Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

Re: Bad news for the sodium telepad...

Oct 4, 2012

Digitman3 wrote:

I have some pretty awesome glitched spaces and really enjoy showing them to people who haven't been outside a space before.  They are fascinated by what they see.

If the replacement is done how Strider is describing, my spaces will be ruined and I'll be crushed.

If it's done how Pyro describes, I won't have a problem with it.  I've seen items receive updates that were floating in a glitched area and they remained intact right where I left them.  But this issue with the pads is different I think.

The pads need to be "Played", or seperated, to operate.  I have no idea if they replace them as Pryo describes if they will be able to "Play" them upon replacement and they will remain where they have been placed.

A bigger question though, is why?  They have already patched the ability to pop things out of your space, so why change the pads, if not to deny you access to your glitched area?  I don't see any other reason for this, and if this is the case, I'll have a real problem with it.

I just don't understand why these morons can't leave us alone, we're not hurting anyone.  Smiley Mad  Dean 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the telepads.  Its a shame if we do loose all of our hard work we have done with our spaces, but oh well...life goes on. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 90 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Oct 4, 2012

Digitman3 wrote:

I have some pretty awesome glitched spaces and really enjoy showing them to people who haven't been outside a space before.  They are fascinated by what they see.

If the replacement is done how Strider is describing, my spaces will be ruined and I'll be crushed.

If it's done how Pyro describes, I won't have a problem with it.  I've seen items receive updates that were floating in a glitched area and they remained intact right where I left them.  But this issue with the pads is different I think.

The pads need to be "Played", or seperated, to operate.  I have no idea if they replace them as Pryo describes if they will be able to "Play" them upon replacement and they will remain where they have been placed.

A bigger question though, is why?  They have already patched the ability to pop things out of your space, so why change the pads, if not to deny you access to your glitched area?  I don't see any other reason for this, and if this is the case, I'll have a real problem with it.

I just don't understand why these morons can't leave us alone, we're not hurting anyone.  Smiley Mad  Dean 

I've seen some of your spaces and they are a site to behold. I truly hope they won't be spoiled. 

Message 12 of 90 (324 Views)
Gaming Beast
1940 posts

Oct 4, 2012

Classic case of two 5 year olds fighting and momma Sony stepping in to resolve the dispute.... In the end the customer suffers because of it.... By the time the devs get it they will have lost all their paying customers.... Heaven forbid the customer will have more creativity than allowed by the oh mighty dollar.... 

Makes me sick, sad and sorry...  Smiley Sad

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 13 of 90 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Oct 4, 2012

from what i have heard through various places and people is that Lockwood is  branching off into the Japan server of Home.

But the people who run that dont really like glitchers and since the main use of the telepad is the glitch, they will not allow it on their server as it currently is.

now i am not saying that is the sole reason of the telepad patch but could easily be one of them.

Message 14 of 90 (298 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

Oct 4, 2012
OK here’s what I think will happen.

Firstly, the item will be updated in your inventory when the new version is released, and it will replace the existing telepads you have now. However, it will very likely NOT be deleted or moved from your existing spaces because those layouts are stored locally on your hard drive. These specific space files contain an item’s specific ID number (like what we would call a SKU in the retail world) and the placement of said item. The save file does not contain the item itself; that is stored on Home servers. Once a space loads, the item will be pulled from the servers, any updates done on the backend to the item will load as appropriate.

Essentially it boils down to this, when a space loads after the update will reflect the new and improved telepads will appear. But in most cases it should not affect existing glitched apartments. Now, I say this with a caveat because there may be some exceptions. If they have fiddled with the functionality parameters of the active item, then there may be an issue, especially if a telepad happens to be in a relatively confined area. However, if its in an open area I don’t foresee an issue. My guess is that the update will largely be about restricting access in certain areas where it was never intended to go, but functionality would remain the same.
Photobucket
Message 15 of 90 (291 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 4, 2012

On a separate note, I am not a glitcher of apartments, however I do know many who are and I endorse their creativity and have really enjoyed seeing many spaces (I’d like to see your spaces some time Dean). Unfortunately, this all comes down to developers, especially those with a strong sense of pride like Kazumo-san (and I’m just using him as a general example, I think the consensus is broad IMO). And I do not necessarily have an argument with that there. They created the spaces and its their right to protect it and update it as they wish, and I have no right to question if they get upset because we are accessing portions of a space that was not intended to be accessible.

Now, I layed out the developer’s possible point-of-view (and maybe we should have an actual developer offer their take) but as a Home user I’m of the optinion that this revisionism smacks of cynicism in light of this “Play. Create. Share.” mantra. I also have to remember a statement that a former HCM gave a few years ago about something like (and I’m wildly paraphrasing here) “we give you the tools but in the end its up to you to create and enhance this wonderful world we have here”. This was originally a response to complaints about the lack of variety in items being offered in Home (something that’s clearly not an issue these days lol). The point being is that is EXACTLY what these so called “space glitchers” are doing, and if its not causing any problems to the backend or to people’s systems or other users (and I have no evidence of that happening) than where’s the issue? And call me cynical if you must, but when I see stuff like this happen I get a little worried at whatever possible revisionism could happen with the “delayed” Essence of the Seven Winds active item. Sorry, but this is one area where I think we should be left alone to our devices.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 90 (287 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

Oct 4, 2012
Oh and before I get off my soap box. I know everyone does this but it bears repeating: back up your apartment save files. Preferably to a USB drive. #endrant
Photobucket
Message 17 of 90 (282 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

Oct 4, 2012
Ugh. Please forgive my repetitiveness on the second post. Bad editing. I'll revise it later on my computer. My point still stands.
Photobucket
Message 18 of 90 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Oct 4, 2012

The ability to glitch spaces has already been patched for the most part.  As far as I know, there are very few items that can be glitched out of a select number of locations anymore.  The Telepads mostly enable access to previously glitched items and places at this point.

Updating the Telepads is really just a big middle finger to many people who have exercised their creativity with some awesome "exterior" decorating over the years.  As Miss_Ann_Thrope said, it's the developers' prerogative to grant access to their products at they see fit.  I'm not going to whine, argue or petition anybody over the situation.

I've seen Dean's apartments and they truly are an artistic endeavour.  It would just be disappointing to see the hard work and creativity of so many users be stifled over something that's not even a problem anymore.  And likely, never really was a problem in the first place.

castle3
Message 19 of 90 (268 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Oct 4, 2012

One more thing...

If Lockwood hadn't been wasting their time needlessly modifying the Telepads, maybe their Gift Machine and Mercia space would actually be working properly by now.

castle3
Message 20 of 90 (261 Views)