Game Mechanics Developer
193 posts

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 2, 2013

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

Not all devs are working out of their parents basement.

So are you or not?

I would answer that but my Mom just said I have to clean my room first.

Message 61 of 152 (353 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Jul 2, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

So are you or not?

Chores first...

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 62 of 152 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jul 2, 2013

WOW!

"Tic-Toc"

GameMechanics wrote:

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

So are you or not?

Message 63 of 152 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

its price gouging. over the years devs have seen that people will pay anything, so they have raised the costs beyond what they should be priced.

I'm sorry but your statement defies business logic and contradicts itself.

Prices are ultimately dictated by people's buying habits and not by vendors. Any business will try to sell their products at prices that the market will bear. If, as you assert, "people will pay anything", I'd say that developers should be inclined to raise prices even more and not lower them. How can you argue that costs have been raised "beyond would they should be" in a market where people are willing to pay anything?

When prices become prohibitive to sales, prices will decrease. Just common sense really.

As a potential customer, I obviously do not wish for higher prices but the complainers should place the blame appropriately. Sony and its developers are businesses, not public service agencies. Of course, they will try to sell their products to maximize their profit. What else would you expect? I would blame the people who lack any restraint to resist impulse purchases, not the companies that are selling them what they want to buy. Consumers drive prices in Home, not the greed of developers.

Unless somebody is charging exhorbitant prices for life's necessities (food, water, medicine etc.), I can't see how anyone can accuse them of price gouging. It's pretty difficult to gouge somebody on a discretionary purchase. Developers are just selling people what they want at the set price. That's business.

castle3
Message 64 of 152 (324 Views)
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2013

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

Thanks for your perspective Lisa but its still gouging and  ripping ppl off in my book...
I supposed ripping ppl off regardless if they have a brain or not is right... Morales?
MBA's come a dime a dozen.. No Ones Special...

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 65 of 152 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Jul 3, 2013

jimmynet wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

Thanks for your perspective Lisa but its still gouging and  ripping ppl off in my book...
I supposed ripping ppl off regardless if they have a brain or not is right... Morales?
MBA's come a dime a dozen..

If the buyer receives the product as described for the price as listed, I can't see how they were gouged or ripped off. If the product is somehow defective or its description in the store was not accurate, then I'll call it a rip-off. 

Anyone who buys something on Home while under the impression that they are being ripped off doesn't get any sympathy from me. And I certainly don't blame the developer for the buyer's lack of impulse control and poor judgment. Nobody is forced to buy anything.

castle3
Message 66 of 152 (248 Views)
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

what does rent, food, energy, etc have to do with manufacturing costs of virtual products?

they sit at a coputer and design stuff on a program. they arent paying for fabric to make shirts, or ink to print on them, or boxes and shipping to get them to retailers. they produce 1 item and copy and past it as many times as they want. hence there not being an increase in manufacturing.

doesnt matter where you work. your guys offices could be on the moon, still doesnt change the fact that the cost of creating a shirt is the same now as it was 3 years ago.

also, are you implying that if devs did work in their parents basements items in Home would be cheaper? Smiley Tongue

Message 67 of 152 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jul 3, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

what does rent, food, energy, etc have to do with manufacturing costs of virtual products?

they sit at a coputer and design stuff on a program. they arent paying for fabric to make shirts, or ink to print on them, or boxes and shipping to get them to retailers. they produce 1 item and copy and past it as many times as they want. hence there not being an increase in manufacturing.

doesnt matter where you work. your guys offices could be on the moon, still doesnt change the fact that the cost of creating a shirt is the same now as it was 3 years ago.

also, are you implying that if devs did work in their parents basements items in Home would be cheaper? Smiley Tongue

You really, really need to stop. Go try running a business, then come back and post comments. I suspect they'll be far more informed.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 68 of 152 (223 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Jul 3, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

You really, really need to stop. Go try running a business, then come back and post comments. I suspect they'll be far more informed.

you need to learn what manufacturing costs are.

Message 69 of 152 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2991 posts

Jul 3, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

You really are clueless about this, aren't you? Go back and read through the thread. Increased expenses of the maker/manufacturer increase costs to the consumer. Get it?

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 70 of 152 (273 Views)