Reply
Highlighted
Nov 03 2012
By: KatCall75 Fender Bender 2291 posts
Offline

Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

[ Edited ]
47 replies 486 views Edited Nov 3, 2012

I know they are just making conversation, but I feel weird telling someone where I am, even if it's just the state.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't tell someone what state I'm in, or is it all just silly?

 

Is it rude to not answer?

Message 1 of 48 (486 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/01/2010
Offline
1620 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

KatCall75 wrote:

I know they are just making conversation, but I feel weird telling someone where I am, even if it's just the state.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't tell someone what state I'm in, or is it all just silly?

 

Is it rude to not answer?


Just tell them a state or city...it dosent matter what you tell them, unless you become good friends of course....I hardly answer them and what gives them the right to ask anyway...They might ask,but that dosent mean you should answer...

To live in the 50's is to not dream of the future. To live in the future is to dream of the 50's. To acknowledge change is to invite it into your life. To live with simplicity is to enjoy the easy things in life...You decide your lifestyle. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 48 (471 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/12/2010
Offline
9504 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012
Thats nothing. Go to EU and the standard greeting is a wang pic to your xmb inbox. Theyre very open minded over there Smiley Sad
Support Forums
Message 3 of 48 (463 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/03/2011
Offline
2291 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

Raven_Croft75 wrote:

KatCall75 wrote:

I know they are just making conversation, but I feel weird telling someone where I am, even if it's just the state.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't tell someone what state I'm in, or is it all just silly?

 

Is it rude to not answer?


Just tell them a state or city...it dosent matter what you tell them, unless you become good friends of course....I hardly answer them and what gives them the right to ask anyway...They might ask,but that dosent mean you should answer...


I can see it from their perspective though.  Being it's one of the quick-post questions, I can understand why people think it's okay to ask.

 

I usually try to side-step the question by an attempt at being clever...

 

"Where are you from?"

"Oh, here and there.  Mostly there, although I've been here for a while."

 

...and if they insist, I then usually just tell them the last place I lived, Chicago. 

 

Message 4 of 48 (463 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/04/2011
Offline
6276 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

Not really, I mean telling them your state isn't giving away anything too personal.

I won't tell them anything more, then that.

 

Message 5 of 48 (463 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/03/2011
Offline
2291 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

smokingpistol wrote:
Thats nothing. Go to EU and the standard greeting is a wang pic to your xmb inbox. Theyre very open minded over there Smiley Sad

This explains why Obama looked so confused after his trip over there.

 

Message 6 of 48 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/04/2011
Offline
6276 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

smokingpistol wrote:
Thats nothing. Go to EU and the standard greeting is a wang pic to your xmb inbox. Theyre very open minded over there Smiley Sad

Maybe too open minded?

The first year, I started Home. I was getting those kind of pictures, in the NA mall by randoms.

Message 7 of 48 (456 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/03/2011
Offline
2291 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

smokingpistol wrote:
Thats nothing. Go to EU and the standard greeting is a wang pic to your xmb inbox. Theyre very open minded over there Smiley Sad

Maybe too open minded?

The first year, I started Home. I was getting those kind of pictures, in the NA mall by randoms.


Ugh.  Worst I ever had was a death threat where someone told me how much they wanted to cut me up. 

 

Message 8 of 48 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/04/2011
Offline
6276 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

KatCall75 wrote:

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

smokingpistol wrote:
Thats nothing. Go to EU and the standard greeting is a wang pic to your xmb inbox. Theyre very open minded over there Smiley Sad

Maybe too open minded?

The first year, I started Home. I was getting those kind of pictures, in the NA mall by randoms.


Ugh.  Worst I ever had was a death threat where someone told me how much they wanted to cut me up. 

 


I've got those too, in the end I think pictures are the worst.

Since they're usually very vulgar, or even disgusting.

Message 9 of 48 (428 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/01/2010
Offline
1620 posts
 

Re: Does anyone else get weird when someone asks, "Where are you from?"

Nov 3, 2012

KatCall75 wrote:

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

smokingpistol wrote:
Thats nothing. Go to EU and the standard greeting is a wang pic to your xmb inbox. Theyre very open minded over there Smiley Sad

Maybe too open minded?

The first year, I started Home. I was getting those kind of pictures, in the NA mall by randoms.


Ugh.  Worst I ever had was a death threat where someone told me how much they wanted to cut me up. 

 


Thats weird I didnt know mental institutions had playstation these days....

 

diorama1.jpg

To live in the 50's is to not dream of the future. To live in the future is to dream of the 50's. To acknowledge change is to invite it into your life. To live with simplicity is to enjoy the easy things in life...You decide your lifestyle. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 48 (427 Views)