Sackboy
406 posts

Re: E3 booth's 30 day free trial voucher code is a major let down

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

I don't have any credit cards either.My Plus expires in 4 hours I was hoping to use the code from E3 to hold me until I can buy another 3 month subscription but it seems I may not be able to do that.Bummer.Also I didn't see any prompt for a credit card after entering the code in the XMB store anyways...arg.Once I entered the code it said it was used or invalid check my entries and all that which I did threee times.k another edit as coffeee slowly seeps to my brain...other than this code errror I like E3 am having fun interesting rewards but no virtual Christina Lee to coincide with the launch of PS4?

Message 21 of 33 (1,004 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
223 posts

Jun 12, 2013

Some here would do good to remember not everyone has access to a CC and I can understand how one may feel when they try and use a voucher for something that is free only to find out you can't use it because one doesn't have a credit card. I have one but I will never put my CC info into the network again after what happen a few years ago. Its why I only use PS Cards now. On a side note I wonder how many parents are going to freak when they find a CC recipes from Sony in their in box that they have no idea how or why its there.

lightning photo tumblr_m9obahTLDP1ra3qoqo1_500_zpsdad312cd.gifthank you BMW
Message 22 of 33 (891 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
183 posts

Jun 12, 2013
I'm with boobinz... My C.C. Info and all other personal info wasn't compromised either. If you guys are so worried about it, take the appropriate measures to make yourself feel ok. Order yourselves a PREPAID credit or debit card. They sell them EVERYWHERE!! Put 10 or 20 bucks on it and use that.

I mean, what do you think a PSN card actually is?? So the next time you run to GameStop to get a new PSN card, remember, Sony has your money the second you buy it
Message 23 of 33 (866 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
223 posts

Jun 12, 2013

While sony may have your money right away with  the a ps card its only in the amount of 10, 20 and 50 dollars. With a CC they have all your money. Oh and the pre paid stuff, trust me been that route. its a pain if you have added a CC before hand.

lightning photo tumblr_m9obahTLDP1ra3qoqo1_500_zpsdad312cd.gifthank you BMW
Message 24 of 33 (669 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
183 posts

Jun 12, 2013
I can only partially agree with you on that. Sony has what I give them. Be it 5, 10, 25, 50, or 100 dollars. Not once has a fraudulent charge been on my account... Not one! But we are digressing from the point here.

If you want a Plus account or want to use a Plus Trial code, you need a valid credit card. If you agree to these terms click OK otherwise head to your local PSN card retailer to re-up your PSN wallets
Message 25 of 33 (565 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jun 12, 2013

For the record, everyone's credit card info was compromised during the hack in 2011. What the hackers didn't get was enough information to associate the card numbers with addresses, which rendered them useless.

Using a prepaid credit card isn't a bad solution. Opening a bank account with a debit card at a different bank than the one where you do most of your banking also isn't a bad idea. You don't want both accounts at the same bank for very obvious reasons.

Still, the breach should be on people's minds. The PS4 is going to have a new network, new servers and, one would expect, the highest levels of security. So what happens to the PS3 network while that lives out its days? Unless Sony makes a very strong and public commitment to PS3 security, I wouldn't be too comfortable storing personal information on it.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 26 of 33 (544 Views)
Sackboy
404 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

I would not mind reading a really comprehensive article on the network breach.  Most of the major(game-related)news outlets reporting on the outage seemed to be engaging in journalism of the "yellow" variety.  Even after the outage was resolved, very few real facts ever came to light.   

Message 27 of 33 (448 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
183 posts

Jun 12, 2013
@steamheart that's probably due to the sheer embarrassment Sony felt for letting it happen in the first place. They are a major business entity but that wouldn't make front page news like if it were a Bank of America ordeal.

But it's to each is own, ya know. Imagine the complaints if they didn't even have the option of a PSN card... There are exclusivities to being a Plus member tho, and I do encourage everyone to at least try it, but you still have to follow their protocol to get it. If I'm not mistaken, don't they have 1 year and 3 month subscription cards you can purchase?? Do you need a C.C. for those?
Message 28 of 33 (376 Views)
Sackboy
404 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

I can say with absolute certainty that you do not need a credit card to purchase a Playstation Plus membership.  I used to procure them from local retailers with nothing more than cash in hand.  Additionally, you are correct about membership increments.  I am not sure on price for a three month card, but 12 month cards usually ran roughly 50 USD(after taxes).  I am not sure about pricing schemes in other markets i.e. European Union or Asia.

Message 29 of 33 (258 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
208 posts

Jun 12, 2013
after sony getting hacked awhile back i dont blame anyone for not wanting to give sony a valid CC number to keep on file..
Message 30 of 33 (158 Views)