Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging?

Jul 10, 2013

You actually got a lot of that right D. Pretty close on others.

''However, the problem with these prices is that they are likely driving more customers away, and thus will lead to higher prices which lead to fewer customers... Until, well I'm sure you see where that leads to.  It simply isn't a sustainable business model.  The only reasonable solution is for Home to increase it's active user base of paying customers.  To do that all of the devs need to put pressure on Sony to turn things around and start giving Home the support it so obviously needs.''

The real problem is everyone(I say that loosely) wants free items. The other without getting to deep is communication between Sony and third party developers who now are the back bone of Home. They know what they need from Sony and they need things done on a much faster and easier scale. The paper work and delayes are on Sony's end.

Pretty late in the game to ask for clarity? Sony is believed to of always wanted to let other parties drive. They are. still a business though right across the board.  this has been a very interesting thread. Peace.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 121 of 152 (376 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
193 posts

Jul 10, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:
However, the problem with these prices is that they are likely driving more customers away, and thus will lead to higher prices which lead to fewer customers... Until, well I'm sure you see where that leads to.  It simply isn't a sustainable business model.  The only reasonable solution is for Home to increase it's active user base of paying customers.  To do that all of the devs need to put pressure on Sony to turn things around and start giving Home the support it so obviously needs.

A very well thought out response thanks. I see your point about the canvas chairs but the reality is we have tailgate chairs, elegant chairs, sofas, etc.... All our regular items do not sell well enough to justify their paperwork let alone their creation. Which is why we focus on function now.

My belief is that if Lockwood, nDreams, Veemee, or Granzella came out with the same items we did, they would do much better. Many people in Home still have never heard of Game Mechanics. This even though I have designed and helped create some of the most high profile items in Home. So in that I see hope. Otherwise why would those developers keep producing items in such large quantities? You can't make up for losing money by increasing volume.

Luckily for the Home gamers, we do not do this for a living. We could actually make more working at McDonalds.

Message 122 of 152 (356 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4522 posts

Jul 10, 2013

Thanks and I for one really hope you stick around.  I own many of your items, and likely own some that I didn't even know you made, like the Cutthroats Hideaway apt, and would be very disapointed to see you part ways with Home.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 123 of 152 (346 Views)
Fender Bender
3473 posts

Jul 10, 2013

I have to say as of late it has been getting a little better, yet its still very relivant to be talking about this with alot of the pricing we see in PS HOME... 

I feel the Gouging is unessisary and also costing the company's and the Dev's more money then they think... if there were more micro transactions that were actually micro I think there woudl be a higher profit margin and happier Customers... it would also help if we saw less randome clothing and more game related stuffs... Granted I like being able to actually make a charactor that looks like me, yet at the same time I am more interested in Gaming with my PS3 rather then buying fashion items... 

Photobucket
Message 124 of 152 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3519 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Never mattered to me about price. Price equals usually the amount of fun I think I will have with purchase and that calls for an investment of time to be put into it to enjoy it. You would hope more expensive items would have MOAR bells and whistles but the more expensive stuff had gold on it. TGI is here forever..Oh wait...Here's a Hub. Home hit a wall after the Hub. Period. That is not the killer tho...Home should be much farther along than what it is and I think connection issues were and are the biggest problem with the service. I am NO doomsday speaker..Home lives in my heart...Almost bitter sweet. 

I would rather spend 100 dollars on a game. Like the Last of Us.  Not my fault Sony cannot get a Last of Us Apt where 4 players can meet in their own pregame lobby, chill, deck out in your Last Of Us gear..fix your drink, light your smoke and launch into the game with your Home friends....Oh well...It sounded good..Real good. They just never connected the dots from Game-to-Home/

My fav Item that is mOaR fun is the Huge Robot made by Atom Republic Platinumn Exomech.4 dollars..I love it.

Man Tongue

Message 125 of 152 (316 Views)
Fender Bender
3473 posts

Jul 18, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:
However, the problem with these prices is that they are likely driving more customers away, and thus will lead to higher prices which lead to fewer customers... Until, well I'm sure you see where that leads to.  It simply isn't a sustainable business model.  The only reasonable solution is for Home to increase it's active user base of paying customers.  To do that all of the devs need to put pressure on Sony to turn things around and start giving Home the support it so obviously needs.

A very well thought out response thanks. I see your point about the canvas chairs but the reality is we have tailgate chairs, elegant chairs, sofas, etc.... All our regular items do not sell well enough to justify their paperwork let alone their creation. Which is why we focus on function now.

My belief is that if Lockwood, nDreams, Veemee, or Granzella came out with the same items we did, they would do much better. Many people in Home still have never heard of Game Mechanics. This even though I have designed and helped create some of the most high profile items in Home. So in that I see hope. Otherwise why would those developers keep producing items in such large quantities? You can't make up for losing money by increasing volume.

Luckily for the Home gamers, we do not do this for a living. We could actually make more working at McDonald's.

So for most Devs your Saying its for the Love of Programming that you stay Devs in HOME?

I can see that, yet Still there is a Decent Debate to have about what has gone on...

No one replied to my message in this thread and I have been having this conversation since 2007.

MR.. or Miss Dev that lives in your MOMs house (that's a joke by the way, in no way am I downing you for still living in your moms house... If you are, I wish I had been able to live in a parents house most of my life... Its good to have family that cares enough about you to provide you with housing!) Some Devs might actually make more money working at McDonald's, I know I did for the 3 weeks I worked at McDonald's ( I left because the work conditions and sanitation along with  non English speaking co workers was too much for me to handle. I don't like Not understanding my co workers - No Google translate in work environments, and I don't like Dirty food prep area's, So hint, take a look around next time you go out to eat at a Micky D's... I haven't eaten at one in Years...) 

I came across a Beta Testing opportunity back in 07 that somehow turned into Alpha testing... It turned out to be the program we are all talking about called Playstation HOME...

I was here when the talks about how to charge people for the program was going on... And the 20 bucks a month they were talking about might have been more affordable to support the Devs then what we are seeing now, Yet I can tell you if that had been the opening price HOME probably would not have grown the way it did... 

Then again most of the talks we had about Micro Transactions Have been Thrown out the window too...

For the past few months until Glasswalls Left I posted about my problem with over pricing and Price gouging in the HOME monthly Suggestion Thread, Take a look back you'll see it each month... 

In 07 I was told that I would be taught how to Code for this program and given a way to share it with the world, yet never was told I would get paid for my work... Yet Others would be charged for all the hard work I did... 

I did make ONE Shirt For HOME, I then got the item in 09 only to lose it due to glichy programming... The Alpha Zone Shirt with the pillars, I had a hand in making... And I am glad they never charged for the Shirt cause I would be even more **bleep** then I have been for the past 5 years...

I am not saying all devs are bad, yet I have seen my share of Price gouging on both 3rd Party Devs and Sony Devs products, I remember the Conversation when the Money suits were made back in 07 (two years before they came out) and found to be broken... and even though they were broken the Devs said they would put it out as is, and also charge 15 bucks for them... Along with that and a whole bunch of other crap that was happening behind the scenes for the Program, I left and NEVER planned to return to help them... In a group where I was just about the only one who did not agree that what was going on was OK in public eyes, I felt like I did not belong, and that's a shame because I would have made one Hell of a Dev and Game designer. Yet no use crying over spilt milk now... 

I firmly believe that some Devs Price gouge and don't care about the impact it has on the community. That will be the death of HOME, or so I feel anyway... 

After careful deduction and lots of emails and unanswered inbox messages, I have come to the conclusion that I worked with Ndreams before they were Ndreams in PS HOME... I worked with them for about 8 months or more, and have nothing to show for it except a broken heart and years of therapy. (well I guess I have made some pretty awesome sauce friends - yet none of them are from Ndreams unless you count poor Stapler.) 

For a long time I thought I was crazy, that I imagined all of it, yet I recently found an old hdd that I recovered info from that made me realize - along with those pretty awesome friends, that I am not crazy, and My Businesses Ethic's are worth much more then the Program known as PS HOME's ethics are. One Day I might actually be able to make a Game like the one I started helping them with that will be better for both the Gamers and Devs content wise and price wise. Until then I post stuff like this in hopes that others can think for them selves and learn from my mistakes in stead of having to make the same mistakes themselves. 

They Got 8 free months of Testing and Work out of me, and Honestly I never wanted anything monetary in return. I had the Time to work on this while I was raising my first Child and on bed rest with Twins, yet to be shafted and treated the way I was, was not only a disappointment yet it was like Sony and Ndream stood there and Spit in my face along with the folks who decided to stay. 

While I was working on this stuff when the company or Project so to speak got sold... Now I know Sony bought it... yet the person who owned it waited till after to tell us and left us all twiddling our thumbs and dizzy... or at least me... Granted out of all the company's that could have bought it, I am glad it was SONY, Im not a huge Nintendo Fan now a days, and I have not liked Microsoft since before they became part of the console wars... Yet Still, corporate Take overs change everything... 

On the other side I think the Developers were out of money and could not pay the First rate Devs (not Alpha and Beta Testers, We were never actually promised payment until Sony took over and then we were bribed with Fake money lol) They had to Sell out or Fade out... 

Yet Selling out is no way to live... Its hollow and sell outs often become Fascist. 

That's why I never sold out... 

Anyway, back to the original subject... Yes HOME devs Price gouge. I believe this also happens because Sony Taxes the crap out of them, the whole thing is sickening... and unnecessary...

I have been saying it for years... Lower the prices, bring up the quality... and the Selling Quantity will increase for Profits... were talking about copying Digital coding, Not manufacturing an actual physical product here... WAKE UP SONY and 3rd Party Devs, your loosing your fan base, whether it be a few thousand or a million, makes no difference, if no one wants to come back and spend their hard earned McDonald's earned Cash or mom and dads allowance. 

People Like me poured Blood and tears into the program, and still do... Don't let it be a waste of time and energy...

Gaming is my life after my Children, Children always come first... Then my love for gaming, I would like to keep it that way, HOME included, yet if it gets much father then it is from game based or it gets to much more expensive (and yes I know its for the most part free yet you all know exactly what im saying) I will leave again, and this time it probably will not be just me that leaves... I was one out of Ten or so then, yet One in Ten now is a much bigger loss fraction then it was in 07... 

Here is a thread I wrote back in 2010 that kinda got lost in the shuffle, yet if you get a chance it has some really good points in it, take a look... 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/To-BEta-or-not-to-BEta/m-p/16225303#M371693

Photobucket
Message 126 of 152 (266 Views)
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3473 posts

Re: July 2013 Suggestion Thread

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2013

Mna_Grok wrote:
Hey Patchex. This thread is for suggestions only. Should you wish to discuss a particular suggestion, the PlayStation home devs have asked that it be done in a separate thread, either one you create yourself or, if applicable, a pre-existing thread.

There are a few threads that pertain to this Suggestion...

I am making a Suggestion that you please ask the Devs to Stop the Price Gouging. I have heard by word of Mouth that Sony is taxing the Crap out of the Devs and in turn Taxing us as well... Please if you can, talk them out of this way of doing HOME business. 

I Don't think ten bucks is a microtransactions. I would say a micro transaction is more like 99 cents and under...  I know you all have to make a living... Yet If you market and set better pricing, I really think you will sell more. So with more volume in buying you will make up the difference of the high cost, plus keep us happier and more willing to buy more next time. Plus I think you would make more in the long run with more people buying more of the items. 

I know I'm sounding like a Broken Record, yet I honestly think the price gouging is wrong. I also realize its a Social network and a way to make money, yet there is a better way then making things over priced for the items worth. Maybe Sony and the Devs want to share some of the Numbers with us so we can see How much is being made? So that way we can tell if your making back the money put in plus some, or if Its not enough to sustain the Devs, or worse it just plain Gluttony. I am a very reasonable person when treated Reasonably. Numbers I work with... And if I could see what we are facing, I could either Continue to ask nicely that you all lower the high Prices, realize your Not making enough, or know they are just being Greedy. 

Just look, all these people are here giving you the ideas, all you have to do is make them and sell them, (yes yes I know there are tons of middle men) yet in mass quantity, with no shipping and handling... Just digital copy's and mass amounts of buyers... Making them game related would help a lot too... 

Edit: post moved from July suggestion thread

U--J

Photobucket
Message 127 of 152 (248 Views)
Wastelander
679 posts

Re: Do You Think HOME Devs Are Price Gouging

Jul 23, 2013

Honestly I think with the economy being as it is and people are spending less it could be effecting item cost on home which the DEVs could be trying to make what revenue they can and having a higher cost of items that my assumptions.

Message 128 of 152 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
658 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Ahem;

YES

Goodbye PSN home, You made the PS3 different, In a good way.

Message 129 of 152 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Jul 23, 2013

One of the things I have noticed and very common on PSH is the simple fact that they don't fix bugs, glitched, and stuff that doesn't work.

I am sick and tired of spending money on things and it becomes broken. I buy stuff because I choose to. Price don't matter to me, however with that said, Sony PSH should be responsible for these sort of things, of stuff being broken, and if they can't fix it, they should make good on there end, and refund us or give us the working/patched item.

Can't hide behind beta forever, it don't work anymore, can't use it as an excuse not to fix anything and drain our wallets.

I business // company is only as good as the business // company cares about there product. Smiley Happy

Message 130 of 152 (210 Views)
0 Likes