This widget could not be displayed.

Re: Does anyone else really dislike the Aurora update?

Apr 6, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

On the plus side, it put an end to the stupid leaderboard for quite a few.....Smiley LOL

I guess getting your name up there isn't that important when you'd have to pay for it...Smiley Tongue Kudos for that!!! 

I did quote you, but here it is again.   Calling the leaderboard stupid is not exactly a ringing endorsement for it to be there in the first place.  Furthermore, you appear to take joy in other people's misery, rather than simply chose to ignore the leaderboard if you feel it is "stupid".  You also seem to take joy that those that did enjoy competing with each other to get high scores now have to pay a lot more, despite having already paid close to $15 for the previous boosters, and that before they could play as many times as they like to get a high score without any additional charge.

So if you are truly curious about my response, the point I was making is why do you care about how others play the game and why are you happy they should now have to pay each time they try and get a high score?

Clear enough now?

Maybe Dean / Digitman3 can do a better job explaining why for some, the leaderboard is not stupid, and adds to their enjoyment of the game.  Or why not post your opinion about the leaderboard on the following thread and see what kind of reaction you get:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/OrbRunner-What-Is-The-New-Max-Score/m-p/3894...

Personally, I am not a leaderboard chaser, but I would never call leaderboards stupid or be happy that those that are have to pay a premium to do it.

You assumed all that from the two sentences you quoted? Did you read my response? I said I find it "amusing". Nothing more, nothing less.

I wasn't going to talk about specific individuals, but you just proved my point.

Dean, aka Digitman3, xDigitman3x, Dean3 has forked out money on three accounts, but I've yet to see his name up there.

If you were willing to go that overboard before, why not now?

Message 21 of 66 (416 Views)

Apr 6, 2013
If your comparing Aurora Orb Runner 1.0 to what is out now then I would say it is infinitely easier. This is all a matter of perspective. Being an Orb Runner veteran I have a hate/love relationship to the several incarnations. The first one IMO was the best but to me there really is not that much skill or strategy to the game from day one. As long as you follow a few simple steps you could do well. To get on the boards on former versions of this game required patience, luck, good vision and a little strategy; period. I don't think much strategy is needed or vision if you have all the perks now. All you have to do is play numerous times for a 5000 plus score. I play it not for the leader board but because I get experience the higher I score. I still love the game but miss the simplistic play of the old days when Dean and I use to play. Back then it was more fun but perhaps I'm just being nostalgic. Leader boards meant more back then for sure. The key was stubbornness.
Message 22 of 66 (404 Views)

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

Arcadian42 wrote:
If your comparing Aurora Orb Runner 1.0 to what is out now then I would say it is infinitely easier. This is all a matter of perspective. Being an Orb Runner veteran I have a hate/love relationship to the several incarnations. The first one IMO was the best but to me there really is not that much skill or strategy to the game from day one. As long as you follow a few simple steps you could do well. To get on the boards on former versions of this game required patience, luck, good vision and a little strategy; period. I don't think much strategy is needed or vision if you have all the perks now. All you have to do is play numerous times for a 5000 plus score. I play it not for the leader board but because I get experience the higher I score. I still love the game but miss the simplistic play of the old days when Dean and I use to play. Back then it was more fun but perhaps I'm just being nostalgic. Leader boards meant more back then for sure. The key was stubbornness.

You mirrored what I was thinking in how to reply to people, who do not understand why we ran Orbs for leaderboard position. Not sure why it would matter to anyone what other people do or do not do with their time and money.

The game has never been complicated. Most of the strategy for earlier versions was developed by OrbRunners like you and Dean. And yes, now it seems that anyone can buy their way on the board. Plus consumables would make it an expensive daily game just for a leaderboard position. Not much of a challenge anymore to remain on the leaderboard for a 24 hour period. I can understand using consumables if you want to level up quickly to earn the rewards. But many of us have chosen to not buy consumables and just level up without any new purchases.

I think the camaraderie and competition of a game that allowed you to enjoy a respite from daily life; would explain why we played and/or competed long after we had already earned the then top level of 100. There were regulars on the board from different regions, who we got to know. It was fun comparing scores and shooting the breeze between runs. 

Interesting that some are concerned or amused by the fact, that the current version of Orbs no longer holds an interest for many of us. But I can assure anyone, who might be amused or concerned;  we have moved on to other games and pursuits. Currently we are enjoying Cutthroats and for me Pottermore. We are still having fun on Home. 

To the OP, sorry if we seem to have strayed from the original intent of this thread. But our posts do tie in with your question, "does anyone else really dislike the Aurora update". Your answer is yes, many of us do. 

Posted Image
Message 23 of 66 (390 Views)

Apr 6, 2013

All I can think is that the people at nDreams saw all those people playing who were at level 100 and they weren't getting any more money from them, even though they were still enjoying the game. So they sat down and had a meeting to figure out how to suck more money out of those people playing without paying -- further. I hope all the leaderboard people quit playing as a "thumb their noses" at these money grubbers.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 24 of 66 (382 Views)

Apr 6, 2013

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

So other than to take away something others clearly enjoy, why would taking the leaderboard improve your personal enjoyment of the game?  

If you are like me and have little or no interest in having your name on a leaderboard, just ignore them, but to suggest they should not exist does not make a lot of sense to me. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What the **** are you talking about?

The Leaderboard is still there. Where did I say I would enjoy the leaderboard taken away?

If you're going quote to me, comment on what I said, not what "you" think I said.

Let me clarify.

The regular people who competed for the leaderboard obviously spent money on the game in the past, why not now?

I can see it being pointless and expensive if they didn't raise the LVL cap. Consumables suck, I know, but the game has changed.

So what I was saying, that something that was important before doesn't seem so important now when there's money involved.

I just find it "amusing", that's all.

It's ok...you can buy your way on now. No need to be bitter Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 66 (368 Views)

Apr 6, 2013

They took away some serious magic from Aurora this last update of theirs.

The space is less attractive because of it.  It almost seems geared towards the bland of Xi.  I don't know about everyone, but if I wanted bland I would play in a black & white text chat world, where there is nothing to see, only read (which actually can be fun in the right settings with a good story), or what nDreams seems to be doing is heading towards colorless worlds.

Perhaps the fantastic orbs from before took up a lot of memory?  All that animation of them floating around, along with Orb Runner's end-game animation.

Still that's a poor excuse. Home is a visual world first & foremost.  nDreams make your spaces more magical, not less.  If the memory constraints of Home can't deal with it, then expand into a new public space, leaving the Orb Game magical, not toning it down for any reason whatsoever.  Make a new public space or limit what is crammed into the Orb runner space, don't degrade one of Home's favorite Public spaces into something that people want to avoid.

If some white-collar manager thought this was a good idea for memory, marketing, or that popping balloons makes it more magical??

Then they are a fool, a little harsh maybe, but the reality is they should be fired.

Bad move nDreams.

Message 26 of 66 (359 Views)

Apr 7, 2013

I agree I'm not too fond of the new update. I like the new level cap and that I can play again after reaching 100 months ago. But I don't like the changes they made to orb runner, mainly no more orbs and just those big ugly balloons. I mean haven't they ever heard of the term "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it."?

bobs fed signature
Message 27 of 66 (301 Views)

Apr 7, 2013

Did anyone read that statement from nDreams's Joey?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/Aurora-1-7-Update-March-27-new-level-cap-rew...

nDreams_Joey wrote:

Right, well that was a nice few days off followed by a hectic day of email, forum and social media reading. It was the Easter Bank Holiday in the UK, we get the Friday and Monday off so apologies for not being around.

Firstly, when we release an update, any product really, we know it's not going to be met with universal approval. I was expecting this with Aurora as I expect this with all our products. After release I will always keep an eye on the forums and our social channels to see what is being said and use this in conjuntion with the data that we get every second of every day on how people use our products, how many people are visiting, how many people are playing orbrunner etc.

With regards to little issues that are cropping up, we are getting a list of all of them and working on a few in one go. We have limited resources and need to work effectivley. If you have mentioned an issue (that is a code / art issue, not just your dislike of the update) then it is more than likely it will be fixed soon, numbers on the back are a good example.

If I don't respond in the forums please don't think it is me being rude or ignoring you, my job role includes a lot with Community work being one part of it, I read every post and make a note of every issue, I can't always respond to everything, hopefully you will appreciate that and know that I try to be one of the most open people on the forums when it comes to our products.

To those hardcore players who played purely for scoreboard reasons, I went back to Digitman as a PM and as of yet have not heard back from him, I'm always happy to have conversations about peoples gripes and will be honest with you when discussing them. If the scoreboards are something that a decent percentage of people want to see changed then we will look at it, that was not something that was said to get those players off my back, if the demand is there we will look at doing it. 

Since the update we have had a huge surge in the number of people visiting Aurora and playing Orb Runner and while I use the forums a lot and read them everyday the vast percentage of Home users do not use the forums and that is where our data comes into it. Again, I appreciate that a percentage of the users on the forums are those that spend everyweek and you guys and girls have great ideas that so deserve to be listened to and I always will listen to them and put them to the team.

When I have an update on Aurora I will let you know, Unless there's urgent queries I won't be responding too much to this thread now. Again, not being rude or disrespectful of your thoughts, I will read them all and make note of them all.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, positive, negative, indifferent. All of it is needed and all of it is valuable.

Joey

I'm also going to send this thread to Joey/nDreams. (via Twitter) if not tomorrow via email

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 28 of 66 (291 Views)

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2013

I'm also going to send this thread to Joey/nDreams. (via Twitter) if not tomorrow via email

Okay, thanks! Also thanks to everyone for the great constructive feedback and thoughts, even if you disagreed. Smiley Happy

I think that what matthewaristotle calls Xi's "blandness" was a unique and interesting visual style. It's just ... the opposite of Aurora. It's like complaring the flat (but animated) tiles of a Windows Phone with the lush icons and textures of an iPhone. They're both attractive, but in different ways.

Aurora's new UI is not attractive at all, IMO. Also, in hindsight, the sound effects are really bad now as well.

Message 29 of 66 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Apr 7, 2013

I love all of the new ideas and things that they added. I love the good orb attractor and the bad orb deflector. I love the idea of doubling the amount of orbs present in a run. I love the idea of slowing down time, especially when you already have the ultimate time bundle. The only only only thing I hate..........Why the redesign the orbs and make them sound like bubbles? I was happy w/ the orbs I had.

Message 30 of 66 (266 Views)