Gaming Beast
1940 posts

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 2, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:
Prices are set according to what the customers are willing to pay. That's a free market economy.

If a particular item goes on sale for half price a month after its release, the developer obviously misjudged their price point.

I don't see any gouging. Just a lot of people willing to buy rubbish that I wouldn't spend two cents on.

but if the person wants said item, they have to pay the price. they dont have any other option. if they want it, they have to buy it. they cant shop around for a better deal. so why not hike up the price to get some more profit?

and if you look at the first 2 years of Home, you can easily that prices have multiplied since then. they are all virtual items,so it s not like manufacturing costs rise, so how is it a shirt from 2010 costs $0.50 when one from 2013 costs $1.50? a chair from 2010 costs $0.50 but one from 2013 is $1.00?

its price gouging. over the years devs have seen that people will pay anything, so they have raised the costs beyond what they should be priced.

Really? Rent doesn't go up? Employee salaries don't go up? Energy costs don't go up? Food prices don't go up?

Virtual items are made by real people. Manufacturing costs increase over time, so prices go up.

If anything, Home devs have a much better sense now of what it takes to make a profit than they did three years ago. I'd call the pricing on the vast majority of items fair, with a few examples that are simply too expensive for what they are.

Price gouging only enters the equation if you absolutely must have a particular item. That Jet Setters space is a good example, because there's no other personal space like it. When it comes to things like clothes, LMOs and companions, there's generally more than one option available that allows users to avoid high-ticket items.

This thread isint about rent, salaries, energy to food... Its about virtual items and est 99% already developed...

So stuff made 2-3 years ago cant go down? Its done, made, paid for.............  Sell in quantity at a lower price than the one offs at a higher = $$$

I disagree with you interpretation of gouging as you do mine...

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 51 of 152 (333 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
735 posts

Jul 2, 2013

Yes. well, sometimes.

IRL i once bought a pair of flipflops from Walmart. WITHHOLD YOUR LAUGHTER. They were cute with funky hisbiscus flowers on them and they were only four dollars. After one wearing, the flowers were worn off. After awhile the toe thing popped out rendering them useless. I tried taping it with duct tape for gardening flipflops but that didn't hold. ANYWAYS... I thought I would spend more at another store and get better quality. I wore those for about two wearing before they fell apart... so sad... but then, I bought a brand name, which I got three summers' use out of them. The quality was worth the extra money.

POINT IS... Some items on Home are highly priced, and completely useless junk. Others are cheap and I use TONS. You really have to check things out, and really think if you can use the object to make it worth it. So yes, they overcharge on some items but you gotta use your head when buying and know how to say no.

Message 52 of 152 (330 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Jul 2, 2013

Jimmy that is no longer free in the EU it was part of the welcome back free stuff after the PSN "hacked".

Message 53 of 152 (325 Views)
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

Jul 2, 2013

Brises_0000 wrote:

And you are the one saying it's a message board and people are entitled to their opinion? You are really being a butthead.

Who cares what they charge? just don't pay it and quit being a forum antagonist.

It is a Forum to discuss topics and agree or disagree..

Being a butthead has nothing to do with the topic but just showing your rude...

I care what they charge.. And I wont pay it if I dont want to..

Again read the OP clearly and you will see its a question...

If you think I'm an antagonist stop reading my posts and ignore me.. That YOUR RIGHT..

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 54 of 152 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2681 posts

Jul 2, 2013

re Subject, no.

But neither am I encouraging developers to raise prices. Having said that, I do believe that prices are higher than they used to be and my opinion is that it's partly inflation (small part?) and better and/or more complex items which require more programming time in some cases. 

"As far as I go, As far as I know, I always got a place called Home." - Tiga & memories

Message 55 of 152 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4422 posts

Jul 2, 2013

jimmynet wrote:

stevev363 wrote:

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

I think in Japan, they're only 100 yen. 

Lockwood has never stated why the prices are more expensive in the US, than any other region. I believe these bags are cheaper in EU too, right?

Conracts and licensing, different for each region.

Understood and Gouging doesnt discriminate from region to region either..

Sure, if that's how you see it. With the change of currency in Europe the cost of Exclusives items are lower in price there, is that considered unfair? Obviously not since that's how money conversion works. When we get items from JP or EU they cost more because the currency changes over. The female outfit you are reffering to was made by an EU Dev and for them it was not a huge money decision to give it away in EU for free because the item was made in Europe. When items get licensed to other regions it's not a matter of Sony increasing the price for profit but the exchange of currency. It seems to me your "Gouging" issues have more to do with international money exchange rather than Home being greedy. 

Message 56 of 152 (300 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Jul 2, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:
Prices are set according to what the customers are willing to pay. That's a free market economy.

If a particular item goes on sale for half price a month after its release, the developer obviously misjudged their price point.

I don't see any gouging. Just a lot of people willing to buy rubbish that I wouldn't spend two cents on.

but if the person wants said item, they have to pay the price. they dont have any other option. if they want it, they have to buy it. they cant shop around for a better deal. so why not hike up the price to get some more profit?

and if you look at the first 2 years of Home, you can easily that prices have multiplied since then. they are all virtual items,so it s not like manufacturing costs rise, so how is it a shirt from 2010 costs $0.50 when one from 2013 costs $1.50? a chair from 2010 costs $0.50 but one from 2013 is $1.00?

its price gouging. over the years devs have seen that people will pay anything, so they have raised the costs beyond what they should be priced.

Really? Rent doesn't go up? Employee salaries don't go up? Energy costs don't go up? Food prices don't go up?

Virtual items are made by real people. Manufacturing costs increase over time, so prices go up.

If anything, Home devs have a much better sense now of what it takes to make a profit than they did three years ago. I'd call the pricing on the vast majority of items fair, with a few examples that are simply too expensive for what they are.

Price gouging only enters the equation if you absolutely must have a particular item. That Jet Setters space is a good example, because there's no other personal space like it. When it comes to things like clothes, LMOs and companions, there's generally more than one option available that allows users to avoid high-ticket items.

1261880072522.jpg

what does rent, food, energy, etc have to do with manufacturing costs of virtual products?

they sit at a coputer and design stuff on a program. they arent paying for fabric to make shirts, or ink to print on them, or boxes and shipping to get them to retailers. they produce 1 item and copy and past it as many times as they want. hence there not being an increase in manufacturing.

Message 57 of 152 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jul 2, 2013

jimmynet wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

This thread isint about rent, salaries, energy to food... Its about virtual items and est 99% already developed...

So stuff made 2-3 years ago cant go down? Its done, made, paid for.............  Sell in quantity at a lower price than the one offs at a higher = $$$

I disagree with you interpretation of gouging as you do mine...

I'm not using an "interpretation" of price gouging, I'm using the actual definition: charging an unfair price when no alternative is available. If you're talking about something else, don't use the term "price gouging." Definitions of words are not open to interpretation.

And since no older Home items have gone up in price, I'm not sure where you're hoping that train of thought leads. Things don't go on sale because "we've already made all the money." Things go on sale because they need to be cleared out to make room for new things, or because their salability is about to massively decline. Those rules don't apply in virtual worlds where shelf space is theoretically infinite. If an item doesn't sell any more, you don't lower the price, you delete it from the catalog.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 58 of 152 (276 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
193 posts

Jul 2, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

what does rent, food, energy, etc have to do with manufacturing costs of virtual products?

they sit at a coputer and design stuff on a program. they arent paying for fabric to make shirts, or ink to print on them, or boxes and shipping to get them to retailers. they produce 1 item and copy and past it as many times as they want. hence there not being an increase in manufacturing.

Not all devs are working out of their parents basement.

Message 59 of 152 (263 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Jul 2, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

Not all devs are working out of their parents basement.

So are you or not?

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 60 of 152 (414 Views)
0 Likes