Treasure Hunter
3093 posts

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Aug 3, 2013

lwolfcub wrote:
at some yes i thing the over price stuff they need more free stuff not just from the games there are people out there you can not afford to buy stuff out there

"there are people out there [who] can not afford to buy stuff..."

And yet they own a gaming system, which implies they buy games and they have the internet which is hardly free. No, I think people need to quit asking for free things and put up some money. They need to pay for their enjoyment in Home, just like they do in the real world.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 141 of 152 (277 Views)
Last Guardian
9318 posts

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging?

[ Edited ]
Aug 3, 2013

stick_em_up_cat_burglar.jpguntitled.png

I get a kick about folks who complain about prices. When was the last time you wrote the booze man and told him the bottle of Jack your and your girlfriend just had on a fri night was to expensive. Nope you just plop the cash down and blow. Or when you bought a pack of smokes..Did you refuse them becasue they were 10 bucks a pack ?. My answer to you is dont buy the crap. Its easy. Buy a book sit in your room and read. Things are not going to change. Get my point. You buy lottery tickets. ? ..Are you this cat in the pic above . Are you a victim of greed..lol. I say vote with your wallet if you think your being taken..Or dont pay and ya dont get..Its an easy choice. Hope this helps ya..

Message 142 of 152 (281 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4576 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Over the years of research (I mean just asking Sony for statistics) Devs now they can just put a price on anything and there will always be that one person or group of people that will buy those over priced items. They keep going up with their prices because people just keep buying and spending.

Message 143 of 152 (254 Views)
Fender Bender
3466 posts

Aug 3, 2013

VioletWinds wrote:

lwolfcub wrote:
at some yes i thing the over price stuff they need more free stuff not just from the games there are people out there you can not afford to buy stuff out there

"there are people out there [who] can not afford to buy stuff..."

And yet they own a gaming system, which implies they buy games and they have the internet which is hardly free. No, I think people need to quit asking for free things and put up some money. They need to pay for their enjoyment in Home, just like they do in the real world.

I am very Glad that the Base of HOME is Free to access, that has kept it alive so to speak. Yes Entertainment that has over head like Paying Programmers and Designers and Developers, should be supported. I agree they deserve a Paycheck just like everyone else who works. Yet the manner in which its been implemented is unfair to the customer's, As well as the Devs. (I am still a Strong Believer that Advertisement should have been the Over head cover of Playstation HOME... Mini games and digital Swag were supposed to be secondary income for the program, not primary.) 

Sweet2525 wrote:

I get a kick about folks who complain about prices. When was the last time you wrote the booze man and told him the bottle of Jack your and your girlfriend just had on a fri night was to expensive. Nope you just plop the cash down and blow. Or when you bought a pack of smokes..Did you refuse them becasue they were 10 bucks a pack ?. My answer to you is dont buy the crap. Its easy. Buy a book sit in your room and read. Things are not going to change. Get my point. You buy lottery tickets. ? ..Are you this cat in the pic above . Are you a victim of greed..lol. I say vote with your wallet if you think your being taken..Or dont pay and ya dont get..Its an easy choice. Hope this helps ya..

What the heck are you ranting about? I do not think prostitution and alcoholism are good or healthy forms of entertainment. This is not the kind of conversation that can be compared in this way... Its off kilter to talk about games like alcoholism, True some take it to an addiction status yet unless you have Epilepsy I do not think Gaming will kill you. Same with Smokes, I actually do Refuse 10 dollar packs of Cigarettes. I roll my own smokes and save more then 50 percent in doing so, yet then again I really don't smoke that much... 

If you are a gamer... You know good and well a book is not the same as a game... And buy the way my Local library has plenty of Books and Games I can borrow, they even order stuff for us the community if they do not have it in stock. 

I have never bought myself a Scratch ticket or lottery ticket... I do not wish to throw my money away... 

As for a victim of Greed... A little yes, yet not as much as some... I do not buy things I do not think are worth the money... Then again not everything is as it appears or is advertised as when you buy it. I have bought broken items in HOME and items that were not what I thought they were, and they are still not fixed, missing or misleading when being bought now in PS HOME...

I do think that people should be more prudent when buying HOME stock stuffs... 

I do not think that this Problem is all on SONY and the Devs side... It is community geared... We create the trends in the program... They follow where the money is best made... Some Devs might want to be Making Gold suits and Fancy curtains or something like that, Yet I bet there are many out there who wish they working on the next sweetest game to hit the shelf, yet can not because its not how their company can make the best profits in the program. 

bookepride wrote:

Over the years of research (I mean just asking Sony for statistics) Devs now they can just put a price on anything and there will always be that one person or group of people that will buy those over priced items. They keep going up with their prices because people just keep buying and spending.

I'm not Sure they are putting a price on anything in that manner all the time... yet I do think Highly that at some points in HOME history they experimented with numbers. 

Now I think they Average out they average number of sales they think they will get over the cost production of the product in hopes to break even or make a little. Making every HOME item a gamble. Dev's never know if it will sell well or not. Its probably Hit or miss... And the Devs have heavy over head from what it sounds like.

Yet yes Prices go up because people do pay them, and Devs hope they can sell enough at high prices to cover cost, yet lots of smaller price sales would probably make them better profits if they could attract the masses... Or So the theory goes... 

Also getting back more to game advertising even if the in HOME devs subcontracted to Huge 3rd party Game corporations and such more often and targeted money from the funds that are already being used for meaningless advertisements in all the wrong places. (like the whole Vita advertising in the Vita hill club with 3 dollar food bars and 4 dollar drinks and Leather couches... Oh yea and the cost of Hiring Playboy models to go hang out for advertising reason... Really? All that money wasted and you couldn't drop 10 grand to advertise it better in PS HOME?) Or One of those 3rd party Company's that has a few grand to drop in Stickers and Keychains... Why not see if they want to advertise in a place where gamers are already congregating? 

Yes I still think that Dev's are price gouging (and also being taxed pretty heavy from the ones they answer to) ... I also think that there is a viable solution that could keep everyone involved Happy and satisfied with the outcome in every way possible. 

Photobucket
Message 144 of 152 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Aug 3, 2013
Hey Patchex, gaming has been involved in a number of deaths. Although not the direct cause, definitely the indirect cause (see reports of deaths in Asian Internet cafés, game-related homicides etc.).

As for your other point, I agree that we can't really compare addictions involving substances or physical interaction with addictions of a virtual nature.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 145 of 152 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
416 posts

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

[ Edited ]
Aug 3, 2013

A lot of people seem to think that these items can be made in a few minutes by a minimum-wage retail jockey.  A single developer (ONE person) can EASILY cost $5,000 USD a month.  I have no doubt that an item involving 3D models, textures, sculpting, rigging, animations and scripting, could require the skills of several different people.

Message 146 of 152 (214 Views)
Fender Bender
3466 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:
Hey Patchex, gaming has been involved in a number of deaths. Although not the direct cause, definitely the indirect cause (see reports of deaths in Asian Internet cafés, game-related homicides etc.).

As for your other point, I agree that we can't really compare addictions involving substances or physical interaction with addictions of a virtual nature.

I did not know that... I am now looking up on Google, Thanks for the info.. My mistake... I can see numerous reports... My bad... 

Smoochy-Rhino wrote:

A lot of people seem to think that these items can be made in a few minutes by a minimum-wage retail jockey.  A single developer (ONE person) can EASILY cost $5,000 USD a month.  I have no doubt that an item involving 3D models, textures, sculpting, rigging, animations and scripting, could require the skills of several different people.

I am not saying this could be done by a retail jockey (Yet I do know some sales associates who can code like there is no tomorrow lol)

I do not think one person in a group should cost 5 grand a month, that's too much. 3000 a month is fair for a single person for a micro transaction company, even for a Dev or similar. Yet I guess some might want 5 grand a month, My area is expensive enough to need an income like that with a full 5 person family to support. ( If thats the case 2 of them should be making 3 grand a month to cover a 3 grand morgage or what not and costs.)  Yet Game devolopment in general is on the greedy side at the moment not just HOME. 

I am also not saying it only takes one person either. Yet the Scripting and such with PS HOME is progressive... its built on building code. (So I would think, I am not for sure, I was never tought the scripting or code for PS HOME.) So in other words... someone comes up with a locomotion and that code then become part of the retail package for the Devs. (possibly) So the coders are using others codes and building new ones based on previous ones... or so the theory goes, yet that code from before was supposedly to be paid for Months or Years ago when that original coder got paid for that item or time he spend developing code. Now Im not saying this is how HOME works yet it would be a good set up if it was...

As for individual companys... yes they might have a team of 2-15 people or something like that yet not 5000 dollars worth of time should go into making one item unless its going to sell x amount in x amount of time to cover that 5 grand plus some. Now if they can come up with an item that will sell 10,000 copys at 1 dollar a piece, now you have pretty much double the labor cost production for that one item. I know then you have to take out the hours paid to staff plus the server fees and the production cost and Sony or what not, yet still a quarter should be profit. if its not working like that then the item really is not worth making unless its a paid promo for adv ertizemnt write offs... (which can also be part of production cost stuffs.) Company's like to make more like 40% to 50% profits though and not 25%. even still a formula similar to this one is possible with an application like HOME even with a 50% profit margin... Keeping the Cost down for micro transactions is important though... its the backbone of programs like HOME... otherwise all the people who want to be there are not wanting to be there anymore to spend that money needed for the Profit margin numbers. 0 times anything is always 0.

50,000 a Year is a decent wage... 100,000 a year, is a bit on the greedy side... just saying... 

And just an add to my remarks earlier too, The cost of Items is also Higher when members of the community hold the work of the devs in low regard. By this I mean the Hackers that steal items that the Devs work hard to make and this impacts not just the Dev's yet the whole community as well... 

This Subject is not Simple, its Very complex... And should be take seriously even if we are here to talk about our entertainment time... (our gaming time) 

Photobucket
Message 147 of 152 (213 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13192 posts

Jan 4, 2014
Message 148 of 152 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2760 posts

Jan 4, 2014
I have tried to estimate the number of active NA Home users a couple of times a year for the last 3 years. Serveral different approaches have led me to similar numbers.My estimate was 9,000 to 12,000. If my numbers are close to reality, then no one is really getting rich off Home.
Posted Image

Message 149 of 152 (147 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1507 posts

Jan 4, 2014

NO...

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Message 150 of 152 (130 Views)
0 Likes