VP of Gaming
29463 posts

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2013

Nope. But I think it's as good enough reason for someone to complain as with anything else in Home (or without).

My personal feeling: I only buy those things that I have the intention of using. I will not buy something that I feel I will tire of in the future. Certainly I cannot see how I will feel later on, but I use my best judgement when deciding to make a purchase (or not).

I can truthfully say that I am happy with all of my purchases. Though I may not use them all of the time, I do use them when I feel the time is right.

My secret for a successful purchase (or non-purchase)- there is no gun at my head.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 21 of 152 (335 Views)
Big Daddy
13175 posts

Jul 2, 2013

I paid $4.99 for a Hair style....Smiley Tongue

The rest of the Lightning outfit went to storage.

Message 22 of 152 (329 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4422 posts

Jul 2, 2013

I don't remember where he posted it on the forums but GlassWalls stated that items made in gold are the hardest to create and have the highest pixel/polygon count of any items being created in Home meaning the price justifies the cost to create. VEEMEE and Lockwood have also stated this in various places. This was a topic that came up during the discussion of the roped theater stairway almost 2 years ago pre X7, back then it was about how the Exclusives store segregates the community due to prices. I still believe that these are items that will only appeal to certain people who will purchase an item perceived as Luxury or exclusive and that is in the eye of the beholder, I own most of the  gold offerings in Home and it's my preference over other color offerings. I don't see it as price gouging but fair compensation for the work done and items offered.

Message 23 of 152 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Jul 2, 2013

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

I paid $4.99 for a Hair style....Smiley Tongue

The rest of the Lightning outfit went to storage.

I did this as well, and I don't regret that purchase.

Cat Happy

Message 24 of 152 (312 Views)
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

Jul 2, 2013

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

jimmynet wrote:

HAA - My interpretation of that response..

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

Not really.

I think developers make items certain prices, because they feel like that's justifiable to them, and the consumers they're dealing with.

Also, since a developer isn't making you buy an overpriced item. I think it's either you buy it, or don't.

Not really = They are but oh well..

I think developers make items certain prices, because they feel like that's justifiable to them, and the consumers they're dealing with.  = Love it or leave it..

Also, since a developer isn't making you buy an overpriced item. I think it's either you buy it, or don't. = DUH

I can see you're not happy with people not sharing the same opinion? Cat Surprised

Sorry to break it to you, but when I see an over priced item on PlayStation Home, I don't think they're gouging us for money at all. Because I either like the item and buy it, or I don't.

Not everyone is going to see eye and eye with your opinion on the gouging tactic. 

You may think that spending $5.99 for a suit is a bit much, and EU getting it free during 2011. Though, when them suits first released, they were everywhere on NA. I didn't see anyone complaining then about the fact EU got it free, and we didn't. 

Its an open forum to share you thoughts thats what I did thats what you did pretty simple that we dont agree, again oh' well..

The pic was just one example of over priced items just so you understand...

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 25 of 152 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Jul 2, 2013

Well I love the Succubus boots but I won't buy a bundle to get them. I know people who bought all the bundles just to have the different color boots. It's their money.

I simply wish they'd sell them separately then I'd buy them and for more than one account. 

Message 26 of 152 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
412 posts

Jul 2, 2013

I think the average pricing in Home is fair. It should be the more an item has to give, the more it costs. That doesn't count for some items, but most of them do.

The only thing I don't like about pricing in Home, is that they never become cheaper, no matter how old the items are.

In real life, new products are sold at their highest price, but after a while, after newer products are released, the prices of the older products are lowered with sometimes 50, 60, or 75% of the original price with a sale or so.

For instance, I would still like to buy Konami's Superstar - Jetsetter Private Plane apartment that, when it was released, was considered proportionally very overpriced at the time, $12.99. You would think that being for sale for over 2 years now that it would only cost $3.99, or so.

But when I took a peek last week, it was still $12.99. Everything else, the other apartments, clothes, companions cost exactly the same as they did 2, 3, 4 years ago.

I think the pricing in Home should be the same as in real life. When items are released, they cost a certain price, and after 8 or 10 month or so, lower the price with 50, or 70% or so.

That way, a lot more people will be more prone to buy them, and enjoy them to the fullest.   

Message 27 of 152 (292 Views)
VP of Gaming
34149 posts

Jul 2, 2013

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:
Prices are set according to what the customers are willing to pay. That's a free market economy.

If a particular item goes on sale for half price a month after its release, the developer obviously misjudged their price point.

I don't see any gouging. Just a lot of people willing to buy rubbish that I wouldn't spend two cents on.

but if the person wants said item, they have to pay the price. they dont have any other option. if they want it, they have to buy it. they cant shop around for a better deal. so why not hike up the price to get some more profit?

and if you look at the first 2 years of Home, you can easily that prices have multiplied since then. they are all virtual items, so its not like manufacturing costs rise, so how is it a shirt from 2010 costs $0.50 when one from 2013 costs $1.50? a chair from 2010 costs $0.50 but one from 2013 is $1.00?

its price gouging. over the years devs have seen that people will pay anything, so they have raised the costs beyond what they should be priced.

Message 28 of 152 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

Jul 2, 2013

julie_love wrote:

I don't think gouging is the right word. I read somewhere that a gamer in China paid $250,000 for a virtual sword.

What is the value of a virtual item? I think it comes down to what a person is willing to pay. Developers creating virtual Home items don't have many of the expenses associated with creating items in the real world. There is no cost for materials, warehouses or transportation to name a few.

There are costs associated with creating virtual items like license fees for development, salaries for developers, office and computer equipment.

The 'right' price for a virtual item is whatever people are willing to pay. That being said I don't buy items I consider to be overpriced.

Actually in my onion it is gouging when you sell something to one person and jack the price up 2 fold to sell to another...

I get that Julie thats why in my OP i said "BTW I realize everyone is in it for the money and how businesses work.... :smileywink:"

I'm not gonna get into my personally business career and I understand what 3rd party devs have to do to get on Home..

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 29 of 152 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Jul 2, 2013

I got my numbers wrong lol. Here's the article about a guy that paid $16,000 for a virtual sword BEFORE the game was released. Is it worth $16,000? Not to me, but apparently it was to him.

http://gizmodo.com/5871578/this-guy-spent-16000-in-a-virtual-sword-before-the-game-is-releasedjddhhsh

Message 30 of 152 (310 Views)