Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: Furniture slots

[ Edited ]
May 14, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

Okay. This is obviously some sort of opinion blender that I wandered into. Kudos one minute, SOB the next. I did not see that coming.

My goal was to help understand what I thought was happening. I have no information about or input into what Sony does. I use Home and have many of the items that use 22 slots. I would benefit as you would if they updated them. As a user I would love it if my items used less slots and I got the benefit for free.

As a developer, I work really hard to make our items use less slots. I imagine that all the people Sony had to make the items are gone (me being one of them). So any updates would require a new person to take the old assets and update them. Since they were written before the memory slot enhancements, they are likely going to take some massaging to get to work right. In my experience, it is all likely to be very time consuming. It may even take longer than starting from scratch.

The cost to reduce the slots depends on the developer and the item.

If you have a thought that Sony is going to read this and form an opinion about this, you are right. They are going to think I am an idiot for posting here and may even tell me to stop trying to help. I would not blame them.

Please continue your regular programming.

Thank you for your honesty and willingness to help us understand what is going on with respect to updating older items. It's appreciated and please don't stop trying to help.

I can remember when these forums only had one developer from EA who posted here when I first started posting years ago. Now we have many. That type of communication is more than welcome. 

We can get testy here at times. It's all part of the fun so to speak. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 30 (337 Views)
Survivor
1924 posts

May 14, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

Okay. This is obviously some sort of opinion blender that I wandered into. Kudos one minute, SOB the next. I did not see that coming.

My goal was to help understand what I thought was happening. I have no information about or input into what Sony does. I use Home and have many of the items that use 22 slots. I would benefit as you would if they updated them. As a user I would love it if my items used less slots and I got the benefit for free.

As a developer, I work really hard to make our items use less slots. I imagine that all the people Sony had to make the items are gone (me being one of them). So any updates would require a new person to take the old assets and update them. Since they were written before the memory slot enhancements, they are likely going to take some massaging to get to work right. In my experience, it is all likely to be very time consuming. It may even take longer than starting from scratch.

The cost to reduce the slots depends on the developer and the item.

If you have a thought that Sony is going to read this and form an opinion about this, you are right. They are going to think I am an idiot for posting here and may even tell me to stop trying to help. I would not blame them.

Please continue your regular programming.

These forums sometimes require a thick skin. Sometimes it's too much for me and I avoid it. There are alot of good people here. But somedays it's just plain manure here. 

I'm not anyone special here. Except I use Home and have bought some stuff here and there. And one of the biggest frustrations about Home is that we are often kept in the dark about things that effect and concern us. And anytime a developer communicates with us, I'm VERY glad. 

It won't mean much, but to say thank you, I'll pick something up from your store next time I hop in there. Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 30 (319 Views)
Fender Bender
2704 posts

May 14, 2013

Unless I'm counting wrong, Bramblenook and also BluePrint allow 100 slots for items bought from other devs at the the Store however both Bramblenook and BluePrint also allow a certain number of their own items which can only be used in their own spaces. (Both have items that can be used in other spaces that are "copies" if your will but I'm not talking about them.)

Game Mechanics made some good posts in this thread. Lay off them and don't say if someone posts they should be ready to hear dissenting viewpoints... much as I am making one saying "lay off".

In memory of Jody Westover and all those who fight or have fought cancer

Message 23 of 30 (313 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

May 14, 2013

100 is the most were gonna get...back in 2009 we didn't even have 100 so if u were on back then u know what a pain it was... At 100 it's not bad except those active item's that all take 22 slots each now that's crazy!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 24 of 30 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4521 posts

[ Edited ]
May 14, 2013

julie_love wrote:

If you think that there are other financial scenarios that would play out why not post them as others have.

Condemning the developer for communicating honestly seems counter productive, especialy since you've been asking for more open communications for years.

I already did post other financial scenarios that could easily play out, in this very thread and others, and I wasn't condemning him for being honest, but for completely disregarding scenarios where fixing the slot allocation would very likely benefit everyone, customers and developers alike.  Also, my main issue with the lack of communication is with Sony.   Many of the 3rd party devs do a good job communicating with us.

However, has communication gotten so bad, that no matter what Sony or the Dev says, no matter how unreasonable or one sided, we will jump for joy?  That in itself just shows how bad things have gotten.

OK, so once again, here are some reasonably expected benefits to fixing slot allocations:

1) Encourage new sales for these items from the many people who have openly said that the only reason they did not buy them before was due to the 22 slot allocation.

2) Encourage new sales from people who already bought these items, and use them, who now will have extra room in their spaces to fill with possibly new stuff.

3) Encourage new sales from those hearing about the fixed slot allocation, browsing back through other older items in the store, and find other items they may have first overlooked and now will buy - aka impulse and point of sale (acronym got censored) marketing.

4) Improve customer relations by showing they take pride in their product, and fix these item slot allocations, and thus help relieve some of the limitations that the 100 slot limit places on us.

Not only that, but I also posted possible ways Sony and the other devs could work around the 100 slot limit as well.  It just seems we have come to expect so little now from Sony and Home in general, that we will accept what ever they chose to do, even though it is clear they could do so much more with very little effort.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 25 of 30 (279 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Nov 10, 2013

kudos................... you are a wise man............ 

Message 26 of 30 (177 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 10, 2013

i have the diamond beach mansion....... 3 areas, and 100 slots... what gives....... 100 wasnt even enough to touch up the upstairs alone.....now i have pool, and downstairs to fkgure out.......on top of that the tv's dont play anything good................what gives soney   Smiley Mad

Message 27 of 30 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Nov 10, 2013
Limitations on outdated hardware.
Best bet is to place a table and chairs in every room.
Call it ur house and call it a day.
- Restless Dreams.
Message 28 of 30 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 4, 2013

If we can buy an item which allows us to place 40 items from that cabinet or chest, why can't we buy 40 slots that we can put items of our own choice into?

Message 29 of 30 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
5754 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2013

Another possible solution to make reducing item slots of older items financially viable came to mind earlier. There are 4 beds in Lockwood > Cucumber > Sofa that use 1 item slot and are $1.99, or you can buy them in a bundle with a lamp and dresser for $2.99. Months later, Lockwood introduced active item versions of these same beds for $2.49, but gave owners of the old sofa-category beds the option of buying the new active beds for only $0.49.

This same principle can be applied to reduced item slots: release it as a *new* item and lower the price for owners who supported the original item.

It's also worth noting that when I was looking into the prices of the Lw bed earlier, I noticed that the item slots were reduced from 22 to 6 slots as well! I'm not sure when this occurred, but it translates into a purchase from me now!

Examples of other items that were improved or reduced in some way:
- Musical Tiki Bar by SCE was reduced in slots required AND reduced in price. It went from $4.99 / 22 slots to $2.99 / 8 slots. We were so impressed, we added it to MVP Picks.
- Peeps active items by Heavy Water (excluding the black E3 2011 version) got improved controls and was reduced from 22 to 6 slots. A few clubs I was in had them out and we all had so much fun using them that several of us bought them. I remember telling all my friends how great the improved controls were and putting them out in my spaces when friends were visiting.
- Scribble Shooter was greatly reduced in price from like $6.99 or $7.99 to $1.49 and was always 1 item slot. This also made it into MVP Picks after the price was reduced.

- Plum Tree Pavillion Bed by SCE was reduced from 22 to 12 slots.

- Loot Active Camera was reduced from 22 to 9 slots.

- Granzella has corrected or improved numerous items and gives the updated versions to owners of the originals at Granzella Plaza in Twilight's customer service desk, free of any extra charges.

Customer satisfaction can be contagious. When we're happy with a product or a company, word spreads. That alone is invaluable, but if that's not enough, I honestly wouldn't mind paying $0.49 (or whatever reduced price is reasonable for the updated item in question) for a new, improved version of a product I already bought. If I haven't bought it yet, the improvements just might inspire me to do so!

Message 30 of 30 (116 Views)