Sep 02 2011
By: Jim777 Last Guardian 10878 posts

Complete Picture Frame Guide

252 replies 2493 views Edited Sep 2, 2011

Here is a full guide on how to use the new picture frames to their full potential.

Table of contents:

1.) Buying A Frame

2.) Placing the Frame in your space

3.) Picture Frame options

4.) Tweeking the frame

5.) Selecting an Image

6.) Tweeking the image

7.) Photo Frame limits per space - Credit to Pasufarin

8.) An example - credit to godsgift

9.) Troubleshooting

10.) Reporting offensive content

11.) Other Helpfull Threads

1.) Buying A Frame

To buy a picture frame head to the Mall (World Map > Playstation Home > Mall)

They are located at the Furniture store, and have their own area. You will find several from the basic one to some that are animated to look like film strips. Here are all the picture frames and their prices.

Harbour Studio Picture Frame:  $0.99
Picture Frame - Black Metal:  $2.99
Animated Film Style Picture Frame - Metal:  $2.99  (on sale at Loot  $1.49)
Picture Frame - White Border:  $2.99  (on sale at Loot  99¢)

(Images from Alphzone4.com)

All frames will behave the same.

Return to your personal space

Open up the item menu (Start > Personal > Redecorate Personal Space > Add furniture)

Select the picture frame under "Picture Frames"

Now you will see your frame on a pre set location in your space, depending on your space you may have more pre set options then others.

Place the frame in the space you wish

3.) Picture Frame options

Once the frame is in its place highlight it and hit X to see all the things you can do with it

• Zoom - zooms in on the image
  • Browse Pictures - allows the owner to select the image to be displayed
  • Edit Picture - allows the owner to tweek the image in the frame
  • Move - allows the owner to change the frames location and position
  • Remove - allows the owner to remove the frame from his or her space
  • About - gives you info on the frame itself

4.) Tweeking the frame

Select "Move" from the above options

Now you will see more options, Move, Rotate, Place, and Cancel

Rotate allows you to spin the frame on the wall, it will "pop" it into the vertical or horizontal positions or leave it a bit skewed if you wish.

You will know the frame is straight when you feel the controller vibrate

5.) Selecting an Image

Select "Browse Pictures" from the options in step 3

You now see two folders, My Media or Default Photo

Select My Media to see a list of  the images on your Playstation 3's HDD

Some notes about images being displayed in the My Media list:

• Only the first 500 images will display
  • They will be sorted by Date Saved to HDD
  • If you have more then 500 images you can copy them to somewhere else (USB drive), delete them, then copy them back into you HDD to make them float to the top of your image list.
  • Also note Home pictures wont have preview images, but if you do the copy delete re copy trick they will have preview options.

Scroll around and find the image you wish to frame, then hit X

6.) Tweeking the image

Once your image is in the frame you can edit it to make it fit just right, select "Edit Picture" from the options in step 3

You will see more options:

• Fill - it will line up the borders of the image to the frame, this may squish your image
  • Cropped - will retain you images normal size but may cut off sides
  • Letterbox - will create a widscreen effect but my squeeze image
  • Rotate - This allows you to flip the image between horizontal and vertical, simply press L2 or R2 to flip the image
7.) Photo Frame limits per space - Credit to Pasufarin
Here are the limits of frames per personal space:
  • Harbor Studio: 4 (3 left wall, 1 right)
  • Summer House: 2 (upstairs, outside wall)
  • Chamber Apartment: 12 (three on each wall of the two side rooms)
  • Lakeside Log Cabin: 6 (three in each room. Entry room: two on wood wall, one on stone in center. Side room: three on stone wall)
  • Living Room Stage Set from Loot™: 3
  • Ghostbusters™ Firehouse: On Location: 14
  • Visari Throne Room: 0
  • Post Apocalyptic Apartmant: 3 (1 in the entrance landing to the left two in the same area on the landing with the blast shields)
  • Batman Arkham Asylum Batcave Outpost: 2
  • Neptune Suite - 10
  • Santorni Greece - 5
  • Santorni Yacht - 2
  • Wizards Den - 6
  • Paris Clock Tower - 14
  • SVER barracks - 6
  • London Pub - 0
  • Villains Lair - 3
  • Warhawk Apartment - 3
  • Locoisland - 2
  • Planatland - 4
  • Ratchet & Clank: Home Sweet Home - 6
  • Pirate Galleon Apartment - 2
  • Waterfall Terrace - 1
  • Zombie Deadquarters - 4
  • City Penthouse - 5 (Two upstairs and 3 Downstairs)
  • Musicality Apartment - 2
  • Pharaoh's Tomb - 8

8.) An example - Credit to godsgift
  Here is a picture of me in my studio showing the frame horizontal (left) and vertical (right)
The image on the left is a default picture, the one on the right is my own picture of Ezio Auditore di Firenze from Assassins Creed 2
9.) Troubleshooting
  • A big fat  !   - If an image in your HDD is deleted while you have it set in a frame the frame will now show a big "!" next time you visit your space telling you the image is no longer on your HDD and therefore cannot be in the frame
  • The Frames natural resolution

(Former HCS) BuggieTechnica wrote:

BitRunner is correct: the natural resolution of the picture frames is 512x512. Stretching using the built-in options gets wonky, but from what I've been told, a safe bet is to purposely distort your picture in Photoshop to 512x512 and then use the built-in stretching options to correct it. I've fiddled with it myself and while it sounds goofy, it actually works fairly well.

Regardless though, the picture frames will turn down the quality of whatever you stick in it, but at by putting it in the correct resolution it takes away that darkening effect.

• Regions - credit to Hearitwow

Picture frames are region locked to North America, so visitors from other Home regions will not be able to see the images in them. Visitors from NA should be able to see your images, as long as they're not taking photos. Photos cause the content in the frames to drop out.

Here are some wise words from Bitrunner

• Try to save your photos in PNG or JPG if you can, they seem to have the best results.  I've had good luck so far with PNGs particularly (I do almost all of my CG work in PNG just so you know).
  • MS Paint is your friend for image conversion if you don't own Photoshop, and it comes with every copy of Windows XP and Vista (Start -> Accessories -> Paint).  Just open your photo up and Save As PNG, works very well.  PNG is also your best bet for quality because it's lossless compression.
  • GIF animations are almost a guaranteed no-no, though I haven't tried them because it would be pointless the frames aren't animated, so is any format that is interlaced (like PNG interlaced, if you get the option in say Photoshop to save interlaced or non-interlaced, pick non-interlaced).
  • If you're having trouble with freezing or your pictures not showing up after multiple times, you may either have too many photos on your drive, or you may have an image somewhere on your drive causing problems.  Your best bet is to backup and remove all images if this is the case, and add the ones back you want to use in your frames.  Then from there you can experiment adding your images back one by one and see which one or how many images are the culprits.  The image browser for Home enumerates and makes thumbnails for EVERY image on your drive, this could be nasty on memory, so try to keep it frugal if you can.
  • The Loot stage set space has an issue where one of the 3 frames faces the wrong way (oops Smiley Wink) so when you just see black dont worry, im sure they will hammer out this bug soon

10.) Reporting offensive content

GlassWalls wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Since Picture Frames are brand spanking new, I thought I'd share how to report them. My mind is always focused on moderation, naturally, so here's how you can make it easy for us.

If you come across a picture in a new Picture Frame that is offensive, use the normal Submit a Report feature (hit Select > Submit a Report), but it makes it much easier for us if you are facing the offensive picture when you hit Select. Notice that little pause? That's a screen shot being created. So if you're facing the picture when you hit Select, we'll more quickly be able to verify it as something that's not cool.

Thanks again,

11.) Other Helpfull Threads:
Congrats you are now Picture Frame Pro!
If you have any questions or see something I missed either PM me or reply here

@Jim777PS
Message 245 of 253 (2,493 Views)
Fender Bender
4789 posts

Re: Complete Picture Frame Guide

Jun 5, 2009

Return to your personal space

Open up the item menu (Start > Personal > Redecorate Personal Space > Add furniture)

Select the picture frame under "Picture Frames" and continue to select until you've placed all available Frames for that space. Now you can see all available pre-selected spaces for your space and redecorate to suit the new picture frames. Afterward delete those picture frames not used.

Now you will see your frame on a pre set location in your space, depending on your space you may have more pre set options then others.

Place the frame in the space you wish

Suggested edit to Step 2. - No use spending the time placing a picture frame just to later pull it cause it doesn't go with your furniture layout. 

jaymc account
Message 1 of 253 (2,493 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5009 posts

Jun 5, 2009

Great guide Jim thank you.

Here is some extra technical support in case you guys are having issues.

- Try to save your photos in PNG or JPG if you can, they seem to have the best results.  I've had good luck so far with PNGs particularly (I do almost all of my CG work in PNG just so you know).

- MS Paint is your friend for image conversion if you don't own Photoshop, and it comes with every copy of Windows XP and Vista (Start -> Accessories -> Paint).  Just open your photo up and Save As PNG, works very well.  PNG is also your best bet for quality because it's lossless compression.

- GIF animations are almost a guaranteed no-no, though I haven't tried them because it would be pointless the frames aren't animated, so is any format that is interlaced (like PNG interlaced, if you get the option in say Photoshop to save interlaced or non-interlaced, pick non-interlaced).

- If you're having trouble with freezing or your pictures not showing up after multiple times, you may either have too many photos on your drive, or you may have an image somewhere on your drive causing problems.  Your best bet is to backup and remove all images if this is the case, and add the ones back you want to use in your frames.  Then from there you can experiment adding your images back one by one and see which one or how many images are the culprits.  The image browser for Home enumerates and makes thumbnails for EVERY image on your drive, this could be nasty on memory, so try to keep it frugal if you can.

Visit my CG Art Gallery at: http://www.johnnyernest.com/projects.php
Message 2 of 253 (2,493 Views)
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Jun 5, 2009
good adbvice BIT

@Jim777PS
Message 3 of 253 (2,493 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jun 6, 2009
HomeStationMagazine
Message 4 of 253 (2,493 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1564 posts

Jun 6, 2009
Good post Jim. Could you post the exact image size for the pictures?

Conspiracy:Walkthrough.

Message 5 of 253 (2,493 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Jun 6, 2009

Codename42 wrote:
I dont really know the exact size and it would take some trial and error to figure it out lol but that HC image fits pretty well

@Jim777PS
Message 6 of 253 (2,493 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Jun 6, 2009

SpeedRacer1955 wrote:

Jim777 wrote:

Codename42 wrote:
I dont really know the exact size and it would take some trial and error to figure it out lol but that HC image fits pretty well

Hey Jim you need to edit the browser section of your guide since only photos/pics that are listed under icon will show up.  If they are located in any sub folder or in any other application like then they don't show up in the picture frames MY MEDIA browser...

SpeedRacer1955 wrote:

Jim777 wrote:

Codename42 wrote:

Hey Jim you need to edit the browser section of your guide since only photos/pics that are listed under icon will show up.  If they are located in any sub folder or in any other application like then they don't show up in the picture frames MY MEDIA browser...

Any pic on your HDD will show even under folders. But USB devices would need to be copyed

@Jim777PS
Message 7 of 253 (2,493 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Jun 6, 2009
i might buy pic frames soon.. there just sooo expensive

Home.
Message 8 of 253 (2,493 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian