Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Re: Funny how quickly some of you diehards have switched sides...

Jun 11, 2013

The-Sarge wrote:

Just remember the good times you had here, and keep your friends on your friends list to keep in touch.  All good things must come to an end.  Life moves on.  I guess Home members will have to as well.  It won't be easy, I know.

Something not often discussed. Thanks for bringing it up.

Many seem to think they will lose their friends if Home shuts its doors but this isn't true. PSN will exist for  several years to come so all you're losing is 1 outlet to speak to your friends on. I've made some great friends on PSN that have turned into real life friendships. Losing Home won't take that away from me. Don't forget the many romantic relationships forged through Home. Would partners break up with each other if they didn't have their sexy avatars to frollic over?

If you feel you cannot form a healthy friendship with your Home friends outside of Home then the basis of that friendship IMO is a hollow one.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 71 of 84 (284 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jun 11, 2013

You're a bit off there, Sarge. Check the part of the press conference where they discuss the cloud streaming technology. PS3 games are specifically mentioned, if I heard it correctly.

It's not true backwards compatibility in the sense that you stick a disc in a console and a game plays, but there are ways for PS3 games to work on a PS4. They just want us to buy them again. Smiley Wink

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 72 of 84 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Jun 11, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

You're a bit off there, Sarge. Check the part of the press conference where they discuss the cloud streaming technology. PS3 games are specifically mentioned, if I heard it correctly.

It's not true backwards compatibility in the sense that you stick a disc in a console and a game plays, but there are ways for PS3 games to work on a PS4. They just want us to buy them again. Smiley Wink

Yes, but based on my understanding, cloud streaming of PS Home would be quite difficult to accomplish.  Possible, yes, but difficult.  It would require more development work then would probably be considered profitable for the service.  Especially for a service that you would not have to buy again, as it was free in the first place.

It is more likely that Sony would sink the resources into developing a PS4 version of Home instead of trying to cloud stream the old one, thus leading to the situation I outlined in my previous post.

So, in practicality, cloud streaming doesn't really change the reality of the situation.

It was an MMO social service that lasted for 5 years, and may continue for a further year.  That's a pretty good run in this industry.  It's time to let it go, gracefully.

Be One With The Game.

Message 73 of 84 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

Jersquall wrote:

EdwCarnby wrote:

KarateChampChad wrote:

StardustChampion wrote:

ralahinn1 wrote:

There is always hope, if home does close, there is no longer any reason for me to buy a new console

How can you say that with a straight face after watching the conference?

Sony learned a tremendous amount from all of their mistakes with the PS3 and completely demolished Microsoft, who are still stumbling around like arrogant dorks. If you play the market, this is an excellent opporunity to invest in SNE.

Of everything that you have said, this is the one thing I agree with. They blew Microsoft out of the water with their conference, they're doing the exact opposite of what MS is doing, which is truly amazing. They're here for the gamers. 

If Home is the only thing that's keeping you from buying a PS4 then....god help you

I agree with that also. The XBOX is dead in the water now.

They will backtrack like crazy watch. too late.

ps4wins.PNG

That has to be a good sign, right? Cat Tongue

In all seriousness though. I actually think that it's pretty cruel that they haven't told us about Home's future. They normally say that no news is good news, so maybe we could take some comfort in that. As each day passes though I'm losing faith more and more.

To me, it's not the end of the world if Home doesn't migrate to the PS4, it would be nice though. I just hate how they are keeping us all in the dark with this.

Maybe we will hear something soon, I really hope we do.

We'll hear them Annouce PS5 before they ever tell us outright they plan to Close PS Home!

Wait and see...

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 74 of 84 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1317 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2013

I thought about this alot Star, and in the end wouldn't you say people holding out HOPE that there's a place called Home on their ps4 is a bad thing? For some of us it's all we have. I'm sure we don't really Need it, but it feels like we do for some of us. I just want to ask you one thing and not starting trouble as I know me and you have had our differences and we've also come around and patched them up, but Is Trying to crush peoples Hope a good thing either?

And before anyone decides to chime in and give him a hard time, We've all been guilty of doing it at some point, even if you don't see you're doing it. Ever disagree'd with someone and told them they're wrong? you're prob doing it

Message 75 of 84 (198 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jun 11, 2013

You are a troll, just a really poor, unfunny one.

And I don't even care much if home goes to ps4, going strictly pc would save money

FF14 WAR
Message 76 of 84 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2705 posts

Jun 11, 2013

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

Well Stardust since Home is closing there is no need for you to come here anymore...

You can leave now.

And take that racist sig with you

If you think the sig is racist, then report it.  

In memory of Jody Westover and all those who fight or have fought cancer

Message 77 of 84 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jun 11, 2013

The-Sarge wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

Yes, but based on my understanding, cloud streaming of PS Home would be quite difficult to accomplish.  Possible, yes, but difficult.  It would require more development work then would probably be considered profitable for the service.  Especially for a service that you would not have to buy again, as it was free in the first place.

It is more likely that Sony would sink the resources into developing a PS4 version of Home instead of trying to cloud stream the old one, thus leading to the situation I outlined in my previous post.

So, in practicality, cloud streaming doesn't really change the reality of the situation.

It was an MMO social service that lasted for 5 years, and may continue for a further year.  That's a pretty good run in this industry.  It's time to let it go, gracefully.

They spent a few minutes last night saying that this is precisely what they want to do. The cloud streaming service is being developed to allow the entire PS library, 1 through 3, to be available on the 4. Or at least a healthy (profitable) chunk of it.

For me, personally, with my love of classic games, this is one of the biggest selling points for the PS4. I've been dreaming of a single box that can hold everything I'd ever want to play. Streaming and the cloud are crap because U.S. infrastructure can't handle it, but it's a big step in the right direction.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 78 of 84 (146 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Kid_Fleetfoot wrote:

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

Well Stardust since Home is closing there is no need for you to come here anymore...

You can leave now.

And take that racist sig with you

If you think the sig is racist, then report it.  

Snitches get stitches...  

Besides other people have to no avail.

I think the mods think its stardusts mother.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 79 of 84 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Jun 11, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

The-Sarge wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

They spent a few minutes last night saying that this is precisely what they want to do. The cloud streaming service is being developed to allow the entire PS library, 1 through 3, to be available on the 4. Or at least a healthy (profitable) chunk of it.

For me, personally, with my love of classic games, this is one of the biggest selling points for the PS4. I've been dreaming of a single box that can hold everything I'd ever want to play. Streaming and the cloud are crap because U.S. infrastructure can't handle it, but it's a big step in the right direction.

Games yes.  but Home is a very different animal.  Cloud streaming Home would require significant re-development of the Home application in and of itself just to work in a streaming environment.

It's not like an actual game.  Especially when it is still in beta, and still has major stability issues of it's own.  Agreed the games streaming is a wonderful idea, if you have the bandwidth.

But Home is a slightly more complex animal, that would have little to no immediate payoff for the resources required to make it work.  Unless they start charging for streaming the PS3 version of Home, that used to be free.  Sell that idea.

If Home as a concept is worth enough to Sony, they will make one for the PS4 natively.  Which means this Home would still be gone.

Either way, the PS3 Home has fewer days ahead than it has behind.  Sorry people.  I hate to say it, but it is probably best to start coming to terms with it now, and prepare for the inevitable.

Be One With The Game.

Message 80 of 84 (98 Views)
0 Likes