Jul 29 2013
By: D-Nitrate Treasure Hunter 4495 posts

Contests Run By Fellow Users

[ Edited ]
26 replies 426 views Edited Jul 29, 2013

I can see why many people do not feel some of these contests by fellow users are fair, and are more about popularity than actual merit, but I have to say... Then do not participate in them, and even ignore the threads.  It really is that simple.

In no way should these contests interfere with your own personal enjoyment of Home or this forum, as they can easily be ignored.

In fact, as many already know, I rarely if ever do participate in them, and those that I do, I do strictly for fun, with no desire to win.  In fact I am much more inclined to participate in a fun subjective contest, then one that is no more challenging or interesting than a simple drawing.

UPDATE: And after reading my own post, I'm wondering why I haven't participated more in some of these contests, and I think if I have time I'll try and participate in more of them in the future.

The reality is that unless the winners are always chosen randomly (which can easily take away a lot of the fun in a contest regardless of how unfair it may be) their will always be some level of subjectivity and feelings of it not being fair. 

However it isn't a reasonable solution to suggest that these contests should not happen unless they are "fair", or that the winner must always be random.  Instead, the only reasonable solution is for each person to decide for themselves if they want to participate.  If they do then by all means go for it and have fun, and don't worry about why someone won and others lost.

Personally, even though I rarely participate in these contests, I definitely see their benefit to the community, even for those like me that don't even participate in them.  The reason for that is it clearly makes many that do participate happy, and often results in group activities in Home - which is always a good thing as it promotes more usage of a service that needs all the users it can get.

So why care if the winner is chosen based on popularity?   If friends want to give friends prizes or even money, while also doing something that gets some of the people in the community involved and active, and hopefully entertained.  Then all the better.  In fact, frankly I'd like to see more of these contests, even though I personally doubt I will participate in them, as I think they do far more good than harm.

Let's face it.  There is a lot about Home that is already causing a great deal of disappointment and even anger, and even some of the most loyal Home users are finally realizing many of the things about Home aren't as rosy as they once thought.  And Sony's terrible customer service and communication is causing a lot of dissension and has created a lot of arguments on this forum and in Home.  So the last thing we need is to attack fellow users who are just trying to make a fun contest and hopefully entertain those that wish to participate in them, regardless of who ends up 'winning'.

The real "winners" of these contests after all, are the people that participated and had fun participating.  The actual prize is just a bonus in my view.

For those that don't like these contests, just ignore them.  Problem solved.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 1 of 27 (426 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5826 posts

Re: Contests Run By Fellow Users

[ Edited ]
Jul 29, 2013

Whether there a popularity contest or not at some point folks need to stop acting mean towards one another and act civil.

I understands there are folks that have issues with one another but I think those issues should be handle through PM's to be resolved privately. I honestly don't see how taking personal shots and bickering on public forum helps the community in any way.Woman Sad

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 2 of 27 (390 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5453 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Well said, D. There's already too much negativity on here when there really doesn't have to be.

Lighten up a bit and relax, who knows, you might actually have fun.

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 3 of 27 (377 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 29, 2013

You know life can be more challenging in the real world at times and some need to put their digital ones in perspective. We take this all too seriously from time to time.

Enjoy life and enjoy Home and the forum while we have it. 

Message 4 of 27 (363 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5826 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

You know life can be more challenging in the real world at time and some need to put their digital ones in perspective. We take this all too seriously from time to time.

Enjoy life and enjoy Home and the forum while we have it. 

That's one of the main reason I started using home. It relieved some of the daily stress of my work life. Nothing like coming home from work after a really bad day. Watching some of the goofiness that happens on Home. I know it brings a smile to my face.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 5 of 27 (338 Views)
Fender Bender
1473 posts

Jul 29, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

The real "winners" of these contests after all, are the people that participated and had fun participating.  The actual prize is just a bonus in my view.

Thanks D, Smiley Happy

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 6 of 27 (322 Views)
Wastelander
558 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 29, 2013

I think contests that use the kudo system are unfair to the rest of us because obviously the more popular people on here with the large friend base to kudo their arses are the ones who will win. I think people who put on contests like that are just trying to win the most popular vote themselves. Oh well if he wants to waste his money on buying fake friends than thats his problem I guess. But he obviously was trying to cause some controversy with that contest because he said it was dedicated to all his haters. And plus one of the contest entries he specified is "sexy and I know it". and I think that he knows that some on here are going to go overboard with that one and post the most racey and inappropriate pic in hopes of swaying the vote their way.

Message 7 of 27 (302 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13184 posts

Jul 29, 2013
Message 8 of 27 (294 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Kudo's have always been a source of contention. Personally I don't think they are the best way to reward prizes either. A panel or simply having an OP make a personal decision might be a better way to do it.

Best thing to do is submit and entry and hope for the best. If you don't enter you can't win. 

Message 9 of 27 (289 Views)
Wastelander
558 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Well finally we can agree on something.

Message 10 of 27 (280 Views)
0 Likes