Treasure Hunter
4664 posts

Re: Clarification of Gender Identity (Yes, this is PSH-Related!)

Feb 23, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

bookepride wrote:
Why does it bother you so much?

I didnt say it bothered me at all, lol.

I just stated the fact that someone could show such reluctance in revealing something so banal (and also trying to justify lying about it) is weird.

What about you?

I was referring to the OP. Didn't quote you the first time...

Message 21 of 129 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

Feb 23, 2013
lol, sureeee
Message 22 of 129 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
392 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

Not sure what person makin the topic really thinks or cares about what they're talking about. How i see it is as long as nobody's saying whatever to get whatever then its ok its one thing to be a dude that thinks hes a chick and is workin on becoming a chick its another thing when a dude just says hes a chick that likes other chicks to get into chicks panties even though hes always gonna be one of the dudes ya know what Im saying. Homes fulla that tbh i wouldnt let my kids on home or whatevers out when theyre old enough for that reason. As a parent ill say that people are smarter than they make out they try n make you feel sorry for them or support them when theyre all the whole time tryin to deceive you and get something out of it. idc what gender cisgender wth b-crap anyone is as long as theyre honest about it. wow b-crap is censored here sesame street went to town with the censors

Message 23 of 129 (353 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Feb 23, 2013

this topic never seems to get old.

my question to folks who have the emotional stability of a 2 yr old when a guy uses a female avatar is, 

how does me using a female avatar effect your personal life in any way? (useless you're scamming ppl out of PSN cards or something).

my cousin and i use to play Soul Edge (Soul Calibur) on PSone, Dreamcast, Xbox, etc. our favorite fighters were mostly the female fighters. we didn't question our sexual identity or put much thought into what gender our fighters were. 

we both played the hell out of the 1st two Tomb Raider games...no one ever even thought about if this somehow makes us "trannies", we just played the game. i've played MMO's using both M/FM avatars and i didn't notice it freaked guys out until i played Phantasy Star Universe. guys began turning these games into an online dating service. which is why i think this non-issue have become an issue.

when i'm doing my cartooning /comic books, and i'm drawing female characters, no one even blinks about what gender i'm drawing. Home to me is like a virtual drawing board for me to create ideas for new characters and so on. so i honestly never even thought deeply enough about if a guy uses a female avatars that something is going on with him in his personal life. because i really don't care. he has every right to create M/FM avatars. i use female avatars...just pixels to me. 

Home for some people is taken way too seriously for my taste. i don't want my freedom taken from me via some gender lock...that's insane. if people stop trying to use Home as a dating service, and just enjoy Home for what it is, maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

but this generation has attached themselves to social media so deeply, that they can't seem to fuction without it. take away your childs social media for a week and you'll probably see withdrawals equivalent to a drug user.

Home is not a dating service and the avatars aren't real...for pete's sake can we stop taking Home so **bleep** seriously.

"human contact is awesome, try it sometimes"
Message 24 of 129 (325 Views)
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Feb 23, 2013

*skims through first page*

I usually run around Home as a female avatar. While I've gotten blank friend requests before (and has my sister's account, when I hop on for "dailies"/"weeklies"), I've actually received a message that, to paraphrase, read, "Are you a real woman, and are you single?"

And all I could think, beyond any self-idenitification, is that this is the most brazen cluelessness I've ever borne witness to in Home "hookups". I'm not sure if the extra effort to clear the air makes it a touch less or that much more deplorable. It reads like, "Hey, I wanna get with some foxy lay-day, so do you have junk, yours or a BF's?" That's not what any actual, I'm-taking-the-time-to-text-you-with-a-**bleep**-gamepad relationship should be founded on, and any less can be fulfilled easier in TGPs on the 'net. Yeesh.

Not that it's necessarily bad that you're into...whatever you might be hoping would come of asking that out of the blue to a digitally-realized stranger, but grief, get a hint that no sensible person would bother.

But, then, I'm sure there ARE people on Home willing to play along. I just hope, for the sake of a slap in the face, that whoever does turns out to be exactly what those blind-message-ers aren't looking for.

As for "political correctness", I don't mind using "cisgender" (weird as that word simply looks) if we're going to have a grounded discussion about gender and sexual identities, but I kinda doubt you'll find an awful many (even me) who are learned (or open, unfortunately) enough in those matters to be worth conversing with.

Message 25 of 129 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2691 posts

Feb 23, 2013
This again, huh... funny, I had someone ask me and my friend about it while we were bowling, so its semi-relevant to the present for me.

That said, the answer I gave her? Females have better animations, and a lot of their content selections, particularly from GZ, are superior. She saw and agreed with that logic, and didn't press the issue further, unlike others I've seen bring this up XD.

As for the "But its WRONG" crowd, I'll ask the same thing I ask every time. If its wrong for a guy to have a female avvy on Home, then isn't it wrong for guys to play Tomb Raider? Metroid*? Any fighting game as a girl? Ada's story in RE6? etc, etc... and yes, the inverse holds true for anyone who thinks a girl using a male avvy is wrong.

*Yes, I know, wrong console, doesn't change the fact that the main is one of those iconic girls in gaming.

A very (very) basic LBP level... by me. http://lbp.me/v/pj9eqq
(PS: Blank Friend Requests WILL be deleted!)
Message 26 of 129 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

Reading Wave and Phantom's posts around mine, the difference between Home and the games you're citing is that those are static, established characters, whereas Home uses custom (imitation aside) characters, which lend much easier to being a digital "you".

Now, I know that's really not always the case (friend of mine considers his WoW characters as "his characters", and not him as a zombie or whatnot), but I guess it's just seen as ingenuine to any firmly set in the avatar being closely matched to your real-world being (not necessarily "self", because of, as prolly stated, indentity mismatches with the rest of one's body).

tl;dr - Customizable characters are able to vary wildly from established ones, and there are many, sometimes firmly set, interpretations for how that relates to those characters' players.

Message 27 of 129 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3880 posts

Feb 23, 2013

CathedralDream CompletelyDismissed:

It also is interesting that you have assumed I am male simply because of my assertion.  It does stand to reason that I am physically female, and identify as Genderfluid (meaning I identify with both genders to some degree, and moreover don't care for identifying as any gender whatsoever.)  

It's very sad that on top of all of this issue, women who assert themselves are impossible to find...as though it is some extinct idea that used to be theory but no more....  I'm sorry that self-identified women don't have very many role-models these days, and so the older ideas that women must be passive and timid and helpless in order to be accepted or legitimate as women seems to be making a comeback.

Thank you for your feedback.

:^/ It wasn't an assumption, it was a deduction, both from the facts that you've knowingly revealed, and the facts that you've given away without realizing it.

Your entire thesis seems to be that one's self-identy sex trumps, or should trump, any other consideration whatsoever, including one's birth anatomy and chromosome layout.You'll find that most of Home, and most of the world, dissagrees with that. If the doctor declared you to be a boy at birth, then you're male, notwithstanding any self-identiy to the contrary. When a stranger asks your real life sex, you can lie that you're a woman, admit that you're a guy, or point out that your privacy is more important than others' curiosity.

But don't expect to fool anybody, and don't expect to adjust others' perceptions of the issues until the answer that you want to give is considered to be the truth instead of a lie.

Message 28 of 129 (261 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Feb 23, 2013
Who would select a male avatar these days and miss out on the opportunity to do the Hed Kandi dance? Unless, of course, the male frosty head is more your thing.
castle3
Message 29 of 129 (252 Views)
Fender Bender
3413 posts

Feb 23, 2013

This all went through one ear and out the other for me. I got lost at the second paragraph Smiley Sad.

But I can kind of understand what your saying, not saying I totally agree with you on this. I make my avatar just like me in Home. Well mostly, I like to change hairstyles and color but physically it looks just like me. I admit I'm guilty of using a female avatar but come on, I liked the clothes that the female avatar's had so I couldn't resist!!

photo tumblr_ltj7u6nyrU1qetp61o1_500_zpse82365c3.gif
http://auroraterra.deviantart.com/
Message 30 of 129 (220 Views)
0 Likes