Treasure Hunter
4509 posts

Re: Does anyone else really dislike the Aurora update?

Apr 6, 2013

Jewel_fox wrote:

The Good:

Level cap raised, more stuff added. Good, I guess.

When you find out how much more XP you need to reach the new levels you might change that to The Bad category as well.   It appears you will need more XP (+250,000) to go up just those 20 new levels than all the XP it takes to go from 1 - 100.

For instance, if you are at level 47, so far you have collected about 20,000 XP.  To get to 120 from there you will need to collect about 500,000 more XP.  So however long it took you to get to level 47, if you maintain the same pace, multiple that time by 25.  So if it took you say three months to get to level 47, then at that same pace, it will take you six years to reach level 120.

This is likely the reason nDreams has so far avoided releasing the specific XP requirements for the new levels, as it would not look good in light of their comments that anyone can get to level 120 without spending a cent.  While technically it might be possible... Realistically its unlikely anyone could when you start doing the math and how long and how much time must be spent to do that.

Jewel_fox wrote:

Does anyone else feel the same way? Not that I think you're wrong if you don't, I just personally really don't like how it turned out and it feels like a huge disconnect from how things used to be.

You are definitely not alone:

[POLL Feedback Thread] Aurora 1.7

Aurora 1.7 Update March 27 (new level cap, rewards, boosters)

Aurora XP Structure Info

And I'm glad you brought up how they removed the ending orb animation where the orbs we collected are added to the balloon - it was one of my favorite things about collecting the orbs as it gave the space a more RPG element than just a mini game.

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

On the plus side, it put an end to the stupid leaderboard for quite a few.....Smiley LOL

I guess getting your name up there isn't that important when you'd have to pay for it...Smiley Tongue Kudos for that!!!

Like you, most leaderboards do not appeal to me personally, but they clearly appeal to many other people, and leaderboards do not get in the way of my own personal enjoyment of a game, so why would I, you or anyone else want to put an end to leaderboards?  I personally appreciate when games are designed to appeal to a broad group of people who chose to play the game with different things in mind.

So other than to take away something others clearly enjoy, why would taking the leaderboard improve your personal enjoyment of the game?  

For me, having the leaderboard doesn't take anything away from my own experience with the game.  In fact, I have used the leaderboard to see what scores are at least possible, not that I care if I ever got on the leaderboard myself, but I like to know what is possible.  If anything, I think the leaderboard should be expanded for people who like to compete with their friends, and compare all-time scores as well as monthly, weekly, and daily.  These kinds of leaderboards are actually common place, even in Home.

If you are like me and have little or no interest in having your name on a leaderboard, just ignore them, but to suggest they should not exist does not make a lot of sense to me.  If anything the leaderboard should be expanded so those that do appreciate leaderboards can use them more affectively.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 11 of 66 (371 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

I'm sure that reaching any leader board is more satisfying when you don't have to buy your spot.

castle3
Message 12 of 66 (362 Views)
VP of Gaming
28579 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Though the game has lost it's magical quality, immersion and mystery, I still like playing it. I like the expansion.

Why it was changed, who knows? Maybe the change made it easier to see and play, or maybe it was a technical issue that forced the change?

It would be nice to get an answer, or even an update to return the game to what it looked like before. But I'm not going to hold my breath. I'll keep playing as long as the game is there.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 13 of 66 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3821 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Everything changes in home.  I really like the Constructive Criticism OP.  It's very important in a concern or report.  I'm going to personaly say it's for sure different, but I enjoy Aurora a lot.  When I'm on home, I go there to do my rounds and chat with people there.  I actaully like the new Orbs game. 

Nice thread for concern

Bambi-01us
Message 14 of 66 (340 Views)
Splicer
50 posts

Apr 6, 2013
I like the new update but I feel that throwing money at the leader board now takes precedence over some skill and strategy. I know I am a hypocrite by stating any complaints as I still love to compete. Buying time is not necessary and the last reward ( lvl 110), " the blimp" to ride is okay. Overall I give it a 7 out of 10.
Message 15 of 66 (293 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
127 posts

Apr 6, 2013
I could barely tell the orbs apart before, you could see right through them. I can tell them apart easily now. Other than that I don't really notice any differences.
Message 16 of 66 (286 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Arcadian42 wrote:
I like the new update but I feel that throwing money at the leader board now takes precedence over some skill and strategy. I know I am a hypocrite by stating any complaints as I still love to compete. Buying time is not necessary and the last reward ( lvl 110), " the blimp" to ride is okay. Overall I give it a 7 out of 10.

I've seen your name up there, Arc.  I applaud your skill, strategy and money. Smiley Wink

castle3
Message 17 of 66 (284 Views)
Fender Bender
2760 posts

Apr 6, 2013
My gripe is COSMETICS. As almost universally noted, the new orb design is terrible. Hey nDreams Joey, have the team retrofit the game with the old orbs and animations.

Otherwise, you get the xp you are willing to pay for. With all the extras, getting the max xp on the 1st run is EASY. If you are in no hurry, you can progress through the game Slowly but for free. I am ok with the new xp/extras design. For rewards completion hounds like me, it saves valuable time.
Posted Image

Message 18 of 66 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11833 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

So other than to take away something others clearly enjoy, why would taking the leaderboard improve your personal enjoyment of the game?  

If you are like me and have little or no interest in having your name on a leaderboard, just ignore them, but to suggest they should not exist does not make a lot of sense to me. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What the **** are you talking about?

The Leaderboard is still there. Where did I say I would enjoy the leaderboard taken away?

If you're going quote to me, comment on what I said, not what "you" think I said.

Let me clarify.

The regular people who competed for the leaderboard obviously spent money on the game in the past, why not now?

I can see it being pointless and expensive if they didn't raise the LVL cap. Consumables suck, I know, but the game has changed.

So what I was saying, that something that was important before doesn't seem so important now when there's money involved.

I just find it "amusing", that's all.

Message 19 of 66 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4509 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

On the plus side, it put an end to the stupid leaderboard for quite a few.....Smiley LOL

I guess getting your name up there isn't that important when you'd have to pay for it...Smiley Tongue Kudos for that!!! 

I did quote you, but here it is again.   Calling the leaderboard stupid is not exactly a ringing endorsement for it to be there in the first place.  Furthermore, you appear to take joy in other people's misery, rather than simply chose to ignore the leaderboard if you feel it is "stupid".  You also seem to take joy that those that did enjoy competing with each other to get high scores now have to pay a lot more, despite having already paid close to $15 for the previous boosters, and that before they could play as many times as they like to get a high score without any additional charge.

So if you are truly curious about my response, the point I was making is why do you care about how others play the game and why are you happy they should now have to pay each time they try and get a high score?

Clear enough now?

Maybe Dean / Digitman3 can do a better job explaining why for some, the leaderboard is not stupid, and adds to their enjoyment of the game.  Or why not post your opinion about the leaderboard on the following thread and see what kind of reaction you get:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/OrbRunner-What-Is-The-New-Max-Score/m-p/3894...

Personally, I am not a leaderboard chaser, but I would never call leaderboards stupid or be happy that those that are have to pay a premium to do it.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 20 of 66 (258 Views)