Reply
First Son
Registered: 11/14/2013
Offline
9 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 18, 2013

I wasn't posting blank messages apologies to the Forum Moderators i had my Java Script turned off in reply to your post i'm not done with Playstation Home

Message 51 of 145 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 01/29/2011
Offline
1633 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

LightningEmotion LecturedElaborately:

Home itself , to me, was a poison. A mental poison. A world where anyone can look beautiful and be seen as such. Where anyone can live like a millionaire. It sounds like a juvenille thing to say; but for a lot of people, even though they will never admit it, Home is addictive because it can be an escape from their real lives. Not in the way you think...  but an escape from a life where they are unattractive or have repugnant personalities. Now they can look "perfect" (as far as perfect goes in Home, anyway) and have the vain, cocky attitude to go right along with it. For those people, the idea of Giving up on PS Home means giving up on that illusion and going back to their mundane realities.

 

But alternatively, I can't even blame the users in that regard. Just take a look at the majority of questionable new content. It's almost as if the content in Home is specifically designed to breed that type of elitist behaviour and mentality. For example, just take a look at some of the more ridiculous drama-scenes on Home and to a lesser extent, this forum. People thinking they are more important than others (they aren't) and they deserve better (they don't!). People thinking if they are personally insulted, wronged or offended, then the "offender" should be punished.

 

I don't know about anyone else, but upon realizing this predominately-held attitude was the norm in PS Home .. I just decided to leave. But if I had to blame some entity for making me want to give up on Home. I'd blame the content creators for catering to the narcissitic aspects of common Home-user's personalities , and I will also blame SCEA/SCEE for not maintaining some type of standard or non-elitist environment on PS Home.

 

PS Plus symbols near IDs, Customizable hair colors only for PS Plus, More text color chat options for people with PS Plus, Exclusive public spaces with "holding" areas where the common people can watch the VIP people from afar. Not only do the people who don't have access to those exclusive features feel inadequate and pressured to buy stuff they probably wouldnt want otherwise but the people who did have access to the exclusive features would act snobby about it. Like a cloud of noxious gas , this attitude permeated the very essence of PS Home, turning it from a social environment for gamers into a cesspit of revoltingly shallow pretentiousness, superficial patronizing, and festering oceans of self-pity and victim complexes. 


:^/ For your first point, Home's ability to let your avatar look like anything you're talented and artistic enough to make it resemble is certainly a part of Home's appeal, but don't portray that as a bad thing. It's not. Also, Home is not alone in this. Every such social application allows it, though Home is better at it because everything is more configurable here.

 

As for your second and third points, that sort of behavior is not really a Home thing per se, it's an Internet thing. You'll see it on Home, and on this board, as you say, but you'll see it on other message boards, too, and in most multi-player games that allows a headset you'll hear adolescents trash-talking everybody with language that tells you their parents aren't in the room.

 

On your third point, I'm thinking of X7 here. Letting the members and non-members interact was the developer's way to allow members to explain things to non-members. Using the venue to posture and strut and taunt and tease is on the individual users who choose to do that, and not on the developers.

 

:^/ In sum, the thing you're most disapproving of about Home is a sub set of the users. Well, their behavior is theirs and theirs alone to answer for. If one were to try to remedy that, it'd be best to address the root cause. I think the biggest thing that drives such behavior is boredom. A lack of other things for such folks to do in Home or elsewhere. They lack entertainment, so they create their own. They need guidiance as much as they need discipline.

 

The Home challenges are a good step in this direction. It provides something they can do, and motivates them to strike up friendships so that they can work together. It's not enough on its own, but it's a step forward, and I'm happy to see it.


Some of the things you said I agreed with, but I still believe that a attitude of self-superiority affects many users and keeps them addicted to it. For instance, do you really think people begged for Central Plaza to come back because of "the friends and community"? I personally believe that it was because people liked to stand their avis on the benchs and belittle noobs.  The fact that Serenity Plaza came out and isn't popular (because it's not the place where noobs congregate) only reinforces that point. People on Home like to feel that they are better than the next person. The devs know that and act accordingly.

 

There's also several other public spaces with "holding areas" , but I guess X7 is the most popular. But hey, I will say this.. If the cloud of elitism didn't exist in Home, I don't think it would be as popular (which isn't saying much) as it is now. People love showing their items off. 

 

NOTE: I also don't believe people come on Home to play games , challenges or any other reasons other than to hang out with friends and buy things to inflate their artificial egos. I've seen a few normal (relatively, speaking..) dudes turn into catty, obnoxious divas after experimenting with their female avatars too long. There's a well-known one actually who uses an avatar that looks (and acts) like Paris Hilton despite the fact he looks like Ruben Studdard

Message 52 of 145 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/30/2011
Offline
3825 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 18, 2013

Not at all.

KZMProductionsGT
Message 53 of 145 (297 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 02/15/2003
Online
28242 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 18, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

NOTE: I also don't believe people come on Home to play games , challenges or any other reasons other than to hang out with friends and buy things to inflate their artificial egos.


If that statement is true for everyone, please count me out. I may be the only one, but I do go on Home to interact with others, to play games (and Challenges), game launching  and just have fun. As for inflating my ego, it's not artificial and it's just the same as it's always been.

 

But that's me. I would never speak for everyone or assume and state that everyone is alike. I believe that we are all different. But that's just me again.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 54 of 145 (274 Views)
First Son
Registered: 03/14/2013
Offline
13 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 18, 2013
Im definitely not done yet
Message 55 of 145 (271 Views)
Shinra Executive
Registered: 05/22/2009
Offline
29271 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

LightningEmotion wrote:

NOTE: I also don't believe people come on Home to play games , challenges or any other reasons other than to hang out with friends and buy things to inflate their artificial egos.


If that statement is true for everyone, please count me out. I may be the only one, but I do go on Home to interact with others, to play games (and Challenges), game launching  and just have fun. As for inflating my ego, it's not artificial and it's just the same as it's always been.

 

But that's me. I would never speak for everyone or assume and state that everyone is alike. I believe that we are all different. But that's just me again.


Artifical Ego's? Says a lot about the people who continually push line this because they somehow don't fell like they fit in. The people i hang with are simply fun to be around and fun to talk to. 

Message 56 of 145 (253 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 09/22/2008
Offline
258 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 18, 2013

FF14 has been taking my psh time as of recent but after finishing my set of lv70 armor I'll probably be sorta bored and will probably get back on psh for a bit. 

 

I'm not done yet.

FF14 WAR
Message 57 of 145 (249 Views)
Shinra Executive
Registered: 05/22/2009
Offline
29271 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 18, 2013

Darcness wrote:

FF14 has been taking my psh time as of recent but after finishing my set of lv70 armor I'll probably be sorta bored and will probably get back on psh for a bit. 

 

I'm not done yet.


Sounds like you're having fun. I've been doing mostly that these days. It's an awesome game. I still love Home. One can do both. 

Message 58 of 145 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 09/22/2008
Offline
258 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 18, 2013

@52

lol, I've been a CP activist here before so I just wanted to say that maybe possibly the reason for us not liking Serenity might JUST have something to do with the fact that it isn't like CP.

 

I was excited for Serenity, but it felt like a perversion of CP at best.

FF14 WAR
Message 59 of 145 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/01/2012
Offline
1570 posts
 

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 18, 2013

In another thread, I made it abundantly clear that Home will stay in my daily routine. Friends and adventure are my main focus. Interesting that some people allow what they perceive of other people's motivation of Home to impact their experience. 

 

I really do not care what others do or do not  do on Home; as long as it does not interfere with others using Home in a positive manner. But to each his own. I will be on Home till they kick us off or until I find another alternative. 

 

My motto is Carpe Diem for a reason. Life is too short to make misery where there is really none. Use the tools to ignore the ones who are making trouble and cultivate the people who create positive experiences, wether on Home or real life. Smiley Happy Mur

Posted Image
Message 60 of 145 (225 Views)