Gaming Beast
1633 posts

Re: Expect Star Wars stuff to be pulled soon...

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:
You never played Jedi Outcast, KOTOR I and II? Battlefront II? Star Wars Arcade (90's), Rebel Assault II, Rebel Strike, SSW trilogy...there were some okay SW games.

The older Star Wars games were pretty good, ill admit. but things started going downhill as soon as KOTOR 2 came out. These days , modern Star Wars games are just as "good" as any other movie-licensed game that come out. The Old Republic is proof of that.

Message 41 of 63 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

EdwCarnby wrote:
You never played Jedi Outcast, KOTOR I and II? Battlefront II? Star Wars Arcade (90's), Rebel Assault II, Rebel Strike, SSW trilogy...there were some okay SW games.

The older Star Wars games were pretty good, ill admit. but things started going downhill as soon as KOTOR 2 came out. These days , modern Star Wars games are just as "good" as any other movie-licensed game that come out. The Old Republic is proof of that.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that BioWare developed the KOTOR games , not PukasArts lol

EDIT: Oops. didnt mean to do that , lol

Message 42 of 63 (311 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

May 7, 2013

Here's a basic lesson in how licensing works:

1. A company creates IP or buys it from someone (George Lucas, for example)

2. The company then decides who gets to use the license, and in what context.

In other words, the Disney/EA annoucement has nothing at all to do with Home. EA isn't going to show up and say "Take that down" because they can't. They just have the rights to develop new games based on Star Wars characters. So I guess we can look forward to Madden with stormtroopers.

Disney can show up and say "Take that down" to the Home team, because they own the content now. They haven't done that yet. Perhaps they will soon, or perhaps they'll let it run until the contract ends. Either way, today's announcement has nothing to do with it.

Also, Iron Man 3 isn't that good and Disney destroys everything.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 43 of 63 (293 Views)
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

May 7, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

Here's a basic lesson in how licensing works:

1. A company creates IP or buys it from someone (George Lucas, for example)

2. The company then decides who gets to use the license, and in what context.

In other words, the Disney/EA annoucement has nothing at all to do with Home. EA isn't going to show up and say "Take that down" because they can't. They just have the rights to develop new games based on Star Wars characters. So I guess we can look forward to Madden with stormtroopers.

Disney can show up and say "Take that down" to the Home team, because they own the content now. They haven't done that yet. Perhaps they will soon, or perhaps they'll let it run until the contract ends. Either way, today's announcement has nothing to do with it.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Message 44 of 63 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12800 posts

May 7, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

COLONEL-KFC- wrote:

EA has bought rights to make Star Wars games... and as we all know, EA pulled pretty much all of thier merchandise from Home.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/06/ea-signs-exclusive-publishing-deal-with-disney...

Finally, now maybe some decent Star Wars games can be produced that arent total crap for once.

meanwhile in any SW Games published by EA's Launch Day = "OMG THIS GAME SUCK MAJOR B-"

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 45 of 63 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12800 posts

May 7, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

HEY, I JUST RECENTLY WATCHED IT BEFORE US LAUNCH

as for Disney...Well Hearlt. you just join the Disney HATE CLUB

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 46 of 63 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3075 posts

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2013

I don't know if any of you would agree with me here. But I think Lucas Arts as a final gesture should release the cantina as a personal space. I mean as a Star Wars fan I would definetly buy it. I also know other Star Wars fans on Home that would buy it too. They could really make some serious cash if they did that. And I think even some people who aren't Star Wars fans would still buy it because it's a cool space.

bobs fed signature
Message 47 of 63 (232 Views)
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

May 7, 2013
If we learned anything from last June, its that no public space lasts forever. Every public space has an expiration date. In fact, Home on PS3 has an expiration date (but I feel that’s still a ways off and I don’t want to derail this from the original topic so I’ll just leave it at that).

Its possible that the Cantina space may stay around, at least for a while, until either the contract runs out or new server space is needed for additional spaces or Disney somehow intervenes. There is precedent for spaces based on expired media to stay around. Hudson space remains, even though Hudson as an entity no longer exists.

And EA’s deal for Star Wars games does not necessarily preclude the removal of Star Wars on Home. I’m no IP lawyer, but I would guess that the only jurisdiction EA would have would be if there was a Home space based specifically on one of the EA-published games, or used Star Wars IP that directly alluded to an EA-produced game. Disney still retains the overall Star Wars license for other non-console and PC platforms such as cellphones, tablets and social applications.

One last thing: I don’t know if this was ever touched upon in the forums recently, but was there ever an update on Heavy Water’s “endeavor” as it relates to Star Wars? Or is that dead in the water?

The point is, its out of our hands so we may as well just enjoy it whilst we can. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
Message 48 of 63 (230 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3761 posts

May 7, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

COLONEL-KFC- wrote:

EA has bought rights to make Star Wars games... and as we all know, EA pulled pretty much all of thier merchandise from Home.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/06/ea-signs-exclusive-publishing-deal-with-disney...

Finally, now maybe some decent Star Wars games can be produced that arent total crap for once.

You've at least played Battlefront 2, right?

Message 49 of 63 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

May 7, 2013

LightOfValkyrie wrote:

LightningEmotion wrote:

COLONEL-KFC- wrote:

You've at least played Battlefront 2, right?

Yeah,.. for PSP lol.

It was decent, I guess.

Message 50 of 63 (201 Views)
0 Likes