Uncharted Territory
982 posts

Re: Ban the word Troll in Forum and Home

Jan 18, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Also I would like to clarify one thing.  I did expect a backlash but that is not the same as wanting one.  Martin Luther King expected a backlash when he made his "I Have a Dream" speech yet it is not something he wanted.  There is a big difference.   I too have a dream that one day hateful terms such as "troll", "perv" , "noob" etc are no longer fashionable or considered funny or amusing.   For further reference I would like to recommend one of my early threads-  "Are Pervs the New Underdogs of Home?".    I personally think perhaps it is somewhat ahead of its time but all crusaders for justice have traditionally run that risk.

By equating your "fight" to have the troll word banned to a civil rights leaders "fight" to get equal rights for a ppl that were enslaved for hundreds of years, I hate to inform ya but you probably just lost any support you may have had lol

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 81 of 90 (202 Views)
Sackboy
414 posts

Jan 18, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Also I would like to clarify one thing.  I did expect a backlash but that is not the same as wanting one.  Martin Luther King expected a backlash when he made his "I Have a Dream" speech yet it is not something he wanted.  There is a big difference.   I too have a dream that one day hateful terms such as "troll", "perv" , "noob" etc are no longer fashionable or considered funny or amusing.   For further reference I would like to recommend one of my early threads-  "Are Pervs the New Underdogs of Home?".    I personally think perhaps it is somewhat ahead of its time but all crusaders for justice have traditionally run that risk.

Perv is never amusing.... Especially to those being Sexually Harassed for having Female Avatars....

And if you're encouraging Sexual Harassment that's just socially unacceptable.

Message 82 of 90 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Jan 18, 2013

Jacked-Assassin wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Perv is never amusing.... Especially to those being Sexually Harassed for having Female Avatars....

Perhaps you should read the thread before making an uninformed comment. 

Message 83 of 90 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Jan 18, 2013

TC915 wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

By equating your "fight" to have the troll word banned to a civil rights leaders "fight" to get equal rights for a ppl that were enslaved for hundreds of years, I hate to inform ya but you probably just lost any support you may have had lol

My point is that all oppression and hateful words are bad.  I'm not equating myself with anyone and I am sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.

Message 84 of 90 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
414 posts

Jan 18, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Jacked-Assassin wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

But the word Perv is used on those who usually Sexually Harass Others.

What your your implying there makes as much sense as people who feel like underdogs for celebrating white pride.

Even if that is not the context that is going to be the first thing people think about when acknowledging such stuff.

If the word perv were banned & Sexual Predator took its place would you want to start calling Sexual Predators underdogs too?

Message 85 of 90 (173 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 18, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

The-Sarge wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:
 I expected a backlash but since a lot of them are the usual self-righteous know it alls who preach "do as I say not as I do" I try and not let it bother me. 

So you admit it.  You started this thread with the intent of starting discord and hostility.  Specifically certain people.  You threw bait out with the explicit purpose of getting people to bite in a hostile fashion.  The very definition of trolling.

So basically, you are a troll.  This whole thread is a troll.

Now, why do you want the word banned?  Is it because the word is really so bad, or is it because the shoe fits you so well.

If I was a thief, and everyone kept rightly calling me a thief, I would probably want the word "thief" banned as well.

Me thinks you doth protest to much.

I expected a backlash because all progressive thinkers always expect to be confronted with reactionary hateful opposition.  But my hope is that with time there will be no backlash and people will accept that the word troll is unacceptable just like the nword.  Let's not forget so quickly or sweep under the rug the fact that the word "troll" also has its origin in racial hatred. I explained this in earlier replies.  Please read more carefully instead of just attacking me.  I hope that I am right in assuming you are not anti-semitic.

So progressive thought is now about censorship and limiting people's freedom to express themselves? Good to know.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 86 of 90 (164 Views)
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Jan 18, 2013

Jacked-Assassin wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Jacked-Assassin wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

But the word Perv is used on those who usually Sexually Harass Others.

What your your implying there makes as much sense as people who feel like underdogs for celebrating white pride.

Even if that is not the context that is going to be the first thing people think about when acknowledging such stuff.

If the word perv were banned & Sexual Predator took its place would you want to start calling Sexual Predators underdogs too?

Nothing would make me happier than if the word "perv" was banned and replaced with TOS breaker or Sexual Predator. That basically was the essence of the thread which I recommend you read and then perhaps you will understand how much heartbreak I had to endure because of the stand I took.   Also could you please tone down your aggressiveness as I am somewhat sensitive and you are beginning to hurt my feelings and even scare me.

Message 87 of 90 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Jan 18, 2013

styx   &   stones   Smiley Tongue

Message 88 of 90 (135 Views)
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Jan 18, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

The-Sarge wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:
 I expected a backlash but since a lot of them are the usual self-righteous know it alls who preach "do as I say not as I do" I try and not let it bother me. 

So you admit it.  You started this thread with the intent of starting discord and hostility.  Specifically certain people.  You threw bait out with the explicit purpose of getting people to bite in a hostile fashion.  The very definition of trolling.

So basically, you are a troll.  This whole thread is a troll.

Now, why do you want the word banned?  Is it because the word is really so bad, or is it because the shoe fits you so well.

If I was a thief, and everyone kept rightly calling me a thief, I would probably want the word "thief" banned as well.

Me thinks you doth protest to much.

I expected a backlash because all progressive thinkers always expect to be confronted with reactionary hateful opposition.  But my hope is that with time there will be no backlash and people will accept that the word troll is unacceptable just like the nword.  Let's not forget so quickly or sweep under the rug the fact that the word "troll" also has its origin in racial hatred. I explained this in earlier replies.  Please read more carefully instead of just attacking me.  I hope that I am right in assuming you are not anti-semitic.

So progressive thought is now about censorship and limiting people's freedom to express themselves? Good to know.

You are misintrepreting the boundaries of censorship and free speech I think.  There is no guarantee of free speech in a forum such as this nor should there be.  Sony chooses what we are able to say here as well they should.  Free speech is for public newspapers etc.  I am saying that the words I have said should be banned and added to all the other words that are banned or replaced with asterisks.   Some words must be banned on a family-friendly outlet such as this.

Message 89 of 90 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

So your back door to censorship is to expand the definition of what's considered obscene? Where does that end?

Thanks for explaining that free speech is limited to public newspapers and etc., whatever that may be. I wasn't awre of that, either. Progressive thought really has come a long way.

This thread has run its course. Locking. -space_cape!!

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 90 of 90 (131 Views)