Feb 06 2013
By: Gilgamesh680 Hekseville Citizen 202 posts

BEWARE - Fake "FAM" scams

34 replies 592 views Edited Feb 6, 2013

Use caution when you are approached by someone to join a 'Fam' (family).  Some of these Fams are scams meant to take your money.  Here's how they work:

A cute female avatar approaches you and asks if you want to join a Fam.  She might claim to be "new at this recruiting thing" and be perfectly charming.  There is always another 'Fam' member close by to answer any questions you have and reassure you that this is a good thing.  If you do join, you get invited to their gatherings, and there are people there that pay a lot of attention to you, to keep you engaged. 

The rules of the Fam are: you must pop their color, respect each other (so you become compliant to them), and then you must pay DUES.  The dues are paid by PSN card numbers you buy and then give them.  Now, they have your money.

This is a total scam.  They are only paying attention to you to get your money.  Never, never give strangers your money just because they pay attention to you in Home; there are plenty of real people there that want to socialize with you without fees.

Post here with your experiences in Fams, real or scams.

Message 1 of 35 (592 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3916 posts

Re: BEWARE - Fake "FAM" scams

Feb 6, 2013
Better idea: Just ignore fams altogether.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 35 (565 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Feb 6, 2013
wow on top of being annoying and trolls now theyre con artists
Message 3 of 35 (564 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1691 posts

Feb 6, 2013
The minute they mention the word "Fee", you should remove them all and walk out.

I have heard of it the other way around. Where members are actually paid in PSN cards.

The best bet is to deal with your own finances and not involve yourself with this. The anonymity of the Internet lends itself a sense of invincibility. People capitalize on it. Figuratively (and literally).
Message 4 of 35 (551 Views)
Survivor
1454 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Gilgamesh680 wrote:

Use caution when you are approached by someone to join a 'Fam' (family).  Some of these Fams are scams meant to take your money.  Here's how they work:

A cute female avatar approaches you and asks if you want to join a Fam.  She might claim to be "new at this recruiting thing" and be perfectly charming.  There is always another 'Fam' member close by to answer any questions you have and reassure you that this is a good thing.  If you do join, you get invited to their gatherings, and there are people there that pay a lot of attention to you, to keep you engaged. 

The rules of the Fam are: you must pop their color, respect each other (so you become compliant to them), and then you must pay DUES.  The dues are paid by PSN card numbers you buy and then give them.  Now, they have your money.

This is a total scam.  They are only paying attention to you to get your money.  Never, never give strangers your money just because they pay attention to you in Home; there are plenty of real people there that want to socialize with you without fees.

How much they get you for?  Smiley Happy  DG

Posted Image
Message 5 of 35 (550 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 6 of 35 (547 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1051 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Lol. FAM Scams!

If your female and want to pass some time join a fam, let a few start to like you by talking on the mic(its that easy) then break all the rules and watch them fight each other Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Astrocytoma can ruin my life but it can't break my spirit...Ghost minded and in the Shadows. Don't get it? yeah thats because it isn't normal.
Message 7 of 35 (544 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
202 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Digitman - when they asked me to pay, I walked away.

Message 8 of 35 (501 Views)
Fender Bender
3075 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2013

I would never join a "fam" anyways. But to give a "fam" money? I would love to meet the person desperate enough to do that. Smiley LOL

bobs fed signature
Message 9 of 35 (491 Views)
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Gilgamesh680 wrote:

Could this perhaps be the oldest family of all time ie the family of prostitution?  The world's oldest profession.

Message 10 of 35 (483 Views)