Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/04/2008
Offline
1728 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 13, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

We have some table and four chair items that take up 3 slots. A Dining Table that has 4 chairs, 4 place settings, a table, 2 candlesticks and a vase AND you can customize the table cloth color and it only takes up 6 slots.

Giving you more that uses less slots is a goal of ours.

So while it sounds like there are no more furniture slots coming, there are furniture items that do more with less. From us at a minimum.


I use some of your tables as I love the fact the chairs are perfectly spaced from the table as opposed to trying to line them up exactly and not running out of furniture slots. 8)

jason 1 8 0 2 1 2 8 signature
Message 11 of 30 (279 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2007
Online
4505 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 13, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

So while it sounds like there are no more furniture slots coming, there are furniture items that do more with less. From us at a minimum.

Quite true, and keep up the great work!  Even though it isn't a slot saver, your Elegant Swing Sofa is very popular with my friends who visit my spaces.

 

Juggernaught is another developer that has been offering items that do more with fewer slots, like their Festive Table, Simple Picnic Table, Picnic Basket, Romantic Mood Vase, Spring Bouquet, and the recent Cactusizer.  

 

Hopefully this is a growing trend, and hopefully Sony and other devs will fix all their older active items to allocate the correct amount of slots for those items.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...


"Like it never happened"


- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 12 of 30 (277 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
Registered: 11/09/2012
Offline
193 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 13, 2013

Okay. This re-do old active items thing has come up a few times, so let me add my perspective on this. There are two scenarios that I see as possible if they re-do the items using less slots:

 

1) Everyone who has bought them is happy with those items and buys less new items since they can now pull out the old items instead. And people who haven't bought them now buy them ignoring the new content of others.

 

2) No one really cares except about one or two of their items and no one goes and buys them because there are much better items out now.

 

In scenario 1 - you bury the 3rd party devs since people will buy less of their items and you have to hope even with all this that the effort breaks even. In scenario 2 - you lose a lot of money hiring people to do the work so the small percentage of old items that people actually would use get revived. And every 3rd party dev goes running as Sony is going back through its 5,000+ catalogue of items and crushing the 3rd party devs with updates.

 

While making a few users happy, I don't think there is a good scenario for Sony doing this. If most of the 3rd party devs left for other reasons, then it makes sense.

 

Just my opinion.

Message 13 of 30 (268 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 04/18/2009
Offline
1454 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 13, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

Okay. This re-do old active items thing has come up a few times, so let me add my perspective on this. There are two scenarios that I see as possible if they re-do the items using less slots:

 

1) Everyone who has bought them is happy with those items and buys less new items since they can now pull out the old items instead. And people who haven't bought them now buy them ignoring the new content of others.

 

2) No one really cares except about one or two of their items and no one goes and buys them because there are much better items out now.

 

In scenario 1 - you bury the 3rd party devs since people will buy less of their items and you have to hope even with all this that the effort breaks even. In scenario 2 - you lose a lot of money hiring people to do the work so the small percentage of old items that people actually would use get revived. And every 3rd party dev goes running as Sony is going back through its 5,000+ catalogue of items and crushing the 3rd party devs with updates.

 

While making a few users happy, I don't think there is a good scenario for Sony doing this. If most of the 3rd party devs left for other reasons, then it makes sense.

 

Just my opinion.


Well put.  Thanks for the explanation.  Smiley Happy  Dean

Posted Image
Message 14 of 30 (259 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2012
Online
2996 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

[ Edited ]
May 13, 2013


GameMechanics wrote:

Okay. This re-do old active items thing has come up a few times, so let me add my perspective on this. There are two scenarios that I see as possible if they re-do the items using less slots:

 

1) Everyone who has bought them is happy with those items and buys less new items since they can now pull out the old items instead. And people who haven't bought them now buy them ignoring the new content of others.

 

2) No one really cares except about one or two of their items and no one goes and buys them because there are much better items out now.

 

In scenario 1 - you bury the 3rd party devs since people will buy less of their items and you have to hope even with all this that the effort breaks even. In scenario 2 - you lose a lot of money hiring people to do the work so the small percentage of old items that people actually would use get revived. And every 3rd party dev goes running as Sony is going back through its 5,000+ catalogue of items and crushing the 3rd party devs with updates.

 

While making a few users happy, I don't think there is a good scenario for Sony doing this. If most of the 3rd party devs left for other reasons, then it makes sense.

 

Just my opinion.



I disagree entirely. People that bought these re-vamped items would be very happy, so the dev wins for customer satisfaction. They will also spread the word, here and other places, so that's FREE advertising by word-of-mouth for the devs. More people would buy these older updated items, so the devs win again with items that were already developed, having new "life".

 

I don't believe an appreciable amount of fewer new items would be sold, the feeding frenzy for new items on Wednesday's NEVER stops.

 

As for GM's Sony scenario -- there aren't 5000+ active items, and only active items would have to bre revised. He also makes it sound like Sony would be insisting that the devs did this and I really doubt that it would happen. It's up to the devs and Sony (separately) to decide how much customer satisfaction is worth. To say nothing of new customers for these older items.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 15 of 30 (244 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 01/28/2012
Online
11828 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 14, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

Okay. This re-do old active items thing has come up a few times, so let me add my perspective on this. There are two scenarios that I see as possible if they re-do the items using less slots:

 

1) Everyone who has bought them is happy with those items and buys less new items since they can now pull out the old items instead. And people who haven't bought them now buy them ignoring the new content of others.

 

No one is making new active items that are the same or even similar to something they have released earlier.

 

2) No one really cares except about one or two of their items and no one goes and buys them because there are much better items out now.

 

There are quite a few actives that would sell good if they were reworked. I've personally passed on items because of the slot usage.

 

In scenario 1 - you bury the 3rd party devs since people will buy less of their items and you have to hope even with all this that the effort breaks even. In scenario 2 - you lose a lot of money hiring people to do the work so the small percentage of old items that people actually would use get revived. And every 3rd party dev goes running as Sony is going back through its 5,000+ catalogue of items and crushing the 3rd party devs with updates.

 

No one is expecting Sony to do anything with regards to reworking older items. In order to try get the last drop of milk from an item, they are now bundling then and selling them for $0.99 in X7

 

While making a few users happy, I don't think there is a good scenario for Sony doing this. If most of the 3rd party devs left for other reasons, then it makes sense.

 

Just my opinion.


 

Message 16 of 30 (233 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/12/2011
Offline
3846 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 14, 2013
:^/ I own quite a few older active items that have never been updated. Most of them I no longer use, for just that reason. However, one item I do still use is Lockwood's Sodium Telepad. Tweaking that to reduce its slot count would free up furniture slots that I could then use for new furniture, active or otherwise, from any and all developers.

So, while I wouldn't buy the Telepads again, I would buy other things once I had more room to put them.

;^) Just my own two cents....
Message 17 of 30 (218 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2007
Online
4505 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 14, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

Okay. This re-do old active items thing has come up a few times, so let me add my perspective on this. There are two scenarios that I see as possible if they re-do the items using less slots:

 

1) Everyone who has bought them is happy with those items and buys less new items since they can now pull out the old items instead. And people who haven't bought them now buy them ignoring the new content of others.

 

2) No one really cares except about one or two of their items and no one goes and buys them because there are much better items out now.

 

In scenario 1 - you bury the 3rd party devs since people will buy less of their items and you have to hope even with all this that the effort breaks even. In scenario 2 - you lose a lot of money hiring people to do the work so the small percentage of old items that people actually would use get revived. And every 3rd party dev goes running as Sony is going back through its 5,000+ catalogue of items and crushing the 3rd party devs with updates.

 

While making a few users happy, I don't think there is a good scenario for Sony doing this. If most of the 3rd party devs left for other reasons, then it makes sense.

 

Just my opinion.


Wow....  If this is how your really feel, I almost feel compelled never to buy content from Game Mechanics.  This whole opinion screams, we don't care how much people spent on these active items, and don't respect those that did and would like to use them except for the fact they do not have room for them in their spaces, and don't care that their slot allocation is wrong.

 

In fact you seem a little happy about it so as to try and get people to re-buy "new" versions of these active items - even though, as someone pointed out, there has been almost no new active items that replicate or even come close to replicating what the older active items do - which is good, as new items should be different - just as older items should be fixed so that they have the correct slot allocation.

 

Furthermore, you make it sound like it is a costly endeavor to update an items slot allocation.  Would you care to explain why you feel this is the case?  As I got a very different impression when talking to a couple of the other developers.

 

Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what you were saying, but it sounds like you feel we should just forget about stuff we bought in the past, or even buy older stuff that we passed on before due to the slot allocation, and should only keep buying new stuff.   Yeah, I get that you have an obvious bias, but this is kind of taking it to a whole other level.  If I could take my kudos away I would. Smiley Sad

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...


"Like it never happened"


- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 18 of 30 (204 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
Registered: 11/09/2012
Offline
193 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 14, 2013

Okay. This is obviously some sort of opinion blender that I wandered into. Kudos one minute, SOB the next. I did not see that coming.

 

My goal was to help understand what I thought was happening. I have no information about or input into what Sony does. I use Home and have many of the items that use 22 slots. I would benefit as you would if they updated them. As a user I would love it if my items used less slots and I got the benefit for free.

 

As a developer, I work really hard to make our items use less slots. I imagine that all the people Sony had to make the items are gone (me being one of them). So any updates would require a new person to take the old assets and update them. Since they were written before the memory slot enhancements, they are likely going to take some massaging to get to work right. In my experience, it is all likely to be very time consuming. It may even take longer than starting from scratch.

 

The cost to reduce the slots depends on the developer and the item.

 

If you have a thought that Sony is going to read this and form an opinion about this, you are right. They are going to think I am an idiot for posting here and may even tell me to stop trying to help. I would not blame them.

 

Please continue your regular programming.

Message 19 of 30 (198 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/31/2010
Offline
2040 posts
 

Re: Furniture slots

May 14, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

Wow....  If this is how your really feel, I almost feel compelled never to buy content from Game Mechanics.  This whole opinion screams, we don't care how much people spent on these active items, and don't respect those that did and would like to use them except for the fact they do not have room for them in their spaces, and don't care that their slot allocation is wrong.


Pretty strange response here from you D-Nitrate since you've been posting requests here on the forum for more open and honest communication from Sony and developers.

 

GameMechanics response seemed pretty honest and to the point to me and I was happy to see it here on the forums.

 

If you think that there are other financial scenarios that would play out why not post them as others have.

 

Condemning the developer for communicating honestly seems counter productive, especialy since you've been asking for more open communications for years.

Message 20 of 30 (188 Views)