Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1595 posts

Re: Costumes, an end to "Customizing" Avatars?

Dec 7, 2009

Totally Agree with the OP.  Full costumes is whats killing the Avatars on the XBox right now (not that they had a lot going for them in the first place) but people want custimization.  Generating these full combined costumes takes awat from that.  Giving use broken up costumes would benefit sales alot.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 29 (47 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5465 posts

Dec 7, 2009

Animus_Requiem wrote:

Dajustin13 wrote:

killla_that_dude wrote:

djepic112 wrote:
Alot of the new costumes appear to be doing that "whole costume only" thing. Gloves seem to be the exception.
Message Edited by djepic112 on 12-07-2009 01:32 AM

Gloves and hat, I mean, with the AC costume at least.  I wouldn't know about the alt SF4 costumes, seeing as I didn't purchase one alt attire yet.

I have a few of the alternate outfits, they are all fully customizable. You can mix and match just about any part of these outfits.

Easy way you can tell if any costume bundle is fully customizable, they list the parts in the description (yes even the SFIV Alternates) so at least you know what you are buying, unless you have a standard tv and is less than about 28 inches, heck I have trouble reading at standard def 32 inches unless I get closer to the TV. Regardless, thanks for the support folks, keep it coming=]

TBH, I never really even went to see if I wanted them or not, I heard they were bundles and I just wanted one piece really, so I didn't bother to read anything haha.  Thanks, you guys.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 29 (47 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1110 posts

Dec 7, 2009

Customizing is one of the things that attracts me onto home, those little add ons. Heck, Id settle for the costumes always staying equipped if our subsections could overlap with it and give us this little Tye-dye feature, I dont know. I wanted those Ezio boots mainly for my Helghast avatar, to experiment, to my dismay there are these "none customizable" costumes, and to be blunt, if you cant customize, why buy? I get why you cant adjust colors (unfortunate but I can live with that) but if I cant wear jeans with that burn zombie burn costume and look like some kind of hobo (come on, funny custom=P) it takes the fun away from having it, in which case why buy it. Itd be better if that costumes section was just a quick way to putting on our full costumes....

Lets be honest, Im sure everyone hates using the save slots for full costumes but dont have the choice because the endless amount of t-shirts that were free and obtained on home end up bogging down or load rate in wardrobe. 

Platinum Trophy Collection
Resident Evil 5 Platinum TrophyinFAMOUS Platinum TrophyResistance 2 Platinum TrophyBatman Arkham Asylume Platinum TrophyAssassin's Creed II Master AssassinDemon's Souls Toughest SoulDante's Inferno Master of The InfernoAliens vs Predator Not Bad for A HumanDarksiders BFAStar Wars The Force Unleashed 100% Complete

Love machinima and Home videos? Find us on PSTalent.com to watch and possibly star in one of our latest projects! Meet other Home enthusiasts, play a few games and join a community that thrives on creation and unique perspectives.

- Animus_Requiem, Writing Director at PSTalent.com
Message 13 of 29 (47 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1224 posts

Dec 7, 2009
Someone should make a list of everything that is a costume.
Message 14 of 29 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
771 posts

Dec 7, 2009
While I agree that most costumes should be separate parts, I think the costume function may have a future function we can't see right now.

Here's an example. Bioshock 2 comes out and they sell a Big Daddy costume. You can now run around as a Big Daddy. But, how exactly do you split a Big Daddy? What is it's head? What portion is it's feet? And once you DO split it up, how do you mix a Big Daddy body with Chicken Legs without graphical problems?

Keeping the entire unit as a whole would avoid those issues.
Message 15 of 29 (47 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Dec 7, 2009

Peffse wrote:
While I agree that most costumes should be separate parts, I think the costume function may have a future function we can't see right now.

Here's an example. Bioshock 2 comes out and they sell a Big Daddy costume. You can now run around as a Big Daddy. But, how exactly do you split a Big Daddy? What is it's head? What portion is it's feet? And once you DO split it up, how do you mix a Big Daddy body with Chicken Legs without graphical problems?

I didn't know what a Big Daddy Costume looked like...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 16 of 29 (47 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Dec 7, 2009

i was disappointed that the Ezio outfit didnt come in seperate parts.

i was really looking forward to using the boots for other things.

but it kinda makes sense about some outfits being one piece.

theres a lot of parts to the Ezio outfit. making the top or pants seperate would cause gaps and overhangs in the clothing. ive got a few tops and bottoms that are big and look completely weird when used seperately from eachother.

Message 17 of 29 (47 Views)
Wastelander
658 posts

Dec 7, 2009

Peffse wrote:

nicely said, there are just some costumes that would make no sense as seperate items as long as they make an equal amount of seprrate clothes and full costumes, im fine.
Goodbye PSN home, You made the PS3 different, In a good way.

Message 18 of 29 (47 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1110 posts

Dec 7, 2009
Well when Big Daddy comes, you can attack me for that, till then nuh-uh. Burn Zombie Burn costume, we all know where it began and ended. Ezio, ok, there is some argument, but if it worked anything like the Helghast Soldier Costume is the legs would go all the way down as white, would end before the belt, boots being the legs, belt up being the torso (some what like Seth's from SFIV) but to be honest, I need to refresh my memory on the costume before I can argue Ezio's costume more thoroughly, though for the lower legs, I wouldve though it worked similar to the Helghast Soldier (For those that have it, you know what I am talking about).
Platinum Trophy Collection
Resident Evil 5 Platinum TrophyinFAMOUS Platinum TrophyResistance 2 Platinum TrophyBatman Arkham Asylume Platinum TrophyAssassin's Creed II Master AssassinDemon's Souls Toughest SoulDante's Inferno Master of The InfernoAliens vs Predator Not Bad for A HumanDarksiders BFAStar Wars The Force Unleashed 100% Complete

Love machinima and Home videos? Find us on PSTalent.com to watch and possibly star in one of our latest projects! Meet other Home enthusiasts, play a few games and join a community that thrives on creation and unique perspectives.

- Animus_Requiem, Writing Director at PSTalent.com
Message 19 of 29 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
584 posts

Dec 8, 2009

Speaking as someone who used to create 3D clothing for The Sims 2, there's no excuse as to why the Ezio costume can't be split up into a top and a bottom, beyond just lazy rendering. You attach the cape and other layers to the top, in the same manner as the ladies pirate coat in Home. If you look at it, the length of the coat is much, much longer than typical tops, and yet the coat itself still overlaps over other pairs of pants just fine. They could have done something similar with all the layers of the Ezio costume, meaning the cascading layers and cape were attached to the top, and the pants fit up underneath those cascading layers.

But of course, that would take more careful planning - it's so much easier to just be lazy and make it all one piece, rather than trying to carefully overlap the layers so that they can be mix and matchable.

My fellow Fashionistas and I have been complaining about this very issue of lazy rendering for a year now - it's the exact same type of laziness that leads to so many of the meshing problems between other clothes in our wardrobes (i.e. where you can only pair certain tops with certain pants, can't mix and match as much as you'd like, because the 3D meshes were so badly designed that one specific shirt can only be worn with one specific pair of pants, otherwise they overlap badly and look awful. For instance, the red bridesmaids shirt flares out at the bottom. When it's paired with the matching bridesmaids skirt it looks fine. But if you try to wear that red top with anything else, it flares out funny and suddenly gets cut off, making it look awkward and unnatural. And that's really the least offensive of the meshing problems I've seen, but the one I could think of off the top of my head...)

But yeah, all in all, speaking from experience, it just comes down to laziness on the part of the 3D artist.\

By HeatherShow.com
Message 20 of 29 (47 Views)
0 Likes