First Son
5 posts

Re: Re: For those who got a invite Please read Dear God please read!

Apr 30, 2007

Neo_X wrote:

Themlasu wrote:
What I don't understand is getting all excited over the preliminary invite email. From what I remember of that email was a large bold link that said "Sign up for Beta". I took that as I was applying for the beta, not accepted into the beta.

Exactly why people should feel even less urged to go crazy when they get it

I have to agree Neo_X, I've applied for lots of betas that I either didnt get accepted for, or was accepted just before live when they were capacity testing. For those of us who didn't get invited and those that were invited to apply but don't get accepted, be content with the fact that this isn't Microsoft, you will be getting Home as a bonus for no additional cost.
Message 21 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
126 posts

Apr 30, 2007
lets hope the home beta site has sign ups too....it would be really cool to get in
Message 22 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
438 posts

Apr 30, 2007

antijohnny wrote:

Neo_X wrote:

Themlasu wrote:
What I don't understand is getting all excited over the preliminary invite email. From what I remember of that email was a large bold link that said "Sign up for Beta". I took that as I was applying for the beta, not accepted into the beta.

Exactly why people should feel even less urged to go crazy when they get it

I have to agree Neo_X, I've applied for lots of betas that I either didnt get accepted for, or was accepted just before live when they were capacity testing. For those of us who didn't get invited and those that were invited to apply but don't get accepted, be content with the fact that this isn't Microsoft, you will be getting Home as a bonus for no additional cost.

And thank God for free stuff!
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Neo_X
Message 23 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3258 posts

Re: For those who got a invite Please read Dear God please read!

Apr 30, 2007

severeon wrote:
I agree whole heartedly, and to my defence, I have not even mentioned that I got the email as well. Its just a beta...

ya, I havent been braggin about how I got the email invite....
Message 24 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Apr 30, 2007
I keep posting in those threads about how this should be about finding bugs and not just about "playing" home. People complain about it not being fair and such but they dont understand what sony is trying to do with beta testers. It would be nice if Sony used a lot of previous testers that have given valuable feedback in the past because you know there are going to be beta testers selected that will play it for a little bit and then not use it any more. They will try to do a stress test on the servers eventually and there probably wont be many people show up for it. Many will get tired of the bugs, if any, and get fed up and quit (you know the type I'm talking about).

If I happen to be selected I won't be dedicating my life to it but I plan on dedicating some time every day to finding any bugs. The key is to not do the same thing every time and to try out all the features. Basically, try to do what you can to crash the system. I also hope that they allow us to add users for every login on the PS3 because that needs tested too.

But like all you, I am tired of seeing posts about wanting extra stuff, whining about not getting invited, and bragging about being invited. Just wait until the selections are made. there will be posts whining about not being slected and bragging about being selected. There are just those kinds of people and there is no way around it.
Message 25 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Apr 30, 2007
I agree on the point that those of us who do get selected in the 2nd round shouldnt be excepting anything special like trophies or what not. I for one would beh appy just to get in and be able to help shape home to make it better for others. Im fairly sure there is quite a bit of others that feel the same way i do.
Message 26 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
203 posts

Apr 30, 2007

tlgibson97 wrote:
I keep posting in those threads about how this should be about finding bugs and not just about "playing" home. People complain about it not being fair and such but they dont understand what sony is trying to do with beta testers. It would be nice if Sony used a lot of previous testers that have given valuable feedback in the past because you know there are going to be beta testers selected that will play it for a little bit and then not use it any more. They will try to do a stress test on the servers eventually and there probably wont be many people show up for it. Many will get tired of the bugs, if any, and get fed up and quit (you know the type I'm talking about).
If I happen to be selected I won't be dedicating my life to it but I plan on dedicating some time every day to finding any bugs. The key is to not do the same thing every time and to try out all the features. Basically, try to do what you can to crash the system. I also hope that they allow us to add users for every login on the PS3 because that needs tested too.
But like all you, I am tired of seeing posts about wanting extra stuff, whining about not getting invited, and bragging about being invited. Just wait until the selections are made. there will be posts whining about not being slected and bragging about being selected. There are just those kinds of people and there is no way around it.

That's exactly right, having done beta tests and even some alpha testing (now that is a nightmare) on the PC it is all about locating bugs. Then you have to notify the developers with as much information as possible. How are people going to feel about having to update home almost every day. Then you have the emergency shutdowns and patches that have to be done. How are people going to feel when they have to give up some of their game time to assist the developers. It's not necessarily all about fun in beta tests, think of it as a job that requires some sort of commitment without monitary compensation. The perk is you get to play something before anyone else, and watch it change to the final product.
Ports to forward to the PS3:
TCP - 80, 443, 5223
UDP - 3478-3479, 3658

In climbing beyond the realm of mortality, there is no disgrace in defeat. In the winds of space there is no dishonor in death.
-Joseph Wilcox (regarding Denali)
Message 27 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3884 posts

Apr 30, 2007

Themlasu wrote:

tlgibson97 wrote:
If I happen to be selected I won't be dedicating my life to it but I plan on dedicating some time every day to finding any bugs. The key is to not do the same thing every time and to try out all the features. Basically, try to do what you can to crash the system. I also hope that they allow us to add users for every login on the PS3 because that needs tested too.

That's exactly right, having done beta tests and even some (alpha testing (now that is a nightmare) on the PC it is all about locating bugs. Then you have to notify the developers with as much information as possible. How are people going to feel about having to update home almost every day. Then you have the emergency shutdowns and patches that have to be done. How are people going to feel when they have to give up some of their game time to assist the developers. It's not necessarily all about fun in beta tests, think of it as a job that requires some sort of commitment without monitary compensation. The perk is you get to play something before anyone else, and watch it change to the final product.

1) Mistakes are only human. That's why there's updates. And even they can mess up; went thru 2 PSPs already.

2) I didn't think anybody else on the boards knew about that! That **** is crazy. Crashing, render problems, texture and all other blah. That's what's probably is taking so long, Alpha Test problems. Sony is trying to get itt prepared for Beta Stage.

But your ending best sums up the experince in testing, it's not fun, unless you love testing. If you are willing to put up with the unexpected happening all the time while testing, you can give serious feedback to see change. You can sit back at the final product and say "I helped create this". That's reward enough for most testers. It's not all about "I got to try or play it before Everyone else" because harsh reality : If you didn't develop it, you didn't try or play it before EVERYBODY. It's all about "H**** crap, I got to test it!"
Message 28 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Apr 30, 2007
It would be sweet if I come up with a unique idea that they use in the final release. Then every time I utilize the idea I can say "That was my idea." it would just be so self gratifying. Especially since nobody never really listens to me anywaysSmiley Happy

The problem I have always come across in betas in the past is the forums. Not that there is anything wrong with the forums but reporting bugs. Usually there are so many threads reporting the bugs that you hate to resubmit the same thing. I know for the Killzone online beta they had the forum for submitting bugs and also the form you could submit. I would expect this to be similar.
Message 29 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1347 posts

Apr 30, 2007
I wander who you are complaining about.    What I find funny is that I don't think I've claimed to get an invite, but everyone has assumed that I did based on my thread about ideas.  So many people have miss understood the intent of the thread that I have not plans of bumping it. 

_____Still want my OtherOS support____________
Sony needs to understand that PS3 3.21 FW provides no security fix. They are only hurting those that have a legitimate use for Linux on the PS3 and also use it for the other functions it was designed to do. Linux stayed on mine until I received RB3 as a gift. I refused to buy a new console to retain all the features my console could do prior to April 1st 2010. I have bought 2 broken 60G units and fixed them for running Linux again.
Message 30 of 44 (3 Views)
0 Likes