Oct 29 2013
By: LilithMorrigan Lombax Warrior 80 posts

C/D: PS Home makes "a lot" of money

20 replies 605 views Edited Oct 29, 2013

Let me get this out of the way first: I realize that there is no way for us to actually know the exact profitability (or lack of) of PS Home. So any discussion here is merely opinion / speculation. However after discussing this topic with a number of people I find it to be a somewhat interesting topic, and would like to hear this community's opinon.

I'd love to hear some points and counter points on this topic. Here are some typical ones I have seen or said myself during discussion.

Statement: "I know a number of people that have bought literally 1000's of dollars of virtual items on Home."

Counter: "As do I. These people are part of the extreme minority that keeps Home afloat."

Statement: "thousands/hundreds of thousands/millions of people use Home every day"

Counter: "Firstly, where are these numbers coming from? I seem to see a lot of the same people over and over again for such a supposedly populated community. Secondly, what percentage of the people that come on Home actually stay and buy items?"

Statement: "If Home is so profitable, why isn't Home confirmed to be on the PS4 at launch? Or at all, ever? If Home was extremely profitable, wouldn't work on a PS4 version/ porting the PS3 version, etc, have been started long ago to ensure it was ready at launch, to maximize the potential profitability for the next generation"

Counter: I haven't seen any good response to this.

I'd love to see some civil, intelligent discussion on this.

Message 1 of 21 (605 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
512 posts

Re: C/D: PS Home makes "a lot" of money

Oct 29, 2013

I think multiple times Sony has confirmed that Home has made them a profit.

How much of a profit? Who knows.

As for why it's not on PS4, maybe they just hvae bigger stuff to worry about?

Porting or streaming Home would be  big deal that would require a lot of work to make sure everything works properly and doesn't fall apart. Just becuse it won't be there at launch doesn't mean it's never coming.

=First in the world to 100% Fat Princess=

Message 2 of 21 (598 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Oct 29, 2013

Home makes Sony no where near what it used to. Numbers are not even given out to third party groups as to how many users log in daily but Sony knows. Sony, although renaming their Home community managers Digital Platforms are giving them other duties as well as watching over Home still takes their cut from 3rd party devs who keep Home up and running so not much has changed there. the next big step in evolution is can home stay afloat when many home users move onto the new playstation system. If Home doesn't go to PS4 then.. Guess we will see what happens.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 3 of 21 (584 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
416 posts

Oct 29, 2013

It's really hard to say.  Some projects aren't announced until they're almost ready for people to try.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if a new Home was unveiled in a year or two.

Message 4 of 21 (535 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5754 posts

Oct 29, 2013

LilithMorrigan wrote:

Let me get this out of the way first: I realize that there is no way for us to actually know the exact profitability (or lack of) of PS Home. So any discussion here is merely opinion / speculation. However after discussing this topic with a number of people I find it to be a somewhat interesting topic, and would like to hear this community's opinon.

I'd love to hear some points and counter points on this topic. Here are some typical ones I have seen or said myself during discussion.

Statement: "I know a number of people that have bought literally 1000's of dollars of virtual items on Home."

Counter: "As do I. These people are part of the extreme minority that keeps Home afloat."

Statement: "thousands/hundreds of thousands/millions of people use Home every day"

Counter: "Firstly, where are these numbers coming from? I seem to see a lot of the same people over and over again for such a supposedly populated community. Secondly, what percentage of the people that come on Home actually stay and buy items?"

Statement: "If Home is so profitable, why isn't Home confirmed to be on the PS4 at launch? Or at all, ever? If Home was extremely profitable, wouldn't work on a PS4 version/ porting the PS3 version, etc, have been started long ago to ensure it was ready at launch, to maximize the potential profitability for the next generation"

Counter: I haven't seen any good response to this.

I'd love to see some civil, intelligent discussion on this.

Yup, you said it...it's all speculation.

Message 5 of 21 (529 Views)
I Only Post Everything
940 posts

Oct 29, 2013

There has been a few devs that has said they don't make that much money, but still love to create stuff for Home. So that pretty much sums it.

Some might make more, some might make less. But pretty much I think it just comes down to about even. Might be ok for small to mid developers, but for larger devs I don't think they can take that.

Message 6 of 21 (508 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Oct 29, 2013
If the devs struggle to break even or profit, and their costs aren't as high as Sony's....what do you think Sony makes from Home?

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 7 of 21 (484 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Oct 29, 2013

Tempest Fire has stated that Home makes money and that traffic isn't an issue. I don't think any financial information would be something they would share. The big question is whether or not Home is profitable enough for developers and Sony to actually care about porting this to PS4.

I don't suspect we will get an answer any time soon. 

Message 8 of 21 (479 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4522 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2013

LilithMorrigan wrote:

However after discussing this topic with a number of people I find it to be a somewhat interesting topic, and would like to hear this community's opinon.

I suggest you check out the following thread:

Reality Check: some Home developers don't make enough money

Not only is it full of the kind of opinions you apparently are interested in, but it even includes a great deal of insight directly from a developer on the current state of Home and the struggle developers have in making enough to continue developing content for Home.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 9 of 21 (465 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Oct 30, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:
If the devs struggle to break even or profit, and their costs aren't as high as Sony's....what do you think Sony makes from Home?

25-30 percent off 3rd party devs. Advertising/ads, Who knows? They also still make items now and then plus some Sony devs do work on some video games outsourcing.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 10 of 21 (453 Views)
0 Likes