Jun 11 2014
By: Spinner-180 Hekseville Citizen 239 posts

Atom Republics' Group Dance Sell

[ Edited ]
9 replies 581 views Edited Jun 11, 2014

Was gonna buy Atom Repubilcs's group dances until I discovered all fives dances are $3.49 each. I was expecting for them to be similiar to LKWD's group dances (where all dances are one item) but with five dances instead of only two. Turns out, if you wanted to purchase all five dances from Atom Republic, the cost would be just over 17 bucks, and if they were going to be priced at a separate cost, they should have been at the most $2.49 each since its one dance your paying for. Even if I were to buy all of them, switching back and forth through the inventory would be a drag, as Home lags a lot especially when in public spaces. This would just cause people to lose interest in group dancing because it takes forever sometimes to activate an item from the inventory.

Message 1 of 10 (581 Views)
I Only Post Everything
419 posts

Re: Atom Republics' Group Dance Sell

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for posting that information, @Spinner-180 ! I too am shocked at the price. I definitely think all 5 dances should've been condensed into one, or possibly two GAP dances... but I'm guessing the reason they went with a single GAP dance per LMO, is memory limitations. 

I know that LKWD has two in each of theirs but AR's look to have slightly longer animations which I think is the reason they used one per LMO. I could be wrong though and would love for Atom Republic to chime in on this issue.  @AtomRepublicCM 

Here's a link to the thread I posted over the weekend that has a video for the dances if anyone is interested in seeing them before buying them.

Hope this helps! =^)

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/New-Atom-Republic-GAP-dances-NA-EU-release-d...

Message 2 of 10 (535 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
239 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2014

GreyNeo wrote:

I definitely think all 5 dances should've been condensed into one, or possibly two GAP dances... but I'm guessing the reason they went with a single GAP dance per LMO, is memory limitations. 

I see what you mean as far as the length of the dances particularly the Chicken Dance and the Disco Fever. Having maybe two group dance packs seems reasonable, but it seems a little off when LKWD is charging $3.49 for two group dances and Atom Republic is pricing once group dance at $3.49. Having a group dance pack or two still makes more sense. :-P

Message 3 of 10 (496 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4495 posts

Jun 11, 2014

GreyNeo wrote:
Thank you for posting that information, @Spinner-180 ! I too am shocked at the price. I definitely think all 5 dances should've been condensed into one, or possibly two GAP dances... but I'm guessing the reason they went with a single GAP dance per LMO, is memory limitations. 

I know that LKWD has two in each of theirs but AR's look to have slightly longer animations which I think is the reason they used one per LMO. I could be wrong though and would love for Atom Republic to chime in on this issue.  @AtomRepublicCM  

Agreed, and thanks for posting that video as well.

While I often think "memory limitations" has been over used in order to make an excuse for not making an effort to improve an item, space, etc.  However I'm sure in some cases "memory limitations" is a reasonable reason.  In this case though, if they couldn't place at least two dances in each GAP, then the least they could do is lower the price for each one then.

Personally, I would wait to see what nDreams might come out with in terms of GAP dances, as their dance LMOs are not only usually less expensive than Atom Republic, but they also seem to not have as many "memory limitations" issues and thus have animation which is much more smooth thanks to mo-cap instead of the jerky animation as seen with dance LMOs from devs like AR and LKWD.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 4 of 10 (470 Views)
Atom Republic Developer
103 posts

Jun 12, 2014

"Thank you for posting that information, @Spinner-180 ! I too am shocked at the price. I definitely think all 5 dances should've been condensed into one, or possibly two GAP dances... but I'm guessing the reason they went with a single GAP dance per LMO, is memory limitations. 

I know that LKWD has two in each of theirs but AR's look to have slightly longer animations which I think is the reason they used one per LMO. I could be wrong though and would love for Atom Republic to chime in on this issue.  @AtomRepublicCM "

Hey Grey Neo, I wouldn't be surprised if your guess is correct about the memory limitations and longer animations, but I will check with the developer and see what he says about this issue, then get back to you guys.

AtomRepublicCM
Message 5 of 10 (414 Views)
Atom Republic Developer
39 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2014

Hello,

You are right: the issue is memory limitation. A group dance can weigh about 50K, so it's about 10 seconds worth, depending on the movement  complexity.

So, if you have 2 dances in a pack instead of 1, they will have to be half as long... We opted for a longer choreography, so that everyone dances in sync, and it doesn't look too repetitive.

Message 6 of 10 (402 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
239 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2014

AtomRepublic wrote:

Hello,

You are right: the issue is memory limitation. A group dance can weigh about 50K, so it's about 10 seconds worth, depending on the movement  complexity.

So, if you have 2 dances in a pack instead of 1, they will have to be half as long... We opted for a longer choreography, so that everyone dances in sync, and it doesn't look too repetitive.

Well this makes sense, but the price isn't right, especially for a dance that is only slightly longer before it repeats itself. Over 17 bucks for five dances is just outrageous, and for those who have several portable items...because it takes way too long for the inventory to load all items because of the serious lag in Home, this makes the excessive waiting for validating purchases and loading other things, less tolerable. Also, how are these dances in a pack, as is stated, and says so in the News Viewer, when there is only one dance at a separate cost? Or are you simply referring to all 5 dances collectively even though they are $3.49 each?

Message 7 of 10 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11633 posts

Jun 13, 2014

$3.49 is a litle steep, especially when there is no bundle. There should've been a $9.99 bundle for all 5.

Message 8 of 10 (317 Views)
Atom Republic Developer
39 posts

Jun 13, 2014

Please let me insist on the fact that only ONE user needs to buy the item, and 8 users can join in. So effectively it costs 43 cents per user!

Message 9 of 10 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Jun 13, 2014

AtomRepublic wrote:

Please let me insist on the fact that only ONE user needs to buy the item, and 8 users can join in. So effectively it costs 43 cents per user!

Good point!  but even at .43 per person your stuck doing the same dance over and over.

It was like your 2 player animations, at first you only had the 2 bundles and there was animations in both I wanted.  Then you released the 2 player dance which was bundled with the 1st 2 player animations and I bought that one instead Smiley Very Happy Some people gravitate more to the bundles then individual items.  

Message 10 of 10 (277 Views)
0 Likes