Oct 04 2012
By: goodSuM PlayStation MVP 1953 posts

Can we have the option for a bigger cache size?

10 replies 230 views Edited Oct 4, 2012

I'm at 12, but every once in a while, I hit that point where I have to redownload a spot I go to a lot, and then it trickles down to all my spaces until I leave one or two out.  And now with a lot of big spaces coming out (Home Tycoon, Mercia...) it's getting harder to keep all of the many spaces I go to in check.

Does anyone else have the same thing?

Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by you again?
Message 1 of 11 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Re: Can we have the option for a bigger cache size?

Oct 4, 2012

Yes I had this problem yesterday after downloading tycoon. Had to download X7 four times yesterday.

Message 2 of 11 (211 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

Oct 4, 2012

You might want to read at least the original post on this thread:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/The-Truth-About-Load-Times-Storage-and-Your-...

For the record, I used to have 12GB cache setup and while it worked for a while performance suffered to the point where I could not load spaces.  I'd have to clear the cache and it would work again until I could not load spaces again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

I since moved down to 3GB, and I had no problems with loading spaces but often got a disconnect.  Now I'm at 5GB, and I'd never had a problem with long term loading of spaces and if I get disconnected its probably related to something other than appropriate cache size.

Don't necessarily believe the hype about cache.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 11 (178 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29264 posts

Oct 4, 2012

I believe I'm using a 5GB cache and it works fine for me. I don't mind downloading less frequently used spaces when I go to them.

Message 4 of 11 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 4, 2012

A 3 GB cache size will also shrink your Cache Repair time to 2 minutes rather than the usual 8 minutes with a 12 GB cache.

---------------
It's not enough to leave this falling kindly
You burn my star down twice as brightly
It's just your half light undertow
But if you need forgiveness....
...I don't know
Message 5 of 11 (151 Views)
Fender Bender
3075 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

I believe I'm using a 5GB cache and it works fine for me. I don't mind downloading less frequently used spaces when I go to them.

That's what I've been using too Joanna, 5GB. And I haven't had any problems neither. I saw the option to increase the cache size but wasn't sure what the right size would be, so I just put it at 5GB.

bobs fed signature
Message 6 of 11 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3075 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

logicbomb_DE wrote:

A 3 GB cache size will also shrink your Cache Repair time to 2 minutes rather than the usual 8 minutes with a 12 GB cache.

Actually logicbomb when I increased my cache size  from 3GB to 5GB, I actually found the cache repair took less time than before.

bobs fed signature
Message 7 of 11 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Oct 5, 2012

I use the 12 GB cache and repair takes maybe 2 minutes.

Message 8 of 11 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2215 posts

Oct 5, 2012

I used 12 a while ago, but the initial loading time of home was significantly longer, so I went back to 3. Home loads faster and I don't visit so many spaces that downloading becomes inconvenient. I clear cache once per week anyway, so I have to re dl everything then.

Message 9 of 11 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Oct 5, 2012

For region hoppers: Playstation Home shares its cache with all accounts on the system. If you visit multiple regions then you need more space or you'll be redownloading a lot.

Message 10 of 11 (99 Views)