Sackboy
358 posts

Re: FIRST Month Assessment Grade is C? Updated 1/15 Scores and Stats (n=52)...

Jan 24, 2009

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

LiquidJ wrote:

World of Warcraft is a game, but it is also a social app that connects gamers and serves as a place for them to hang out.  Until HOME gets game launching in it, WOW can provide a similar enough experience with tons more things to do for gamers. 

The apartment stuff is unique, but, IMO, completely unnecessary until they get the other stuff right.  Especially since it's unfinished and the amount of content for it is next to nothing.  How am I going to invite people to my apartment when there isn't even a reason for them to log on yet?

Your still not getting the point here.  WOW is not a beta it's a finished off program.  I was just pointing out that it took the makers of WOW a very long time to make the World Of Warcraft.  Just like it's takeing Sony a very long time to make Home.  At some point Sony is going to take that beta title off of Home and then it will also be a finished off program and yes Sony will keep adding things to Home for a very long time to come.

You talk about the apartment stuff in Home and how some of it is unnecessary and you are right.  But you will see with time as Sony work many of the bugs out of Home thoes things will become very usefull.  See that's why your a beta tester helping Sony work thoes bugs out. 

Umm...dude I hate to be the one to break it to you but the WOW Beta was just as fun as the final version, for some people it was even better.  And people reviewed it and gave it a score...http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/preview_6091787.html

Message 210 of 226 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
358 posts

Re: A Different Vision in the End

Jan 24, 2009

BitRunner wrote:

jiggyteddy wrote:

@ Narde and Bit:

That is exactly why you would see me bring up "home is a different beast now compared to what the initial vision was" type of comment.

Why?  Because it is true.  Home was meant to be much more in the early stages.  Now, I'm not sure if the vision is the same one anymore.  It seems that home has been going through this identity crisis for over a year now, and I'm not sure what home really is sometimes.  

Ultimately, from a business perspective, home is supposed to be a revenue generating cash cow.  We see this could happen easily.  But in terms of the gaming aspect, not too sure yet.  I think the jury is still out. 

I find that frankly a very scary implication and that's one of the things I fear the most.

Here's the thing...  and I'll use you as an example.  You can walk around and meet new "single-serving friends" all the time on Home.  However, would any of them know who you are as a person?  Would they know how much you've contributed to the closed beta?  Would they know about the kinds of thought you've put into your posts here?...  All without going to these forums?

The answer is obviously no.  In Home as it is today, you're just another "random".  It's good to meet people, but it's a much bigger thing to actually get to know people.  Simply having a few conversations or playing some games does not reveal this.  You need higher forms of communication, this is where I saw the biggest benefit to Pics/TVs/Stereos, it allows for sharing ideas and more, and I was hoping it would eventually expand even more to things like in-Home blogs and forums (in some form, doesn't have to be the standard "bulletin board" type system widely used today), it just makes good sense. 

I will have to admit too, I've never really been into the concept of "Clans" myself if it's people I don't know either IRL, or through some kind of service where we converse regularly.  An example would be that I'm on a Warhawk clan with a guy I talk to on LinkedIn (a business world social networking equivalent of Myspace) on the PS3 Discussion Boards there (those boards are pretty barren though).  Unfortunately I don't know anyone IRL outside of my brother and father who own PS3s (everyone else is either 360 or PC), so I was hoping that Home could help fill that gap.  However, frankly even though I'm getting friends list requests every day, and have talked to several of my people on my friends list numerous times, I don't really know any of them, they're just mild acquaintances at best.  It's no slam on them, I just don't know them that well, there's only so much that text chat and XMB messaging can do.

If Home's overall direction is leaning towards simply meeting people, rather than giving you the tools to help really get to know people, then I don't really know what overall benefit it's going to give me ultimately other than forms of "immediate gratification" like mini-games and the like...  besides that, my friends list is already getting close to maxing out as it is.  At any rate, it's a Beta and it's very early in the game, I still have hope for now at least.

I'm so with you on this.   I work with a lot of gamers, but most of them prefer the other system.  I always thought HOME would be a place for me to meet other people that I could relate to, in respect to games, and then find them whenever I signed on and see what they were up to.  They achieved part 1).  They are moving far far away from part 2) though.

I can't believe how lost SONY is right now.  They have the chance to unite the hardcore and mold our collective power into a financial juggurnaut that turns the heads of the third parties and casuals - just like they did with the PS2.  Instead they are working from the outside in and making HOME feel like a bleek condo, instead of a warm,cozy, and inviting place for gamers.  It's like they want to end with game launching and then all of the sudden everything will be right.  I really hope they don't think that though.  Maybe they had to wait for EA to launch.  Yea, that's what I'm going to tell myself.  They are waiting to have a well-balanced set of games that support game launching instead of just trickleing them out.  I think it's dumb, but it does give me hope =(

Message 211 of 226 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Re: FIRST Month Assessment Grade is C? *Updated* 1/23 Scores and Stats (n=76)

Jan 24, 2009
I will give HOME a B+, It needs some work with game launching and more content. I think HOME is a good way to meet new ppl and find out what they think about games. Pool and bowling are fun too.

PSN: FaithInTheDark
Message 212 of 226 (9 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5009 posts

Jan 24, 2009

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

LiquidJ wrote:

World of Warcraft is a game, but it is also a social app that connects gamers and serves as a place for them to hang out.  Until HOME gets game launching in it, WOW can provide a similar enough experience with tons more things to do for gamers. 

The apartment stuff is unique, but, IMO, completely unnecessary until they get the other stuff right.  Especially since it's unfinished and the amount of content for it is next to nothing.  How am I going to invite people to my apartment when there isn't even a reason for them to log on yet?

Your still not getting the point here.  WOW is not a beta it's a finished off program.  I was just pointing out that it took the makers of WOW a very long time to make the World Of Warcraft.  Just like it's takeing Sony a very long time to make Home.  At some point Sony is going to take that beta title off of Home and then it will also be a finished off program and yes Sony will keep adding things to Home for a very long time to come.

You talk about the apartment stuff in Home and how some of it is unnecessary and you are right.  But you will see with time as Sony work many of the bugs out of Home thoes things will become very usefull.  See that's why your a beta tester helping Sony work thoes bugs out. 

I'm going to throw something out here too.  I don't have hardly any experience with playing WOW it's not my MMORPG of choice (I'm more of a sci-fi/anime nut, so Phantasy Star Universe (which is on the Playstation 2 but I play it on 360 for the Mic Support, and it's about the only game I play on that system) has been my MMORPG of choice), I do know some people who play it though, including one manager where I work who runs a guild (it's amazing the people I meet sometimes lol).

Anyway though, what's the number one problem with MMORPGs?  The content is usually dictated by the publishing company, and thus, you spend waiting periods between updates.  Most of what I see, just like with Home right now, is people come in mass right after an update (in the case of MMORPGs, they make add a new mission or lobby, bump up the level cap, add new shop items, etc), then a few days later the community participation drops right back down to what it was after the novelty wears off.  This is all too common in MMORPGs. 

One thing L_S stated in another thread in regards to Home is that they are trying to make it self-perpetuating, and we already know that they're working on user content features as has been stated, so that's definitely something to be excited about.

Visit my CG Art Gallery at: http://www.johnnyernest.com/projects.php
Message 213 of 226 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5009 posts

Re: A Different Vision in the End

Jan 24, 2009

LiquidJ wrote:

BitRunner wrote:

jiggyteddy wrote:

@ Narde and Bit:

That is exactly why you would see me bring up "home is a different beast now compared to what the initial vision was" type of comment.

Why?  Because it is true.  Home was meant to be much more in the early stages.  Now, I'm not sure if the vision is the same one anymore.  It seems that home has been going through this identity crisis for over a year now, and I'm not sure what home really is sometimes.  

Ultimately, from a business perspective, home is supposed to be a revenue generating cash cow.  We see this could happen easily.  But in terms of the gaming aspect, not too sure yet.  I think the jury is still out. 

I find that frankly a very scary implication and that's one of the things I fear the most.

Here's the thing...  and I'll use you as an example.  You can walk around and meet new "single-serving friends" all the time on Home.  However, would any of them know who you are as a person?  Would they know how much you've contributed to the closed beta?  Would they know about the kinds of thought you've put into your posts here?...  All without going to these forums?

The answer is obviously no.  In Home as it is today, you're just another "random".  It's good to meet people, but it's a much bigger thing to actually get to know people.  Simply having a few conversations or playing some games does not reveal this.  You need higher forms of communication, this is where I saw the biggest benefit to Pics/TVs/Stereos, it allows for sharing ideas and more, and I was hoping it would eventually expand even more to things like in-Home blogs and forums (in some form, doesn't have to be the standard "bulletin board" type system widely used today), it just makes good sense. 

I will have to admit too, I've never really been into the concept of "Clans" myself if it's people I don't know either IRL, or through some kind of service where we converse regularly.  An example would be that I'm on a Warhawk clan with a guy I talk to on LinkedIn (a business world social networking equivalent of Myspace) on the PS3 Discussion Boards there (those boards are pretty barren though).  Unfortunately I don't know anyone IRL outside of my brother and father who own PS3s (everyone else is either 360 or PC), so I was hoping that Home could help fill that gap.  However, frankly even though I'm getting friends list requests every day, and have talked to several of my people on my friends list numerous times, I don't really know any of them, they're just mild acquaintances at best.  It's no slam on them, I just don't know them that well, there's only so much that text chat and XMB messaging can do.

If Home's overall direction is leaning towards simply meeting people, rather than giving you the tools to help really get to know people, then I don't really know what overall benefit it's going to give me ultimately other than forms of "immediate gratification" like mini-games and the like...  besides that, my friends list is already getting close to maxing out as it is.  At any rate, it's a Beta and it's very early in the game, I still have hope for now at least.

I'm so with you on this.   I work with a lot of gamers, but most of them prefer the other system.  I always thought HOME would be a place for me to meet other people that I could relate to, in respect to games, and then find them whenever I signed on and see what they were up to.  They achieved part 1).  They are moving far far away from part 2) though.

I can't believe how lost SONY is right now.  They have the chance to unite the hardcore and mold our collective power into a financial juggurnaut that turns the heads of the third parties and casuals - just like they did with the PS2.  Instead they are working from the outside in and making HOME feel like a bleek condo, instead of a warm,cozy, and inviting place for gamers.  It's like they want to end with game launching and then all of the sudden everything will be right.  I really hope they don't think that though.  Maybe they had to wait for EA to launch.  Yea, that's what I'm going to tell myself.  They are waiting to have a well-balanced set of games that support game launching instead of just trickleing them out.  I think it's dumb, but it does give me hope =(

I think it really comes down to attitude right now.  I really hope Sony's attitude among the newer management is that they are adding these user content features (Pics/TVs/Stereos) because they see the benefits of doing it, not because they're just trying to satisfy constant nagging user requests.  Like I've said before, I wouldn't want the buck to just stop there.  I want to eventually see some forms of continual communication between friends, like similar variants to blogs (in user spaces) and forums (in club houses).  Eventually I want to see them be able to give us some options like persisting our private space on a server so that we can open the doors if we want to let anyone on our friends list in our private space at any time.

Visit my CG Art Gallery at: http://www.johnnyernest.com/projects.php
Message 214 of 226 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
358 posts

Jan 24, 2009

BitRunner wrote:

One thing L_S stated in another thread in regards to Home is that they are trying to make it self-perpetuating, and we already know that they're working on user content features as has been stated, so that's definitely something to be excited about.

As in, User-created gamespaces and content for Home?  I got really excited about that application that looked like we'd be able to make our own clothing, but then it turned out to not work with Home.

Message 215 of 226 (9 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28204 posts

Re: FIRST Month Assessment Grade is C? *Updated* 1/23 Scores and Stats (n=76)

Jan 24, 2009
A+
The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 216 of 226 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3600 posts

Re: FIRST Month Assessment Grade is C?

Jan 25, 2009

My initial reactions were that I was quite impressed however now i hardly visit since theres nothing new to do that I haven't done already.

B-

Message 217 of 226 (9 Views)
Wastelander
660 posts

Re: Now That We Have Passed the 1 Month Milestone...

Jan 26, 2009

Wolverine8780 wrote:

jiggyteddy wrote:

For the survivors of this board (survivors meaning the people that have persevered through this board and have stuck around), how are you feeling about home now since your last login?

I guess what I am truly getting at is, how was your initial reaction and how do you feel about the app now?  Has anything changed for you?  Perhaps some things that you thought were great at OB on 12/11/08 that aren't so great today?

This thread purpose isn't for feedback, but perhaps it would help to think of it as the first month recap of your thoughts and comparison to now.  Express what progressions have been made.  Express what subtractions have been made.  The good and the bad.

I'll kick this one off.  Here is my Report Card:

The first week was real hectic.  The volume of traffic seemed real real heavy.  I know I had some lag issues, but it held up real well.  No crashes right?  Nothing fatal here... at least none on this side.

The content was pretty barren to me.  I was hopeful that there would be more content there than the last day of CB... fail on that one.  Fine.  These kinds of things can "easily" be developed right?  Not a huge worry for me, but more of a letdown though.

Home is what the community makes of it.  And that first initial reaction was damn some people are just plain old annoying.  

But thats the way it is in the online arena right?  Gotta take the good with the bad right?  Cannot really escape that.  To think so would be quite a utopian view of society.  Or just ignorance. 

Appreciate home for what it is, not what it isn't.

Gee this one came out in full force.  Didn't expect a retail game.  Didn't get one.  

Think about some of you guys that posted comments in this thread, which might be a good reference point for some of you:

Home: Sleeping Giant, A Monster App, or Just a Monster? 

Perhaps some of your thoughts have changed from your responses there?  

Open mics?  They giveth ... and then they tooketh .  *sigh*

I feel like a community needs chatter.  Makes sense right?  Again... take the good with the bad.  I believe such a subtraction genuinely hurts the experience of feeling at "home" with some of your friends.  I certainly hope this is not a permanent thing.

They told us Diesel would be here... and it finally made it.  I was beginning to think they would never make due on that one!  I don't really care for purchasing clothes for my avy, but I was more concerned with them not following through on this one.  Thankfully, they did.  It shows that they are still commited to follow through on what was said in the past.  On this one anyway. Smiley Tongue

Got a "new" gamespace--Red Bull.   Not much more to say about that from me.  Gamespaces are the top concern for me.  No Warhawk and no Resistance 1 month in?  These had been touted way back in that PS Blog post with Uncharted.  Never saw those 2 in CB.  Didn't see them 1 month into OB.  

Gamespaces are what will keep many people coming back.  A consistent update and addition to home with gamespaces will keep the experience fresh and evolving.  These will keep people interested.  Adding items in the mall are nice, but some of us don't care about those things.  And the ones that do, how long can that appeal stay fresh to you?  

Bottom line--3rd party devs embrace home and build gamespaces... and you will have something truly special for the PSN community.  I think this would truly set the bar for online and really make PSN standout over the rivals.  Setting the precedent here would surely benefit PS in the long haul.  

Game launching (which to me is the 2nd most important thing with home) is still a disappointment to me.  I really looked forward to this since the early days of CB, and didn't realy progress too much.  Please Sony, I hope you guys are further in development internally with this than what we know because trust me--this will be a BIG boost for home.  

Now I know... my recap seems all negative.  But if you missed it, I started it with a positive.  No fatal errors and crashes.

Oh and Diesel eventually made it.

To conclude, I think that most of the things I expected to see and happen... did.  For the most part.  I think many of us saw the "monster" forthcoming.  Most of us saw that the harrassment would be there in full force.  And for the realistic CB tester, we didn't get more than we had the day before OB.  The big surprise for me was the "stability" of the servers.  Sure there was some lag, but nothing crazy on my end.  

Overall at this point: C+

Harsh?  Perhaps.  But that is my assessment.

So what is your assessment at this 1 month milestone?

Well I can say I really do miss closed beta. The taking of the open mics was a bad idea from the get go. The harassment never really bothered me but then again 75% of my time spent on home is in the private sector. My friends and I the night before open beta threw a big party because we knew that atleast in our case things were going to change within our group due to open beta and the harassment from other people in the central plaza and other places.  First week the first three days I had alot of difficulty even signing in. But when I managed to get there I was amazed by some of the sights . I was impressed with the look of the central plaza , but a month later this has worn off because without an open mic I have no reason to be there.
      I like the gamespaces we do have.. and while I think its a tad late for a Resistance 1 room , I think they should come out with a Resistance 2 room , Warhawk will probably never die either so thats a room that should still be brought in. I know one thing I can do nothing else but look forward .. especially with the EA room on its way. The EA room I think will breathe ALOT of fresh air back into home. It's needed very much so.. but do bring the open mics back ... some of us aren't the same without our mics. Also thanks to the taking of the open mics , I have found ways to utilize the playstation 3's other "chat"service .. ya know the one with 6 people limits ... its pretty interesting. I still come on home , but I usually just chill in my summer house or a club .. went to red bull and that was great I havent had enough time to enjoy it yet. My grade C+
Message Edited by Wolverine8780 on 01-13-2009 10:04 AM
Message Edited by Wolverine8780 on 01-13-2009 10:36 AM

I think I am going to drop my grade down a bit. Lets make this a D due to the fact that reguardless of all the additional content they make .I still get couches thrown at me whenever I join a club. And while that may appear to be funny ... its a force that needs to be reckoned with and fixed. This particular glitch existed before open beta launched as well which now that I think about it , doesn't say alot for the clubs in general , I think they have been neglected and for that fact the grade gets lowered my head can't handle another couch.

PSJunkies.com
Message 218 of 226 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Phantom couch

Jan 26, 2009

So Wolverine... you're getting initiated/hazed with a couch everytime you join a club? 

As for the grade drop... I'll adjust the numbers in a little bit.

And by the way, Happy Lunar New Year to the Asian folks that celebrate... which seem to be far and few on this board.  It is the Year of the Ox. 

Message 219 of 226 (9 Views)
0 Likes