Mar 12 2009
By: jiggyteddy Ghost of Sparta 15807 posts

FIRST Month Assessment Grade is C? Final Tally (n=76)...

225 replies 66 views Edited Mar 12, 2009

C+

For the survivors of this board (survivors meaning the people that have persevered through this board and have stuck around), how are you feeling about home now since your last login?

I guess what I am truly getting at is, how was your initial reaction and how do you feel about the app now?  Has anything changed for you?  Perhaps some things that you thought were great at OB on 12/11/08 that aren't so great today?

This thread purpose isn't for feedback, but perhaps it would help to think of it as the first month recap of your thoughts and comparison to now.  Express what progressions have been made.  Express what subtractions have been made.  The good and the bad.

I'll kick this one off.  Here is my Report Card:

The first week was real hectic.  The volume of traffic seemed real real heavy.  I know I had some lag issues, but it held up real well.  No crashes right?  Nothing fatal here... at least none on this side.

The content was pretty barren to me.  I was hopeful that there would be more content there than the last day of CB... fail on that one.  Fine.  These kinds of things can "easily" be developed right?  Not a huge worry for me, but more of a letdown though.

Home is what the community makes of it.  And that first initial reaction was damn some people are just plain old annoying.  

But thats the way it is in the online arena right?  Gotta take the good with the bad right?  Cannot really escape that.  To think so would be quite a utopian view of society.  Or just ignorance. 

Appreciate home for what it is, not what it isn't.

Gee this one came out in full force.  Didn't expect a retail game.  Didn't get one.  

Think about some of you guys that posted comments in this thread, which might be a good reference point for some of you:

Home: Sleeping Giant, A Monster App, or Just a Monster? 

Perhaps some of your thoughts have changed from your responses there?  

Open mics?  They giveth ... and then they tooketh .  *sigh*

I feel like a community needs chatter.  Makes sense right?  Again... take the good with the bad.  I believe such a subtraction genuinely hurts the experience of feeling at "home" with some of your friends.  I certainly hope this is not a permanent thing.

They told us Diesel would be here... and it finally made it.  I was beginning to think they would never make due on that one!  I don't really care for purchasing clothes for my avy, but I was more concerned with them not following through on this one.  Thankfully, they did.  It shows that they are still commited to follow through on what was said in the past.  On this one anyway. Smiley Tongue

Got a "new" gamespace--Red Bull.   Not much more to say about that from me.  Gamespaces are the top concern for me.  No Warhawk and no Resistance 1 month in?  These had been touted way back in that PS Blog post with Uncharted.  Never saw those 2 in CB.  Didn't see them 1 month into OB.  

Gamespaces are what will keep many people coming back.  A consistent update and addition to home with gamespaces will keep the experience fresh and evolving.  These will keep people interested.  Adding items in the mall are nice, but some of us don't care about those things.  And the ones that do, how long can that appeal stay fresh to you?  

Bottom line--3rd party devs embrace home and build gamespaces... and you will have something truly special for the PSN community.  I think this would truly set the bar for online and really make PSN standout over the rivals.  Setting the precedent here would surely benefit PS in the long haul.  

Game launching (which to me is the 2nd most important thing with home) is still a disappointment to me.  I really looked forward to this since the early days of CB, and didn't realy progress too much.  Please Sony, I hope you guys are further in development internally with this than what we know because trust me--this will be a BIG boost for home.  

Now I know... my recap seems all negative.  But if you missed it, I started it with a positive.  No fatal errors and crashes.

Oh and Diesel eventually made it.

To conclude, I think that most of the things I expected to see and happen... did.  For the most part.  I think many of us saw the "monster" forthcoming.  Most of us saw that the harrassment would be there in full force.  And for the realistic CB tester, we didn't get more than we had the day before OB.  The big surprise for me was the "stability" of the servers.  Sure there was some lag, but nothing crazy on my end.  

Overall at this point: C+

Harsh?  Perhaps.  But that is my assessment.

So what is your assessment at this 1 month milestone? 

Please provide a letter grade at this 1 month benchmark (A-F please, with plus or minus is fine if you like!) along with some form of reasoning as to how you came to that grade to share with the community here on the board.  I will try to compile an average for curiousity.

And thanks for any contributions.

Final Tally:

Grade        Frequency            Numerical Equivalent

A+                 1                            (100-97)

A                   2                            (96.9-93)

A-                  2                            (92.9-90)

B+                 2                             (89.9-87)

B                   4                             (86.9-83)

B-                  10                              (82.9-80)

C+                 12                              (79.9-77)

C                   13                             (76.9-73)

C-                  13                              (72.9-70)

D+                 4                              (69.9-67)

D                   5                               (66.9-63)

D-                  4                                (62.9-60)

F                   4                                Below 60

n  =76

median  =  C

mode  =  C

mean  =   5692/76  =  74.89

Some notes on the grading:

1.  Grading scale was done by Colorado State University's Grading Scale for Student Teaching:

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/EdLicense/StudentTeaching/grade_scale.pdf

2.  I will use the "top" number in making numerical computations in regards to the score equivalent to the letter (example: A+ is 100-97, I will use 100 for math purposes.  Scores ending in "0.9" I will just round up to the nearest whole number.).
Message Edited by jiggyteddy on 03-12-2009 05:57 AM
Message 226 of 226 (66 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10934 posts

Re: Now That We Have Passed the 1 Month Milestone...

Jan 13, 2009
when i first got on it i was excited but as of right now it's pretty boring. there's just nothing to do. i log in for a couple minutes and stroll around and that's about it. hopefully it gets better in the future
Message 1 of 226 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1849 posts

Jan 13, 2009
I have logged in every day since the Open Beta began and my excitement level is just as high as it ever was.  With the recent addition of Red Bull Island, and the news of the upcoming EA Sports Complex, how could I not be excited?  Home is going to be huge!  Anyone who fails to realize that doesn't deserve to be a part of it.
Message 2 of 226 (66 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Jan 13, 2009

GAMESHARQ wrote:
I have logged in every day since the Open Beta began and my excitement level is just as high as it ever was.  With the recent addition of Red Bull Island, and the news of the upcoming EA Sports Complex, how could I not be excited?  Home is going to be huge!  Anyone who fails to realize that doesn't deserve to be a part of it.

I completely realize the strength of this program, and it is hard to deny the potential (damn that word!) here.

But I'll be honest... I won't log in everyday though... 

PS:  Would you guys mind posting a "letter" grade at this 1 month marker?  I'd really appreciate it.  If this thread gets enough letter grades and some decent responses, I would like to compile an average score for the users on this board.

Once again, thank you guys. 

Message 3 of 226 (66 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5170 posts

Jan 13, 2009

Ever since HOME Open Beta came out I've only logged in to see the new content that they release, so I would say every once in a while....

The good thing about HOME is that it made me appreciate even more the games that I have...

Message 4 of 226 (66 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6286 posts

Jan 13, 2009

I am sorry to say this, but I liked the Closed Beta better for some reason. I feal that something was lost in translation from closed to open beta. Purhaps it was the closeness the Home community shared in the closed beta. Or at least it felt that way. I have really only logged into the open beta 4 maybe 5 times. Kinda sad. But I would rather just turn on the PS3 and plop in a game and play. I know now once the EA poker thing hits you will find me at the tables everyday. LOL. unless there are unforseen glitches there or the poker feels weird. But if it is strait up Texas Hold'm I will be in Home everyday! But for now I will log in maybe once or twice every two weeks or so. I liked the closed beta better

I will give it the same as you C+ I relize the potetial also. So for now its that but if Sony can pull through it will be great

Message Edited by Chipe13 on 01-13-2009 07:52 AM
http://www.chaselester.com
Message 5 of 226 (66 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Jan 13, 2009

Chipe13 wrote:

I am sorry to say this, but I liked the Closed Beta better for some reason. I feal that something was lost in translation from closed to open beta. Purhaps it was the closeness the Home community shared in the closed beta. Or at least it felt that way. I have really only logged into the open beta 4 maybe 5 times. Kinda sad. But I would rather just turn on the PS3 and plop in a game and play. I know now once the EA poker thing hits you will find me at the tables everyday. LOL. unless there are unforseen glitches there or the poker feels weird. But if it is strait up Texas Hold'm I will be in Home everyday! But for now I will log in maybe once or twice every two weeks or so. I liked the closed beta better

I will give it the same as you C+ I relize the potetial also. So for now its that but if Sony can pull through it will be great

Message Edited by Chipe13 on 01-13-2009 07:52 AM

Thanks for the letter grade Chipe.

I will join you on the table.  I will warn you though, friendly poker doesn't exist with me.  Not until I make the Main Event.

Message 6 of 226 (66 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10934 posts

Jan 13, 2009

jiggyteddy wrote:

GAMESHARQ wrote:

I completely realize the strength of this program, and it is hard to deny the potential (damn that word!) here.

PS:  Would you guys mind posting a "letter" grade at this 1 month marker?  I'd really appreciate it.  If this thread gets enough letter grades and some decent responses, I would like to compile an average score for the users on this board.

well, ignoring the potential and just going by what we have at the 1 month marker, i'll give it a D. because we don't gave game launching or media sharing or trophy rooms or really just anything that was promised and i don't think we get enough options to cusomize our avatars there should be more hairstyles and faces. i guess the only thing keeping me from giving it a complete F is that the environments look nice.

Message 7 of 226 (66 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8233 posts

Jan 13, 2009

Yup no fatal error or crashes. i can agree with that.

The most disappointing things for me are:

Lack of gamespaces

Lack of game launching

If they cant get these things in a timely manner then I will continue staying away from Home.

There is just no sense in logging in, i almost feel stupid asking my clan mates to log onto home with me..

i get the "for what" response nearly everytime

good post.

I give Home a "C" for this month.

-Lack of game launching

-Lack of gamespaces

Only good thing i have to say is that when you place a bunch of people into a chat room, no matter how bare it is, you are bound to make some smiles.

I hope to give them a better grade next month

Message Edited by Recon-X on 01-13-2009 10:56 AM
Message 8 of 226 (66 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Jan 13, 2009

XrobX wrote:

jiggyteddy wrote:

GAMESHARQ wrote:

well, ignoring the potential and just going by what we have at the 1 month marker, i'll give it a D. because we don't gave game launching or media sharing or trophy rooms or really just anything that was promised and i don't think we get enough options to cusomize our avatars there should be more hairstyles and faces. i guess the only thing keeping me from giving it a complete F is that the environments look nice.

Oh damn, I forgot about that trophy room.  Excellent point.

And thank you for contributing a grade for this 1 month marker rob.  

So graphics save home from an outright F for you.  Gotcha.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 226 (66 Views)
0 Likes