse of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" on the sign as a test and it was easily readable with no zoom. Just make sure and use line breaks.

The timer was actually designed as you say, then implemented differently. It took me about three minutes to change it and it works. I agree that a lap should take less than 100 minutes to finish, which is now the current limit. We will send this through as soon as we are sure that we have all the fixes required.

We planned to add more features like keeping track of times to the gate, but every feature seemed to add a couple more slots to the total. Our thought in the end is that a little more work by the player was better than using up more slots. We estimated the full featured version would have taken up 12 slots, but everyone would still have needed their own gate to make the times easier to read. Our current goal is to keep everything as simple as possible so people can have more stuff in their apartments.

We had no access to the Essence of Winds in QA. I will try and get with Juggernaut and see if we can work something out so we can make it happen. I anticipate they would like you to be able to race while flying also. I will try.

Thanks again for all the info. Now I have to go do some work. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26 (136 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4509 posts

May 23, 2013

JulianMatisse wrote:

Great review D, just had a follow up question since I haven't seen the board in action, yet. Could it also be used in clubhouses to post next meeting times, special events, or just leave other members humorous messages, or is it only really good for posting names and times?

I was hoping this was the case (leaving messages and allowing members to leave messages in clubhouses).  As not only does the built-in bulletin board not let members leave messages, but even the messages the owner leaves don't last.  I think the longest you can set it for is a month.

What's interesting though is how the sign works depending on different scenarios:

1) Owner makes a message (1), while no one is there and leaves the club, members who enter after that will only see the default message (0).

2) Owner goes back to club, and now everyone there with the owner will see the message (1) pop up.

3) Owner leaves,  a member leaves a message (2), owner arrives, and message turns to (1).

4) Owner stays, a member leaves message (2), owner leaves, comes back, and message (2) pops up.

So from what I can tell so far, in order for a message to be "saved" you have to be in the space when that message is posted, and the last message that you saw will be the one displayed the next time you are visiting a club, unless the owner arrives and they have an older message.  This could get particularly confusing if several members left different messages at different times and all met at the club.  Not sure how it decided which message will be displayed.

It's complicated, and I'm not sure how well I just laid out what I have found so far... lol

Bottom line though, while members and owners can leave messages... Only the people in the club at the time will see that message saved the next time they visit the club... So it sort of defeats the purpose.

If Game Mechanics could possibly tweak it so that messages are saved for everyone to see without having to be in the club at the time the message is made, that would be really helpful!  Yes, it means a club member might accidentally delete or edit a message, but for important messages, the owner can still use the Bulletin board.  

If they can do this, I bet this sign would be a huge seller for club owners (of which there are many).

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 18 of 26 (117 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
193 posts

May 23, 2013

This is a limitation of the combination of clubs, items and saved data. There is no good solution for this right now. The only good solution is for the owner to change the signs and be there when people arrive. I know this isn't good, but it is all we have.

If it ever changes, we will update all our saved text items immediately.

Message 19 of 26 (111 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4509 posts

May 23, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

This is a limitation of the combination of clubs, items and saved data. There is no good solution for this right now. The only good solution is for the owner to change the signs and be there when people arrive. I know this isn't good, but it is all we have.

If it ever changes, we will update all our saved text items immediately.

I figured that was going to be the case, but didn't hurt to ask. Smiley Happy

I will say though, I love the sign, and its great for making a custom leaderboards for games in personal spaces!

So for all you gamers with friends, this is a great item to use to keep track of your scores as well as for yor friend's scores if they so chose.

"Like it never happened"

Message 20 of 26 (98 Views)