Mar 02 2013
By: MapleStory I Only Post Everything 879 posts

Common misconceptions about you or your avatar on Home.

72 replies 772 views Edited Mar 2, 2013

I figured this could be a pretty good topic to bring up around here as it's something I'm sure nearly all of us have faced in our time on Home. What are some common misconceptions friends or randoms have about you guys? I can imagine some of the more popular forum-goers being seen as high and mighty or as celebrities. I know Conrad's common misconception is people thinking he's a mod (no shots, by the way). As far as myself...

I think most people think I'm super smug or that I know a ton about Home when in reality, I am absolutely clueless to nearly everything that's been added post-overhaul (when central plaza was removed for the new hub, etc). I use Home occasionally but it's always in the same few spaces and I'm usually just standing around quietly although I'm a total blabbermouth if someone has the misfortune to attempt to talk to me. LOL I can't ever tell what's unlockable rewards, purchased items, or ISE things unless a friend or someone tells me.

Also, tons of people seem to think I'm from Canada. Or think my name is related to maple syrup and/or pancakes. I'm actually from NYC and I'm named after a truly awful PC mmo. LOL I think those are some of the more common things I usually deal with although there's definitely a lot more. Just wanted to get the ball rolling with this topic!

Message 1 of 73 (772 Views)
Highlighted
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Re: Common misconceptions about you or your avatar on Home.

Mar 2, 2013

I think some think I'm not approachable. I am very easy going especially if I am not working on a project or something. I'm not stuck up or mean. I know some think of me as a "Yes" man when it comes to Home. I'm seriously not. I just don't openly say things to cause contraversy or to feed fires. I have had major discussions with the powers that be in regards to my displeasers of Home.

Funny thing about the forums. You would be surprised at how many start off not liking me mostly because of misconception but after PM'ing me and or chatting in Home I have a few new friends. Not going to preach this but I will say this. You are here because you share the same interest I have. That links us. Might disagree with others here but you share something. You would be surprised at how much more we all share if some could just put away the stereo types and silly cliche's.

Respect for others is important. We fall short on that here sometimes, Me included. Behind PC screens and avatars we have lives that others rarely know about. But in Home we have had a community.

Not to get all mushy but You guys here and friends on Home have been my friends, Family and my life for years. I call the_original_se Brother because I have known him for 10+ years. never met him but we have common interest. and I have never had a brother. Pretty awesome guy.

If there was one thing I would want you to know about  me and my time spent in Home it would be during my time on Home I have had a close relationship with Sony. A bunch of Sony. During that time I never tried to get things I wanted. It was never about me. Always about you' always about the community. the forumers, the Home users. Truth.

Sony knows it. My friends know this. Now you do.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 2 of 73 (733 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3699 posts

Mar 2, 2013

Cat Surprised Wait, you're not from Canada.. and your username is Maple? I don't believe you!! Alright, I'm teasing, lolz! I know of Maple Story.

Well, a lot of people often 'test me' thinking I'm a Computer Bot / NPC there to automatically reply to questions.. or something. As silly as it sounds, it happens. Actually, it just happened a moment ago, haha, but this was the first time since last year. When they ask, I say I'm a magical unicorn from space - which probably doesn't help much. If anyone ever meet me on Home, they'd probably think I have a pretty silly personality.

Anyway - Obviously we have those who don't know much about Home and think I may be something I'm not, but I tend to get robot more. xD

Message 3 of 73 (727 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Mar 2, 2013

Sophronia wrote:

Cat Surprised Wait, you're not from Canada.. and your username is Maple? I don't believe you!! Alright, I'm teasing, lolz! I know of Maple Story.

Well, a lot of people often 'test me' thinking I'm a Computer Bot / NPC there to automatically reply to questions.. or something. As silly as it sounds, it happens. Actually, it just happened a moment ago, haha, but this was the first time since last year. When they ask, I say I'm a magical unicorn from space - which probably doesn't help much. If anyone ever meet me on Home, they'd probably think I have a pretty silly personality.

Anyway - Obviously we have those who don't know much about Home and think I may be something I'm not, but I tend to get robot more. xD

Definately a bot.

Soph and I know each other very well. Spent so much time together because of Home. Soph has been a great friend as well. I always wanted Soph to write a book about Home. Would be a best seller as would other here if they wrote a book,  I am sure. Smiley Happy 

HomeStationMagazine
Message 4 of 73 (709 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
879 posts

Mar 2, 2013
Nope, not from Canada...unfortunately? LOL I have this misconception of Home itself that it has LOTS of Canadians but in reality, I just think my name attracts them and convinced me that there are a lot of them. They're an awesome bunch though, I like how they all seem to be overly social. It's like they never learned not to talk to strangers and will happily jump into a creepy van. LOL! I'm kidding though.

@Jersquall: That's pretty deep and you're absolutely right about stereotyping being what separates this community. I'm pretty sure that in reality, the lot of us are actually very social, intelligent, and tolerant people but something about these forums or Home itself just seems to bring the worst out of us. I was also really hopeful of this community from the start and tried to be active in a positive way...but it wasn't very long until things just sort of went off-course. I'll keep from de-railing the topic here. lol
Message 5 of 73 (693 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 2, 2013

Conrad_Max is here. He is kinda in the military yup lol. . He also gets misconceived on occasion. If you knew him a bit more like some of us do.. He is a pretty humble guy. His job and background as a moderator have stereotyped him and although he can be strait forward his words seem strict I believe it's his way of life that has some scratching their heads sometimes. He is a very respectful man. Calls me Sir. I never thought much of it because he has been a really good friend.

Does he get upset? Yes. He has words with users here i'm sure but I have never seen someone so dedicated to helping others in home. He was always walking around looking, reaching out to Home users. never complained. He just enjoyed helping. Still does. I can't count how many times he has PM'd me with support. With a wise thought. With good advice for me. The man has heart. That says a lot.

His PSN comment has been steadfast since forever and it never changes. It simply says "Can I help you?''

HomeStationMagazine
Message 6 of 73 (674 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Mar 2, 2013

Common misconceptions include:

• Forum user=stuck up. (I usually get this from randoms on Home, or people have seen my id from the forums.)
  • Female avatar=tranny. (Indeed, I am a male and I have a female avatar. However, I'm not a tranny by any means. Very much male.)
  • ISE user/hacker/freezer. (I combine them both, because I get this one quite a lot. Mainly because I have several friends that deal in ISE and have been around them crowds. Personally, I've never been the one into freezing or hacking myself. Honestly, the most I've ever did is merge head items and it wasn't for freezing purposes.)
  • I'm older than what I actually am. (Honestly speaking, I'm 22. At times, I've got people assuming I'm at least 26 or 28ish range. Though, I haven't quite reach that age yet.)

To be honest, I'm pretty much a normal user like most of you on here. I don't ask for any kind of entitlement, because I don't deserve it. I play Home to enjoy it and escape reality, as most do. I have my fun, then I log off.

Message 7 of 73 (625 Views)
VP of Gaming
29220 posts

Mar 2, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

Conrad_Max is here. 

Jersquall, I want to thank you for those kind words. It means a lot to me coming from someone who is as liked and repected as you are.

And there are misconceptions of me in Home and on the forums (by a few). But the people I have come in contact with, the people with whom I have interacted with, and helped, have a better idea of me than the few who have never known me.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 8 of 73 (620 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Mar 2, 2013

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

• Forum user=stuck up. (I usually get this from randoms on Home, or people have seen my id from the forums.)
  • Female avatar=tranny. (Indeed, I am a male and I have a female avatar. However, I'm not a tranny by any means. Very much male.)
  • ISE user/hacker/freezer. (I combine them both, because I get this one quite a lot. Mainly because I have several friends that deal in ISE and have been around them crowds. Personally, I've never been the one into freezing or hacking myself. Honestly, the most I've ever did is merge head items and it wasn't for freezing purposes.)
  • I'm older than what I actually am. (Honestly speaking, I'm 22. At times, I've got people assuming I'm at least 26 or 28ish range. Though, I haven't quite reach that age yet.)

To be honest, I'm pretty much a normal user like most of you on here. I don't ask for any kind of entitlement, because I don't deserve it. I play Home to enjoy it and escape reality, as most do. I have my fun, then I log off.

You always have the funnest sigs man.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 9 of 73 (617 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Mar 2, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

xMINDBlIlURx wrote:

You always have the funnest sigs man.

I have lots of .gifs on storage. Cat Wink

Thanks though.

There's a certain forum user who doesn't like my .gifs, but that's okay..I think I'll keep them around a bit longer.

Message 10 of 73 (601 Views)