Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

KatCall75 wrote:

I know they are just making conversation, but I feel weird telling someone where I am, even if it's just the state.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't tell someone what state I'm in, or is it all just silly?

Is it rude to not answer?

Well whether it's rude or not depends....where are you from again?

Message 11 of 48 (248 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Nov 3, 2012

Its no malice intended I would imagine.

And if you actually think about it its more of a carry over from the old chatroom greetings (of the late 90's and early to mid 2000's) of A/S/L ?

Age ?

Sex ?

Location ?

So most might assume youre a female if dressed as one (which in Home one shouldnt ever make assumptions I guess) so they go to the next question of Location or Age.

Message 12 of 48 (231 Views)
Fender Bender
2742 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 4, 2012

KatCall75 wrote:

I know they are just making conversation, but I feel weird telling someone where I am, even if it's just the state.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't tell someone what state I'm in, or is it all just silly?

It's not rude to not answer or dodge the question or just come and out and say "I'd rather not say." and maybe add a smile. You could always say that have an apartment in Home.

In memory of Jody Westover and all those who fight or have fought cancer

Message 13 of 48 (231 Views)
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Nov 3, 2012

myalana wrote:

KatCall75 wrote:

Well whether it's rude or not depends....where are you from again?

I was born from snowflakes and butterfly dreams.

Message 14 of 48 (233 Views)
Sackboy
416 posts

Nov 3, 2012
I know a lot of people don't want to answer that question and I'm sure they don't feel comfortable answering it. But I love asking that question cause to me it shows a form of trust. I don't really ask right when I meet the person but more like a month or so later. However, it seems to me that you know how to avoid the question, unless they actually persist but I guess its something youll have to to deal with. You know like PSH errors for example.
Message 15 of 48 (220 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2012

KatCall75 wrote:

If you don't feel comfortable doing it don't. You aren't rude. You could always answer North America (lots of people from all of the world) or simply East coast, West coast etc.

I've told some I'm from Home and even at times i'll have fun saying I'm from the game "Perfect Dark", ever heard of it! Smiley Wink

Some feel very comfortable giving away personal information. Others certainly don't. The internet is full of people who aren't always nice and it's not a bad idea to protect yourself. 

Letting close friends know is certainly up to you too. 

Message 16 of 48 (209 Views)
Survivor
1630 posts

Nov 3, 2012

I dont mind telling people im from the Netherlands, some are like cool! others are like, where the hell is that? I think its funny Smiley Happy

on the other hand when im just not in the mood for telling i just say: im from Playstation network, just like you.

photo l_1ac92e40c72f428cb2c1ab1d6c3930c5-1-1.jpg
Message 17 of 48 (198 Views)
Fender Bender
3315 posts

Nov 3, 2012

My usual answer : Earth

And if they insist? : Sol system, Orion Spur, Milky way galaxy. 3rd rock from the sun.

n.b.  I miss that show Smiley Wink

Freedom is not the power to say no.
Real freedom is the power to say yes.

6EQUJ5 Do you copy?

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 18 of 48 (195 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
189 posts

Nov 3, 2012

It depends on context for me. A person I just met I might tell them a state but that's it.  After knowing that certain services only need a little information to reset your password. I'd rather not put too much of my information out there on the internet. That's why my FB is private and meant for family because so many services have a crappy password reset system that might be easy for 'you' in case you forget but .. it could be easy for another and all he/she has to have is a little information.

I saw a girl the other day giving her system's serial number(and other random info) to some guy after he said he could fix 'something' for her. Smiley Indifferent and he said it only requires a 50$ psn card. Smiley Indifferent I was going to report him but honestly, I can't feel bad for an idiot. (There should be internet introductory classes I swear.. So many people get hacked on these online games..& Most of the time it's because they are stupid and not from an actual 'hack')

(*≧▽≦) ♪ One Night Carnival! ☆(≧▽≦*)
http://pandakneesocksxiv.tumblr.com/

Message 19 of 48 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3279 posts

Nov 3, 2012

Just tell them you're from Harbour Studio, its true anyway.

photo rsz_pshomeless1_zpst3ouqfpg.png
Message 20 of 48 (174 Views)