Oct 21 2013
By: Shadow-Runner Survivor 2039 posts

Game Mechanics Speaks

44 replies 640 views Edited Oct 21, 2013

Taken from their Facebook page...

"Don't go spreading this around but we got our first partial week's numbers on our SeaClyff space and so far it is on track to be our #1 seller by UNITS (not dollars). Obviously since it is our highest priced item it is going to be our highest revenue generating item also. We want to thank everyone who believed in us, saw it and bought it. Our plan was if this was successful to do more. It looks like if the trend continues we will be doing more."

So...from this, I deduce: More people liked the Skyclyff apartment & club and bought it...than those who spoke out against it; if you were among those few...it would appear that you were in the minority. The 1% that didnt count. We posted feedback threads regarding the Skyclyff space, back when it was released. The response Game Mechanics gave, was less than satisfying to some. 

My point: Some developers only listen to those who open their wallets...and turn a deaf ear to those who think things could be done better...or differently. 

Maybe Im wrong....am I?  What do you think?

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 1 of 45 (640 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: Game Mechanics Speaks

Oct 22, 2013

They didn't get my money. I'm not personally interested in spaces that cost that much money. Most of these personal spaces are hot for a few weeks until something new comes out.

And providing feedback pro or con is always a good thing. 

Nice to know they made money and that many were happy to spend the money. 

Message 2 of 45 (606 Views)
Fender Bender
2038 posts

Oct 22, 2013
Well, considering Game Mechanics already built the space from community feedback, I think it turned out rather well. As was said, there's always going to be something someone doesn't like something about new content, but I think this space did have a bit of everything for everyone, which made up for it.

The main issue was with feedback obtained after Skyclyff Apartments completion. I really don't think they were able to take the time and resources to go fixing little things everyone didn't like and it also appeared they were quite set on keeping the space as is.

Also the space really didn't have any technical issues upon release so there wasn't much in their eyes that they needed to work on.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 45 (569 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 22, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:

So...from this, I deduce: More people liked the Skyclyff apartment & club and bought it...than those who spoke out against it

Considering they still have not said how many actually sold, even when asked, and that there were far more users posting disinterest in this space due to several issues...Like;

Comparatively small space

No time of day options

No swimming

Unrelated rewards

Some graphical issues, like the ocean looking like its moving 50mph

Helicopter that just keeps hovering unless you make it land, and you can't even go over to it

Nothing that encourages to continue to visit the space to see changes

...and then there is the cost

...than those saying they bought the space and don't regret it - I am not sure how one could deduce that more people liked the Skyclyff apartment & club and bought it than those who spoke out against it.

I suspect if they did release the sales figures, the number of people that bought the Dream Island is probably many times more than that bought the SeaClyff space, even if you compared sales figures over the same amount of time.

That said, I think John and Game Mechanics are a valuable addition to Home, and glad to hear they feel upbeat about continuing to develop Home content.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 4 of 45 (556 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2705 posts

Oct 22, 2013

I like the space so I'm glad they made money on it (apparently did). Was it expensive? Yes it was. Was it too expensive? That's an opinion which may be different for each of us.

I do wish that it had had an open house.

And ohhhhhhhhhh, I'm so curious as to how manyit sold however that's out of curiousity. I don't need to know.

In memory of Jody Westover and all those who fight or have fought cancer

Message 5 of 45 (541 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
624 posts

Oct 22, 2013

It is a great looking space but not $19.99 great thats just my opinion. As the owner of many spaces i can tell you first hand that  like Joanna said its only hot until the next comes along. I appreciate their effort and i do like it but i have spaces under $10 that i prefer more. To each their own.  For $19.99 i bought another cool space some outfits and More Buffalo wings that night then i care to admit lol Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 45 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3093 posts

Oct 22, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote

Considering they still have not said how many actually sold, even when asked, and that there were far more users posting disinterest in this space due to several issues...Like;

Comparatively small space

No time of day options

No swimming

Unrelated rewards

Some graphical issues, like the ocean looking like its moving 50mph

Helicopter that just keeps hovering unless you make it land, and you can't even go over to it

Nothing that encourages to continue to visit the space to see changes

...and then there is the cost

...than those saying they bought the space and don't regret it - I am not sure how one could deduce that more people liked the Skyclyff apartment & club and bought it than those who spoke out against it.

I suspect if they did release the sales figures, the number of people that bought the Dream Island is probably many times more than that bought the SeaClyff space, even if you compared sales figures over the same amount of time.

That said, I think John and Game Mechanics are a valuable addition to Home, and glad to hear they feel upbeat about continuing to develop Home content.

This is so like you - to pick up on only the negative remarks to make your point. Since when don't people complain about any and every personal OR public space? Everyone thinks a space should be exactly what they want - to have every feature that they ever dreamed or heard of. That's not realistic due to memory limitations, as you know. Game Mechanics said exactly what the space offered.

I sincerely doubt that GM or any other developer will ever release exact figures. It may even be against their agreement with Sony. And frankly, why should they? For people like you to pull apart? If I were a developer I certainly wouldn't share sales figures.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 7 of 45 (487 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

Oct 22, 2013

VioletWinds wrote:

I sincerely doubt that GM or any other developer will ever release exact figures. It may even be against their agreement with Sony. And frankly, why should they? For people like you to pull apart? If I were a developer I certainly wouldn't share sales figures.

Right, because what good are facts and figures - they just get in the way of good quality politco/marketing spin.  I guess some people prefer to stay uniformed, perhaps so they can express a personal opinion and attack other people's opinions without having any evidence to prove otherwise.

Perhaps its why some people prefer faith over facts.

Funny though how you try and discredit me in this thread and make no comment when I created a thread to help promote this space... before it came out - or the many posts where I have lent my support of John and Game Mechanics... but I guess (to paraphrase your own words) people like you just like to pull apart what others say.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 8 of 45 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3093 posts

Oct 22, 2013
*yawn*
The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 9 of 45 (463 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1691 posts

Oct 22, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:

My point: Some developers only listen to those who open their wallets...and turn a deaf ear to those who think things could be done better...or differently. 

Maybe Im wrong....am I?  What do you think?

This forum is inconsequential to accurately gauge community interest on any product. 

It is handy for users to point out bugs, pricing errors, but many times, this forum has missed the mark completely on product interest.

When you remove from the equation the hundreds of sock accounts, trolls, and other forum fodder on the PS Home page, you're left with approximately 20-40 active forum users. To base the interest, shared amongst [allegedly] hundreds of thousands of users, of a product from a miniscule sample group of 20-40 is laughable. Even for a elementary school kid just learning statistics.

This is exactly why the Forum Polls that GlassWalls used to post on the forums were utter crap.

Then, you have to take into consideration the kinds of people that frequently visit and post on the forums. A majority of them being more seasoned, opinionated, judgmental users. Not your average user.

That leaves you with both a miniscule sample size and a poor quality of diverse opinions. 

Message 10 of 45 (430 Views)