Reply
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/29/2010
Offline
1940 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 3, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:
 

what does rent, food, energy, etc have to do with manufacturing costs of virtual products?

they sit at a coputer and design stuff on a program. they arent paying for fabric to make shirts, or ink to print on them, or boxes and shipping to get them to retailers. they produce 1 item and copy and past it as many times as they want. hence there not being an increase in manufacturing.


Not all devs are working out of their parents basement.


doesnt matter where you work. your guys offices could be on the moon, still doesnt change the fact that the cost of creating a shirt is the same now as it was 3 years ago.

 

also, are you implying that if devs did work in their parents basements items in Home would be cheaper? Smiley Tongue


You really, really need to stop. Go try running a business, then come back and post comments. I suspect they'll be far more informed.


I suggest you  stop telling ppl what to do on my thread your not god..



The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 71 of 152 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/29/2010
Offline
1940 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 3, 2013

VioletWinds wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:
 

what does rent, food, energy, etc have to do with manufacturing costs of virtual products?

they sit at a coputer and design stuff on a program. they arent paying for fabric to make shirts, or ink to print on them, or boxes and shipping to get them to retailers. they produce 1 item and copy and past it as many times as they want. hence there not being an increase in manufacturing.


Not all devs are working out of their parents basement.


doesnt matter where you work. your guys offices could be on the moon, still doesnt change the fact that the cost of creating a shirt is the same now as it was 3 years ago.

 

also, are you implying that if devs did work in their parents basements items in Home would be cheaper? Smiley Tongue


You really are clueless about this, aren't you? Go back and read through the thread. Increased expenses of the maker/manufacturer increase costs to the consumer. Get it?


TY



The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 72 of 152 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 08/15/2007
Offline
16565 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 3, 2013

Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging?

 

That is the question posed correct?

 The pricing is on par with what we have expected over the last 2 years. Looking back at estates alone. We asked for more interaction and recieved that and the price never seemed to be extravigant. I say no to the question raised. The cool thing to do is sit on the price and wait for drops and bundles.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 73 of 152 (250 Views)
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/28/2006
Offline
34149 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2013

VioletWinds wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:
 

what does rent, food, energy, etc have to do with manufacturing costs of virtual products?

they sit at a coputer and design stuff on a program. they arent paying for fabric to make shirts, or ink to print on them, or boxes and shipping to get them to retailers. they produce 1 item and copy and past it as many times as they want. hence there not being an increase in manufacturing.


Not all devs are working out of their parents basement.


doesnt matter where you work. your guys offices could be on the moon, still doesnt change the fact that the cost of creating a shirt is the same now as it was 3 years ago.

 

also, are you implying that if devs did work in their parents basements items in Home would be cheaper? Smiley Tongue


You really are clueless about this, aren't you? Go back and read through the thread. Increased expenses of the maker/manufacturer increase costs to the consumer. Get it?


no where in this topic was it said that costs to make items in Home have gone up. you people need to stop making statistics up and need to stop getting so defensive when someone says something that isnt positive about Home.

 

im done, i dont want to deal with the remnants of the Home devote on the forums today.


Message 74 of 152 (245 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
Registered: 11/09/2012
Offline
193 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 3, 2013

the_original_se wrote:
doesnt matter where you work. your guys offices could be on the moon, still doesnt change the fact that the cost of creating a shirt is the same now as it was 3 years ago.

 

also, are you implying that if devs did work in their parents basements items in Home would be cheaper? Smiley Tongue



Actually a vast majority of the items were being produced by Sony three years ago. And Sony would do things like give away the Playground space for free. They set the pricing structure, then left. They did not leave because they were making too much money I guarantee you.

 

BTW, developers who were around 3 years ago also left: Mass Media and JetSet Games for sure. Do you really think they left when all they had to do is make a shirt and they made money? Or do you think it is so easy to make money outside of Home that they left to go pursue easier profits?

 

The reality is that developers are subsidizing most things right now. How much should we lose so you can have a new shirt at a lower price?

 

The biggest thing that would make items cheaper is to have more people in Home buying things. Businesses have revenue points they have to hit to stay in business. If we could do it at a lower price point we would. The reality is that lower initial pricing means lower revenue. Our numbers have borne that out.

 

And no, if our costs were lower items would not be cheaper until we were actually covering our costs. Then we could talk about lowering prices.

Message 75 of 152 (241 Views)
Limit Breaker
Registered: 08/15/2007
Offline
16565 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 3, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:
doesnt matter where you work. your guys offices could be on the moon, still doesnt change the fact that the cost of creating a shirt is the same now as it was 3 years ago.

 

also, are you implying that if devs did work in their parents basements items in Home would be cheaper? Smiley Tongue



Actually a vast majority of the items were being produced by Sony three years ago. And Sony would do things like give away the Playground space for free. They set the pricing structure, then left. They did not leave because they were making too much money I guarantee you.

 

BTW, developers who were around 3 years ago also left: Mass Media and JetSet Games for sure. Do you really think they left when all they had to do is make a shirt and they made money? Or do you think it is so easy to make money outside of Home that they left to go pursue easier profits?

 

The reality is that developers are subsidizing most things right now. How much should we lose so you can have a new shirt at a lower price?

 

The biggest thing that would make items cheaper is to have more people in Home buying things. Businesses have revenue points they have to hit to stay in business. If we could do it at a lower price point we would. The reality is that lower initial pricing means lower revenue. Our numbers have borne that out.

 

And no, if our costs were lower items would not be cheaper until we were actually covering our costs. Then we could talk about lowering prices.


 With new items like LMOs and dance moves I get the feeling the market was set awhile back. You don't run these items up or down to destabilize the economy.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 76 of 152 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/29/2010
Offline
1940 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 3, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging?

 

That is the question posed correct?

 The pricing is on par with what we have expected over the last 2 years. Looking back at estates alone. We asked for more interaction and recieved that and the price never seemed to be extravigant. I say no to the question raised. The cool thing to do is sit on the price and wait for drops and bundles.


TY Jers - Back on topic



The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 77 of 152 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2010
Offline
5381 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging?

Jul 3, 2013
The dance moves are made by a very cheap coompany.
Message 78 of 152 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/15/2010
Offline
2651 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 3, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

no where in this topic was it said that costs to make items in Home have gone up. you people need to stop making statistics up and need to stop getting so defensive when someone says something that isnt positive about Home.

 

im done, i dont want to deal with the remnants of the Home devote on the forums today.


For the record, I said several pages ago that a lot of the stuff that people buy on Home is rubbish. I'm under no delusions about everything on Home deserving positivity.

 

I just tend take more issue with the people who buy the rubbish than the developers who peddle it. That counts double for the ones who repeatedly buy the rubbish, regardless of cost, and then complain that they're being gouged. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone specifically here but we all know who they are.

castle3
Message 79 of 152 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2010
Offline
5381 posts
 

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging?

Jul 3, 2013
The dance moves are made by a very cheap company!


Message 80 of 152 (283 Views)