SIEA Developer
13 posts

Re: CUTTHROATS 2.0 IS COMING!

Sep 1, 2012

Regarding the level cap.

The team made a conscious decision to focus on the longevity of play rather then to focus on leveling. We originally added leveling as an incentive to keep players coming back and playing the game. We didn't realize players would level so quickly that it would essentially defeat the original purpose of leveling.

That was our fault as we incorrectly calculated the level progression. We've decided for at least this iteration to shift the focus to be more like a traditional shooter and focus on kills and kill streaks.

The leaderboard now represents that change in an all-time and daily manner. In the next release, we are adding more levels,incentives and acheivements but we wanted to de-empasize that in terms of the focus of stat tracking and play time this go round.

Message 31 of 47 (331 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Sep 1, 2012

mumbinator wrote:

No, levels are not being reset and the level cap has not changed in this version.

So people level 35 will automatically get all the new rewards?

If so, that's a bad idea. Otherwise many won't play and experience the new features.

Message 32 of 47 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Sep 1, 2012

mumbinator wrote:

Regarding the level cap.

The team made a conscious decision to focus on the longevity of play rather then to focus on leveling. We originally added leveling as an incentive to keep players coming back and playing the game. We didn't realize players would level so quickly that it would essentially defeat the original purpose of leveling.

That was our fault as we incorrectly calculated the level progression. We've decided for at least this iteration to shift the focus to be more like a traditional shooter and focus on kills and kill streaks.

The leaderboard now represents that change in an all-time and daily manner. In the next release, we are adding more levels,incentives and acheivements but we wanted to de-empasize that in terms of the focus of stat tracking and play time this go round.

The addition of voice chat is huge, and definitely creates longevity with the game -- as do the changes to the leaderboards. One of the drawbacks to the original game is that there's really no easy method to communicate with your shipmates, which created huge gaps of silence where everyone stood around waiting for combat. Lack of any real communication interface also made it virtually impossible to foster any sort of fun, "we're in this together" camaraderie that a game like this needs, and in fact fostered mutinies in ships full of strangers.

I know some folks may be bummed about no changes to the level cap, because it's a method to create a sense of forward progression if various tchotchke is being offered, but the addition of voice chat more than makes up for that. With voice chat, we can socialize with friends while gaming, which to date only a couple of other Home games (No Man's Land and Mercia being the two I can think of off the top of my head) presently allow. And as was pointed out, unless you artificially limit daily progression towards a level cap (as nDreams did with Aurora), it's practically useless; people were maxing out Cutthroats in less than a day, and I've seen Home users grind all the way up to Fame 25 in Mercia in less than twenty hours.

During the playtest I was involved in at VASG's offices, there was a lot of shouting, cheering, smack talking...you name it. It was a really fun, festive atmosphere -- because people were able to chat with each other while playing the game. Finally, with this content release, everyone in Home will get to experience that as well. It completely changes the purpose of the game: rather than simply being a race to grind it out to some arbitrary level number at the fastest pace, it's about going and gaming with your friends. This'll give the game some real longevity that most Home games lack, no matter how many levels they're garnished with.

Let's use the recent user-created Cutthroats events as an example. How much more fun would "Sink Conrad Max!" have been if the individual ship crews could have all chatted with each other while sailing around and blowing stuff up? How much more festive and engrossing would the overall game and social experience have been?

Voice chat is a huge addition to Cutthroats, and I suspect a lot of groups will be having team-building events and competitions there as a result of this change, particularly in concert with the change in leaderboards to reflect killstreaks. Absolutely fantastic additions to the features list.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Message 33 of 47 (317 Views)
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Sep 1, 2012

NorseGamer wrote:

Jackzero99 wrote:

No mutiny?? How are we going to change captains then??

One of the the gameplay elements that tended to be abused in the original Cutthroats was that you'd have someone come in (typically low level), spam "Go Go Go Go Go Go" in the quickchat, and then pull the mutiny card. Gunners, while reloading their cannons, would accidentally tap X (causing a "Yes" vote), and the troll would end up captaining the boat.  You could wrestle with trying to get the captaincy back (while being shot at), but what tended to happen, more often than not, is that people simply ditched the boat in frustration and went back to the pier to find another boat or leave the game space entirely. All it takes is half a dozen mutiny spam-trolls to disrupt an entire instance, which I've personally observed more than once.

It would be awesome if we could vote to make said troll walk the plank rather than the crew having to abandon ship. Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 47 (286 Views)
Uncharted Territory
900 posts

Sep 1, 2012

NorseGamer, I got many doses of that GoGoGoGoGo MUTINY! thing noobs would do. I have gotten to the point of checking the board and only playing with people at the top level or near the top, so as not to have to deal with that. I'm certainly guilty of abandoning a boat someone's done that with, and often! Smiley LOL

This is really exciting! It's a really fun game, and it's awesome to see it's being spruced up and tended to, and isn't an orphan, which sometimes happens. I can hardly wait for the new release!

Message 35 of 47 (250 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Sep 1, 2012

Good to see that, you guys haven't abandoned this game yet.

Will be looking forward to 2.0, when it releases.

Cat Very Happy

Message 36 of 47 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Sep 2, 2012

ScatterShot.jpg

Tee hee hee. Boom.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Message 37 of 47 (189 Views)
Splicer
34 posts

Sep 2, 2012
no level increase and instant reward gains will cause previous max lvl players to not give it another go. But aside from the lvl cap not being increased everything else seems great. It will be super fun with voice chat on the boats with friends !
Message 38 of 47 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1691 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 4, 2012

Man! It sure seems the devs took careful note of the numerous complaints/suggestions (many of which I had, especially the mutiny trolls) and spent the time and effort to work on and improve on this game! Good to see it was not abandoned at all and there are future plans (which let's hope follow through)!! Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 47 (125 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28559 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 4, 2012

The only thing that Develpment can't change are the number of people who do not know how to attack or defend a ship. The way many people play the game is suicidal. Like they're determined to get shot and sunk.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 40 of 47 (112 Views)
0 Likes