Ghost of Sparta
13194 posts

Re: Game Mechanics Speaks

[ Edited ]
Oct 22, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

They didn't get my money. I'm not personally interested in spaces that cost that much money. 

I'm 100% that users here wanted to buy the space but heard the price was announced (heck YourPSHome.net Interview already say that before this) and its expensive and people on the forums complained.

I wish theres a solution to pricing- oh wait PLAYSTATION PLUS DISCOUNTS/DAY 1 DISCOUNTS

edit: oh, you can get the Clubhouse version for a cheaper price...of 15 bucks

Message 11 of 45 (393 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13194 posts

Oct 22, 2013

Grand_Moff wrote:

Shadow-Runner wrote:

My point: Some developers only listen to those who open their wallets...and turn a deaf ear to those who think things could be done better...or differently. 

Maybe Im wrong....am I?  What do you think?

This forum is inconsequential to accurately gauge community interest on any product. 

It is handy for users to point out bugs, pricing errors, but many times, this forum has missed the mark completely on product interest.

When you remove from the equation the hundreds of sock accounts, trolls, and other forum fodder on the PS Home page, you're left with approximately 20-40 active forum users. To base the interest, shared amongst [allegedly] hundreds of thousands of users, of a product from a miniscule sample group of 20-40 is laughable. Even for a elementary school kid just learning statistics.

This is exactly why the Forum Polls that GlassWalls used to post on the forums were utter crap.

Then, you have to take into consideration the kinds of people that frequently visit and post on the forums. A majority of them being more seasoned, opinionated, judgmental users. Not your average user.

That leaves you with both a miniscule sample size and a poor quality of diverse opinions. 

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T GET THIS POST AT ALL

Message 12 of 45 (389 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13194 posts

Oct 22, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:

Taken from their Facebook page...

"Don't go spreading this around but we got our first partial week's numbers on our SeaClyff space and so far it is on track to be our #1 seller by UNITS (not dollars). Obviously since it is our highest priced item it is going to be our highest revenue generating item also. We want to thank everyone who believed in us, saw it and bought it. Our plan was if this was successful to do more. It looks like if the trend continues we will be doing more."

You should've have spread the virus facebook post in the forums 

Message 13 of 45 (388 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
381 posts

Oct 22, 2013

al2009man wrote:

Grand_Moff wrote:

This forum is inconsequential to accurately gauge community interest on any product. 

It is handy for users to point out bugs, pricing errors, but many times, this forum has missed the mark completely on product interest.

When you remove from the equation the hundreds of sock accounts, trolls, and other forum fodder on the PS Home page, you're left with approximately 20-40 active forum users. To base the interest, shared amongst [allegedly] hundreds of thousands of users, of a product from a miniscule sample group of 20-40 is laughable. Even for a elementary school kid just learning statistics.

This is exactly why the Forum Polls that GlassWalls used to post on the forums were utter crap.

Then, you have to take into consideration the kinds of people that frequently visit and post on the forums. A majority of them being more seasoned, opinionated, judgmental users. Not your average user.

That leaves you with both a miniscule sample size and a poor quality of diverse opinions. 

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T GET THIS POST AT ALL

^^^

POT CALLS KETTLE "BLACK"  ^^^

Anyway... regarding the "lack of Time of day" options in the SeaClyff Retreat, and whether that's a drawback, this is another issue.

I know everyone would  like to have changeable day/night cycle settings in apartments.  The problem is that I have yet to find any personal space where the day/night settings actually work simultaneously for both owner AND guests.  And this problem seems consistent across mutilple developers.  So until Sony actually fixes the core bug with time-of-day detection for mutliple viewers, well, I'm not holding my breath that any apartment with that feature will actually work as advertised.

In other words: Baked-in day/night cycling when run from serverside seems to work.  User-defined day/night cycling?  Not so much.

Juggernaut's Palace of the 7 Winds and Cutteridge Estate though... hm maybe... I love their graphics and programming code-fu.

Message 14 of 45 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2781 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 22, 2013
Granzellas private beach has user selected day/night (and morning/evening) settings which I believe are seen the same for users and guests.

A big dislike of mine is as you say, when guests see different things to owners, and was certainly a big turn off for me with the DB Mansion as with so many interactions in there but they were only ever seen by those using them. If I was to close a door, I'd like everyone to see that door is closed.

Credit though to Game Mechanics as I do remember reading that they put a lot of effort in to ensuring all interactions were seen by everyone in the room.

I'm really pleased to read GM looks like they will produce more content due to their sales of SeaClyff Retreat. Although I didn't buy SeaClyff Retreat, it was a little bit too bachelor pad to try to decorate as I'd like it for me, but I do like some of the content GM have produced so will certainly look forward to seeing what they bring out next.

Now... I can't quite remember where I was going with this post when I started writing it, I think I need a coffee and I'll re-edit it later if it comes to mind!
Message 15 of 45 (335 Views)
Splicer
43 posts

Oct 22, 2013

I am sure that is good news for Game Mechanics. They certainly wanted in on some of the profits that Diamond mansion was getting.  They now have the green light they needed to roll out more high priced properties.  I mean "premium content" that people are willing to pay for. If 19.99 and up is the new price point for home property.  I guess I purchased my last home. For those prices you can get a home, several bundles of furniture and a outfit! The new home smell wears off the next update in home. Only a few properties that wow the community and stay on our favorite list. Most of these properties didn't have doors opening or sliding mechanisms. They did have a vision and ingenuity. Game Mechanics this is pure cash grab. I like for our developers to stay and continue to produce for home. But these high priced point properties aimed to get maximum dollars isn't the greatest thing for home. I have no problem spending the dollars in home. If they want to outsell their competitors, try using more creative means. 

Message 16 of 45 (311 Views)
Big Daddy
13175 posts

Oct 22, 2013

What a crock of BS. There's no way in hell that a $20 personal space sold more units than any other item they make. That's damage control at the nth degree. This is what he wants you to believe so he can say that the naysayer's were wrong. Sorry there Deuce, just not buying it.

I know way more people who didn't buy the space because of the price, than those that did. Also, if the forum represents a much smaller cross section of Home users, then one can conclude that there were more people who were turned off by the price than those who actually purchased the space.

Message 17 of 45 (310 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29462 posts

Oct 22, 2013

It's not whether more people bought the space as opposed to those that didn't. The fact, as announced, is that the space did well enough to make a profit and become a bestseller for that company. No matter how many people you or I know who bought it or not. There are more people using Home than I will ever know or meet.

The fact is, enough units were sold for Game Mechanics to call it successful.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 18 of 45 (289 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Oct 22, 2013

Not that I would ever buy anything from Game Mechanics regardless of the price, but to me anything I purchase on home is more about the value and not the price and as of late Im steering more towards the entertainment value vs just owning stuff that clutters my inventory.  

So you want to sell me a $20 space? My question would be is it worth $20?  I've seen the space and its not worth the amount of money to me and to those who bought the space thinking its $20 because there must be something pretty impressive about it, Im sure, NO positive that those people will be more careful when purchasing anything else in the future from GM.

How does the saying go?  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  Now don't get me wrong!  Hard work and cost goes into making these and of course they want a profit, but $20 is too much for what you get.  The most expensive space (before this)  was the PSH mansion and Diamond Mansion pieces.  The diamond Mansion pieces is just as interactive as this space with better rewards and a free bundle, not to mention access to the yacht club and X7.  

Message 19 of 45 (280 Views)
Big Daddy
13175 posts

Oct 22, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

The fact, as announced, is that the space did well enough to make a profit and become a bestseller for that company.

The fact is, enough units were sold for Game Mechanics to call it successful.

I didn't say that it didn't sell, or sell well enough make a profit. My biggest argument with this space from the start, was that I believed they could sell "more" with a different pricing strategy.

Obviously, with a $20 price tag, it would take less units sold to reach a break even point and to continue on to profit. With that being said, I challenge Game Mechanics to lower the price now.

My theory always has been that they would've sold, and could sell more units with a lower price. This would be the perfect time to find out.

As with any new release, the majority of sales are going to be within the first few days. By the end of the month it becomes just another personal space for sale, it's not new, it's not fresh and it's pretty much of the radar.

I could be totally wrong here, and so be it. The revenue part is certainly believable, I just don't think it was their number one item by units sold.

Message 20 of 45 (262 Views)
0 Likes