Wastelander
582 posts

Re: Bad news for the sodium telepad...

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

Everyone who bought these pads to get into parts of their personal spaces they shouldn't have knew full well there was a chance that one day either the spaces or even the pads might be patched. We all took that risk anyway. Yeah, I bought a set too to get to the Dream Yacht beach, and yeah, these pads are pretty much useless to me now if they change that. Yes that sucks and I'm not happy one bit with Sony and especially Granzella for doing it, and yes retroactively changing items does sort of violate our rights as consumers which is just par for the course nowdays across the videogame industry where we sign all our rights away the moment we log in online (Microsoft and Steam are no different now). BUT it's not like the telepads being patched is completely unexpected or particularly shocking. It's certainly not the end of Home as we know it (sic) as some here are making it out to be with empty over the top threats about leaving Home they have absolutely no intention of carrything through on. I've grown tired of exagerrated hyperbole and aggressive overblown rhetoric on internet forums generally, and thankfully this forum is still mercifully free of it mostly. Calmness, rationality and putting problems in perspective makes for much healthier discourse.

Message 51 of 90 (935 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Oct 5, 2012

If Lockwood hadn't been wasting their time needlessly modifying the Telepads, maybe their Gift Machine and Mercia space would actually be working properly by now.

I dont believe LKWD is responsible for this change so lets not point fingers at a Dev that has always been generous with the community.  2nd we dont know how this is gonna affect glitched spaces, I think we should wait until we can see what this will do before we go in an uproar about it.  If this does affect how places are glitched then Sony is just shooting itself in the foot.

Message 52 of 90 (912 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Oct 5, 2012

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

If Lockwood hadn't been wasting their time needlessly modifying the Telepads, maybe their Gift Machine and Mercia space would actually be working properly by now.

I dont believe LKWD is responsible for this change so lets not point fingers at a Dev that has always been generous with the community.  2nd we dont know how this is gonna affect glitched spaces, I think we should wait until we can see what this will do before we go in an uproar about it.  If this does affect how places are glitched then Sony is just shooting itself in the foot.

I agree that Lockwood was not the driving force behind the change.  In fact, I'd guess that it was something of an irritating pain in the arse for them to do so.  My only point in the post that you quoted was that more pressing matters have had to sit on the back burner while they were forced to attend to this non-issue.

castle3
Message 53 of 90 (896 Views)
Survivor
1924 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Lockwood responded to a reply about this elsewhere

We didn't want the item to be changed, but unfortunately it was necessary so that it could remain in the store - sorry :/

Looks like the change was forced on Lockwood. 

But it may be possible to keep the teleports AS IS with our glitches intact. IF Lockwood lets Sony remove the current telepads from the store, then our current Telepad setups would be untouched.  Then Lockwood can create a DUPLICATE telepad that is glitch-free in the store and sell that instead.

That is the best of both worlds. Provided it happens FAST. Only have a few days before the change will screw us all up.

If this is important to you, it might help to let Lockwood know you want to keep your telepads untouched NOW. Email them. Or tweet them.  Or use Facebook. But hurry if you care.

Message 54 of 90 (865 Views)
Monster Hunter
29 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

Lockwood has stated that they did not want to make this change. From the wording, it sounds like they were told to do something specific or meet some specific goal with the redesign and their choice was to make the change for have the item removed. Historically, Lockwood has been very focused on making their customers happy and I think they have succeeded well. They know why people buy these pads and how they are used and thus they know what their customers want from them.

So with this, there is an fairly obvious conclusion to be drawn: if there is any way to make the changes they are required to and still allow the pads to remain in place or continue being used as they are, the dev team will try to find it and make it happen. If it DOES change, I feel confident in believing that they tried as hard as they could to keep that from happening.

(Now insert trolls chiding me for my "childish" belief that Lockwwod is fighting the good fight while they completely miss the irony of their own actions...)

Message 55 of 90 (823 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
2961 posts

Oct 5, 2012

JP Home removed these telepads from there store. When youtubes showing the telepads outside personal spaces there. Personal spaces that were only available in Japan at the time. So that is the reason for this update. As far as the pads staying were you put them. LKWD has already stated they don't know what will happen. But knowing how the catalog system works here. At the very least everyone's telepads will be reset. Not once did I say LKWD was the blame here. In fact I have already pointed out in a earlier post what I'm saying here now...

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Message 56 of 90 (798 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Oct 6, 2012
:^/ As I understand it, the location data for telepad A is stored in your space's configuration data file on your PS3 hard drive, separate from your Home cache. This allows us to back up our data to thumb drive, and also allows us to delete/reinstall Home without losing our personal space configuration data. Well, I suspect that the telepad object saves its location data for pad B in the same file. This is why we don't have to reset them any more than we need to reset other furniture when deleting/reinstalling Home, etc.

;^) Soooo.... as long as the new version of the telepad reads/saves its B pad location data the same as the previous telepad did, space glitchers shouldn't have any problems. (unless the dimensions of the telepads are larger, which could create an issue or two....)
Message 57 of 90 (759 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Oct 6, 2012

I guess we'll find out soon enough. One has to hope for the best. 

Message 58 of 90 (754 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1571 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Digitman3 wrote:

I have some pretty awesome glitched spaces and really enjoy showing them to people who haven't been outside a space before.  They are fascinated by what they see.

If the replacement is done how Strider is describing, my spaces will be ruined and I'll be crushed.

If it's done how Pyro describes, I won't have a problem with it.  I've seen items receive updates that were floating in a glitched area and they remained intact right where I left them.  But this issue with the pads is different I think.

The pads need to be "Played", or seperated, to operate.  I have no idea if they replace them as Pryo describes if they will be able to "Play" them upon replacement and they will remain where they have been placed.

A bigger question though, is why?  They have already patched the ability to pop things out of your space, so why change the pads, if not to deny you access to your glitched area?  I don't see any other reason for this, and if this is the case, I'll have a real problem with it.

I just don't understand why these morons can't leave us alone, we're not hurting anyone.  Smiley Mad  Dean 

I've seen some of your spaces and they are a site to behold. I truly hope they won't be spoiled. 

We can only hope this is not the end of an era. I was lucky enough to take the grand tour offered by Dean. His spaces are a work of art and wickedly surprising. Not sure how he maneuvered some of his creations, but was truly impressed. It is a shame for there to be so much focus on changing the Telepads, when there are other Home issues that need to be addressed. My hat is off to Dean for the time and ingenuity it took to create his amazing spaces.  

Posted Image
Message 59 of 90 (680 Views)
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Oct 9, 2012

It is the end of an era. There have been so many glitches patched over the past year, that Home has become as glitch-proof as it has ever been. Lockwood has always been a glitch friendly developer. Now Sony is being forced to patch the telepads because another developer doesn't want anything happening to their spaces that is not "realistic". Well, I don't come to a virtual community for the experience to be exactly like real life. If that were the case, I'd just live my real life and be done with it because there would be no difference.

The telepads will become pretty useless if they lose all their glitching ability, because there is really no need to waste 22 item spots to teleport to another easily accessible area in a personal space. Woman Frustrated

Message 60 of 90 (669 Views)
0 Likes