Jun 07 2013
By: al2009man Ghost of Sparta 13184 posts

Free for All: So about that PlayStation Home

10 replies 379 views Edited Jun 7, 2013

Found this article from Massively by Joystick

Free for All: So about that PlayStation Home by Beau Hindman

PlayStation Home screenshot

"My birthday is this week, so I thought it was time to grab a PlayStation 3 bundle, something I have been wanting for a while. Not only have the prices dropped for the consoles, but with the next generation coming out soon, I knew that many of the games that I wanted to get for it would be even cheaper. On top of that, the PS3 is the best console for MMOs. It currently hosts several, one of them being PlayStation Home.

My curiosity for Home has been fired up since I heard about it, but I've never before looked into it and have rarely heard anything more from it other than the occasional news story. Most of the time when I ask a PlayStation user about the virtual world, he'll just sort of shrug. It was about time I saw it for myself!

PlayStation Home screenshot

As a long time Second Life player, I knew right away that there would be many comparisons in my head between Linden Lab's darling and Sony's attempt at a virtual world. There are many similarities, but only because both are connected by the obvious social game mechanics. They're both virtual worlds, they both rely heavily on the selling of virtual products and personal spaces, and they both have a distinct look that is usually impressive but often quite ugly. The problem with both spaces and other virtual spaces likeThere or IMVU is that there is too often a lack of consistency. For a game world to look and feel right, there has to be a reliable style and design in that world or things feel mismatched and slapped together."

I feel lazy to copy and paste, have to work with "The AL2009man Website" so you can read more at this link

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/05/free-for-all-so-about-that-playstation-home/

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 1 of 11 (379 Views)
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Re: Free for All: So about that PlayStation Home

Jun 7, 2013

Until 2nd life has capability to use a joystick it cant even compare to Home.

Message 2 of 11 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Jun 8, 2013

eeehhh.. the only "pro" I liked about 2nd life was if you could make it you could keep it; clothes included, you practically have to be a programmer though.

Message 3 of 11 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
165 posts

Jun 8, 2013
I think this article brings up a great point, that Sony should stop being ashamed of Home and commit to it as an MMO. I personally think itd be perfect if as soon as you turned on the PlayStation, you were launched into Home. From there you could go to an area set aside for a game you have bought and start playing or roam around Home, your choice. Its already a game within a game. I know this won't happen, but a girl can dream. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 11 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2518 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 8, 2013

There is a big difference between the users of Secondlife and the users of Home. Typically, Secondlife users don't like Home any more than Home users like Secondlife.

The biggest difference between the two is that Secondlife content is user created and in Home it's all provided by commercial developers. That makes Secondlife popular with builders. Secondlife is not a gaming community, and most of the members do not want it to become one. Linden labs has made attempts to include some game elements, but they are usually received with scorn from the members. There is also adult related content due to their age verification system and designated age related sims. What this means is if you are over 18 you can see whatever sordid and sick sexual perversion humans are capable of thinking of. (although, judging by the behaviors of many Home users, they would probably do the same if they could).

In Home the graphics look much better. That's because it's designed to run on a specific system, whereas Secondlife has to be compatible with a variety of PC configurations. That makes the graphics pretty buggy. Home glitchers do not like it there because glitching is a normal occurrence and no challenge. Home users are more accustom to game consoles, and has been mentioned, prefer a game controller over a mouse and keyboard (although computers can be set up with a wide variety of game controllers).

I have had perhaps 13 of my Home friends over time who have switched over to Secondlife and never came back to Home. Partially due to the lack of maturity among the Home userbase, and the greater freedom of design and customization of their environment. But they also have little interest in games.

It's all about preference. I have a Secondlife account, but I use Home far more often. Shopping is out of control in Secondlife and one can easily spend a fortune there.

Message 5 of 11 (267 Views)
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Jun 8, 2013

Have you ever seen anyone use a controller for second life, are you sure it is possible?

Message 6 of 11 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Jun 8, 2013

Game controllers can be mapped for certain functions and can substitute for a mouse. It's just an input device. Might have to play with settings a little but it should work. They make game controllers for computers modeled after most console based controllers. I have never used one for secondlife, but I am comfortable with keyboard and touch pad.

Message 7 of 11 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Jun 8, 2013

Well i have used controllers on pc for games but i dont think it works for SL unless you have heard somebody do it.

Message 8 of 11 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Jun 8, 2013

I think I still have one around here somewhere. I'll have to try it. But the controller maps to your system regardless of the program you are running. If you assign a control stick to the mouse movement function, it will do that function no mater what you are running.

Message 9 of 11 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Jun 8, 2013

Let me know because I would use SL more if it does.

Message 10 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes