Reply
Mar 20 2014
By: don99913 Wastelander 627 posts
Offline

Fear Deleting Home

16 replies 601 views Edited Mar 20, 2014

I read on here how people say to delete Home and then reinstall it if having problems.  I started to last night but noticed the size of Home to be deleted was almost 3 gb.  What exactly happens when you delete this because I dont want to lose anything?  And what makes up this nearly 3gb?  And if I do this does Home icon stay so I can downlload it again?  Also how is this different than clearing cache?   And please no answers like this belongs in support plz 

Message 1 of 17 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/03/2011
Offline
2291 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

Mar 20, 2014

This is a common fear.  All you are deleating if the spaces you have saved on your HD (your most common spaces) and some other character info,

 

If you do a full delete, you may have to recreate your avatar (it's been a while, I'm not 100% sure about that).

 

It's not like you will lose abything y-0ou-0 bought or earned.

Message 2 of 17 (593 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/15/2011
Offline
6531 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

Mar 20, 2014

No worries you'll lose nothing. Everything is on Sony servers. You'll just have to download space's again when you log back on home.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 3 of 17 (590 Views)
Limit Breaker
Registered: 08/15/2007
Offline
16565 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

Mar 20, 2014

 Hi there,

 

When you delete home (Click triangle on XMB Home icon) you only delete the Home App from the XMB.

 

 in doing so you get a fresh updated version when reinstalling (Just click the existing Home icon on the XMB)

 Everything bought or won and estate are all saved on the Sony servers so your EVERYthing Home related will be awaiting you once you re-login.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 4 of 17 (588 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 10/30/2012
Offline
1960 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2014

I just deleted Home and everytime i try to reinstall it, I get "HTTP Status Code: 503".

 

So, yeah, don't do it.


Message 5 of 17 (582 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/22/2014
Offline
1118 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

Mar 20, 2014

I cannot get on right now..

 

Home is off line.  I got stuck on the blue screen with an error code and tried with my secondary account and none of my items didn't show. 

 

But I got those trophy's though    Smiley Happy

 

 photo 90years_zps08bfda1e.png
Message 6 of 17 (578 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/18/2011
Offline
2760 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2014

Hi, Welcome to Home and the Home Forums.

 

When you install Home on your HDD, it automatically reserves a 3G cache on your HDD for Home content downloads. This can be adjusted in the Home settings menu up to as large as 12G. You can also do a cache clear from the same settings menu.

 

All your Purchases, Rewards, Avatar character builds, and Personal Space decor are saved on the Sony servers.

 

When you delete Home, you are only removing the Game software. The 3G you are referring to is the 3G cache which may or may not contain a full 3G of download data. This cache data just makes loading spaces, inventory, etc faster. When you reinstall Home, you will have to redownload each space again to your cache.

 

Clearing this data removes corrupted cache files. Clearing the cache and/or reinstalling Home may help solve issues. However, I have found over recent years that most problems now occur at the Sony server level. The only way to solve these issues is to wait them out. The only downside to deleting Home and clearing the cache, is the additional time spent waiting to download the content to your cache  again.

 

Addendum:

Whenever you have problems on Home, check this Forum and the Home Support Forum before you do anything or waste time trying to solve the issue. If you see others posting about the issue, you will know there is nothing on your end that can fix it. Just relax and wait for Sony to sort it out. Sometimes the issues are Network related, often with your ISP. Again, these are often out of your control.

Posted Image

 
Message 7 of 17 (572 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 01/17/2009
Offline
627 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

Mar 20, 2014

ITCOB1 wrote:

Hi, Welcome to Home and the Home Forums.

 

When you install Home on your HDD, it automatically reserves a 3G cache on your HDD for Home content downloads. This can be adjusted in the Home settings menu up to as large as 12G. You can also do a cache clear from the same settings menu.

 

All your Purchases, Rewards, Avatar character builds, and Personal Space decor are saved on the Sony servers.

 

When you delete Home, you are only removing the Game software. The 3G you are referring to is the 3G cache which may or may not contain a full 3G of download data. This cache data just makes loading spaces, inventory, etc faster. When you reinstall Home, you will have to redownload each space again to your cache.

 

Clearing this data removes corrupted cache files. Clearing the cache and/or reinstalling Home may help solve issues. However, I have found over recent years that most problems now occur at the Sony server level. The only way to solve these issues is to wait them out. The only downside to deleting Home and clearing the cache, is the additional time spent waiting to download the content to your cache  again.


Thanks to everyone for theiir answers so quickly.     I still am kind of wondering what is the difference between clearing cache and deleting Home. 

Message 8 of 17 (547 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 01/17/2009
Offline
627 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

Mar 20, 2014

TDBWID wrote:

I just deleted Home and everytime i try to reinstall it, I get "HTTP Status Code: 503".

 

So, yeah, don't do it.


Are you serious?  BTW you hang out at x7 entrance a lot?   

Message 9 of 17 (539 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/15/2011
Offline
6531 posts
 

Re: Fear Deleting Home

Mar 20, 2014

don99913 wrote:

ITCOB1 wrote:

Hi, Welcome to Home and the Home Forums.

 

When you install Home on your HDD, it automatically reserves a 3G cache on your HDD for Home content downloads. This can be adjusted in the Home settings menu up to as large as 12G. You can also do a cache clear from the same settings menu.

 

All your Purchases, Rewards, Avatar character builds, and Personal Space decor are saved on the Sony servers.

 

When you delete Home, you are only removing the Game software. The 3G you are referring to is the 3G cache which may or may not contain a full 3G of download data. This cache data just makes loading spaces, inventory, etc faster. When you reinstall Home, you will have to redownload each space again to your cache.

 

Clearing this data removes corrupted cache files. Clearing the cache and/or reinstalling Home may help solve issues. However, I have found over recent years that most problems now occur at the Sony server level. The only way to solve these issues is to wait them out. The only downside to deleting Home and clearing the cache, is the additional time spent waiting to download the content to your cache  again.


Thanks to everyone for theiir answers so quickly.     I still am kind of wondering what is the difference between clearing cache and deleting Home. 


Back before we had the option to clear are cache. Deleting Home was the only way to do this.

 

Some folks like myself still delete and re-install Home this way and other folks just clear their cache. It's a personal preference, but pretty much amounts to the same thing getting rid of old data that may be corrupted.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 10 of 17 (531 Views)