Aug 29 2013
By: nelsonshawn Uncharted Territory 892 posts

Contest Ideas!

[ Edited ]
22 replies 224 views Edited Aug 29, 2013
I am going to host more contests in the future. I am making this thread to hear your ideas on what home related contests you would like to see held on the forums. Smiley Happy
nelsig
Message 1 of 23 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Re: Contest Ideas!

Aug 29, 2013

We need the option to post blank posts as entries

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 2 of 23 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
892 posts

Aug 29, 2013
Huh? Lol
nelsig
Message 3 of 23 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Aug 29, 2013

More picture contest.

I think your last contest was very successful, and I'm glad there was no drama and everyone played fair.

So more picture contest, but you could change it up and have users take photos of specific things around home.

(Nothing too hard, or something someone would have to buy.) So that way, everyone has a fair chance.

Then whoever captured what you were asking for the best, would win. 

There also a contest a few months back, where we had to post pictures of each item that the user asked for.

Non home related items, so many of us enjoyed that event.

Message 4 of 23 (177 Views)
Uncharted Territory
892 posts

Aug 29, 2013
I was thinking about doing another photo contest in the near future! I really enjoyed the last one.
nelsig
Message 5 of 23 (167 Views)
Limit Breaker
13271 posts

Aug 29, 2013

nelsonshawn wrote:
I am going to host more contests in the future. I am making this thread to hear your ideas on what home related contests you would like to see held on the forums. Smiley Happy

While forum contests are fine, it's the judging methods that are questionable.

I think history has shown that using "Kudos" is totally a bad idea.

Using judges isn't much better, I think the results are chosen by person not content.

While there is a free list randomizer and number generator at random.org. No one has yet to use it.

I personally think all user contests should be in Home and not on the forum. There are plenty of games to play, and a "real" winner

will emerge based on skill, not votes.

Little Big Derby is a great example of an in world game. One could even do something in a personal space, such as Bramblenook Farm with a wood chopping contest.

A real contest should allow a person to win on their own merit, and not left in the hands of other people.

Message 6 of 23 (139 Views)
Uncharted Territory
892 posts

Aug 29, 2013
These are all great ideas! My only problem with the random generator is for photo contests. If you just random the names than you aren't being picked based on the quality or creativity. What is the incentive to get people to actually try instead of just posting random pictures?
nelsig
Message 7 of 23 (120 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Aug 29, 2013

nelsonshawn wrote:
These are all great ideas! My only problem with the random generator is for photo contests. If you just random the names than you aren't being picked based on the quality or creativity. What is the incentive to get people to actually try instead of just posting random pictures?

Keep thinking nelson.

I was going to say to keep the contests fair, so it doesn't seem like one is cheating, but im rethinking this

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 8 of 23 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1772 posts

Aug 29, 2013
Name the Home game featured
Message 9 of 23 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
13271 posts

Aug 29, 2013

nelsonshawn wrote:

I didn't say use the list randomizer for a photo contest. If you're bent on having a photo contest, then you need to find a way that allows the pictures to speak for themselves and not be judged or voted on.

You could do a photo scavenger hunt. You give like 10 clues and someone has to take a pic of "exactly" what the clue is. The first person to "correctly" post the 10 pics, is the winner., then the second person and the third person would take 2nd and 3rd.

Message 10 of 23 (109 Views)