Sackboy
447 posts

Re: Disappointed With Diamond Beach Mansion

Jul 26, 2013
@GameMechanic, thanks for answering the questions Smiley Happy It helped to clarify many of the questions/issues that I had.
Message 61 of 88 (743 Views)
Wastelander
582 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

There is nothing at the Mansion that is "cutting edge".

Eh, most of your criticism of this mixed bag space is fair but this really isn't. We simply have not had a regular modern home space before with this many interactive features in one space. Being able to walk 360 degrees around a house from the outside, then walk inside and CLOSE THE DOOR really is a first to Home, which is kind of hilarious actually.

I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide if that revolutionary feature together with the "free' $10 bundle (I want that samurai statue in it) outweighs the $15 price tag and all the other problems with this space. So it's really true you can't put small furniture on the kitchen counter or stove top? What, are there invisible walls around the area?

P.S. Devs if you're reading this, add an option to get rid of that stupid cartoon lion and free up 3 more furniture slots. Along with the derpy smile it's got bracelet chains on its feet like its the Rancor from Star Wars or something.

Message 62 of 88 (708 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Jul 27, 2013

Burmecian_Rat wrote:

P.S. Devs if you're reading this, add an option to get rid of that stupid cartoon lion and free up 3 more furniture slots. Along with the derpy smile it's got bracelet chains on its feet like its the Rancor from Star Wars or something.

I wish there was an on/off feature for the Lion as well. It's really not my thang! 

Message 63 of 88 (692 Views)
Fender Bender
2925 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

I don't understand why anyone is buying this space. I'm not telling anyone what to do, I just don't understand. I don't find this space attractive or entertaining (personal opinion) or innovative (We've seen better features at other places for less) and the free package of weird, non-matching items is a joke.

The main issue that I see is that this space looks like a rough draft, not a finished product. Then when you factor in all these other issues that people have brought up in this thread (and likely even more to follow) I'm astounded that anyone buys it.  And don't get me started on more "exclusive" spaces for people that buy over-priced items or estates.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 64 of 88 (662 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Jul 27, 2013

You're astounded?  I'm curfuffled.   Smiley Frustrated

Message 65 of 88 (653 Views)
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Jul 28, 2013

i can't set my mansion as my primary personal space  i also noticed i have 2 mansions in my purchase list  and when i enter the store my mansion doesn't show a price it shows error not purchased so im assuming the whole mansion is bugged :/

death note gif photo: Misa tumblr_loagoztWc91qclosuo1_500.gif
Message 66 of 88 (613 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
169 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Hmmm, this hasn't worked for me Smiley Sad

Message 67 of 88 (576 Views)
Sackboy
169 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Wow!!! Stephanie not everyone glitch... I understand fully what this person is talking about. I have beautiful active items, that would go really well in this mansion, but I can't use them because they were assigned 22 slots. I have one there now, but now I'm hearing that we will only have 100 slots for this entire Mansion (including areas not available yet), I will have to remove that active item now when I buy the remaining areas; that sucks!!! So yes Sony and all other Devs need to redo all active items reducing them to at least half.  I don't know why personal spaces are getting larger, but yet no slot increase. We need at least 200 furniture slots to compliment the larger places, otherwise many rooms are left to look like an abandon warehouse. 

Message 68 of 88 (565 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4495 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 29, 2013

Burmecian_Rat wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

There is nothing at the Mansion that is "cutting edge".

Eh, most of your criticism of this mixed bag space is fair but this really isn't. We simply have not had a regular modern home space before with this many interactive features in one space. Being able to walk 360 degrees around a house from the outside, then walk inside and CLOSE THE DOOR really is a first to Home, which is kind of hilarious actually.

Couple things to keep in mind though, none of what you describe is cutting edge, it's simply a design choice. In fact, these are design choices and interactive features that have already been included in many spaces prior to this Diamond Mansion.

As an example, Juggernaught's Bramblenook Farm not only lets you walk around the house from the outside, and the doors to the house open and close as you go through them... But unlike the Diamond Mansion, everyone in the space sees these activities.

Trust me, I like many of the interactive features in the Diamond Mansion, and wish more spaces had them, but none of them are cutting edge, and the fact that only the user can see them when used in the mansion just shows how poorly they were designed for that space, when previously released spaces have the same or similar interactive features that everyone can see and or hear.

The one thing that the Diamond Mansion has that you might say is cutting edge is the 'loading' feature that appears to free up memory for a space by not loading all the baked in items and interactive features in a space. How it appears to work in this space is that there are specific trigger points (you'll see a large diamond appear on the screen), that when triggered load the built-in items and interactive features for only that specific area/part of a space.

As such there is a Loading Diamond for the 1st floor part, the 2nd floor part, the pool, and the yacht (well not the actual yacht, but it loads the image of the yacht out on the water, and loads the 2nd dock with the 2nd boat taxi which acts as a navigation to the Yacht:

20130728 020525.jpg

20130728 020431.jpg

This is the same as the boat taxi from the 1st floor part which also only appears after it is loaded for the 1st floor part and then acts as a navigation to the Marina & Yacht Club public space:

20130726 144637.jpg

20130726 144741.jpg

BTW: Even these navigation "taxis" are not cutting edge, as spaces like the Winter Vacation Villa and Tycoon Penthouse included special navigation to any of your different mansion spaces.

PlayStation®Home Picture 12-2-2011 1-44-50.jpg

20110915 170806 371.jpg

Anyway, so each time you load a new diamond for a different part of the Mansion space, it removes the built-in items and interactive features from the part of the space you previously loaded, and loads the built-in items and interactive features for the part of the space you are about to move to.

While this is a very clever way of working around the memory limits of a space... Unfortunately they did not take advantage of this to add more built-in furnishings (in fact the Open House for the 1st floor part is terribly misleading as none of the 20 or so built-in furnishings from the Open House are in the space you buy).

In fact, the 1st floor part is almost entirely empty, and the only built-in seating are the two benches by the fountain located on the walkway leading to the pool:

20130726 141513.jpg

Not only that, but this means fewer spawn points (which has already caused a lot of anger, and when they find out how few spawn points there are for the other parts, it's only going to get worse), and it means that all the parts of the space share the same 100 slot limit.

As has already been mentioned, the original mansion did a far better job dealing with the memory limits of personal spaces by making each part of the mansion it's own space, each with their own 100 slot limit, and allowing each part of the mansion to get the max memory for spawn points, built-ins, and interactive features. Thus there is no need for this loading and unloading feature that the Diamond mansion has.  

In fact, the original mansion also included far far far more built-in furnishings to give the mansion a much more lived in look without the owner having to use up precious slots.  Instead, the Diamond Mansion looks deserted by comparison, even with all 100 slots being used to decorate it.

Yes, with the original mansion you have to move to a new space when you move to a different part (1st floor, 2nd floor, pool, & garage), and if you have guests you need to re-invite them, but considering it only takes a few seconds to do that, it's hardly a significant inconvenience, Especially for the many benefits to having them as separate spaces which you lose when they are made as parts of just one space.

So really, the one feature you might call cutting edge, and certainly never before available in a personal space that the Diamond Mansion has, the loading and unloading of items and features in parts of a space to allow for more memory allocation, while a cool concept, would not be necessary if they had made the parts separate spaces, and while it addresses one issue regarding limits to how many interactive features a space can have, it makes it worse for other issues, like spawn points, and the 100 slot allocation.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 69 of 88 (556 Views)
Sackboy
169 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 29, 2013

@king_of_games30- I'm upset with your take on early adopters (impulse). We didn't steal the place, we paid for it ($15!). So we should receive the finished product, they took my $. If they didn't think it was ready for sell , they shouldn't have allowed the sale to go through. Us early adopters, are a way to spread the word about a place (make or break). Not all personal spaces have open house.

Message 70 of 88 (545 Views)