Survivor
1041 posts

Re: Are you done with Home?

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

;^) I fell in love with PS4 and its games at E3, and pre-ordered a bunch of stuff as soon as I got home again. However, my PS4 games won't tear me away from Home any more than my PS3 games did before the PS4 launch.

As for Home's absence from PS4's launch interface, bear in mind that Home wasn't on PS3 at launch, either. I agree that Home's potential is too great for Sony to give up on it. PS4 presents an opportunity to re-write Home from the ground up, adding in support for features that would be too problematic to retro-fit into the existing Home on PS3. The timing might be better to wait until PS4 is adopted by more users than at launch, anyway. The larger the established user base, the greater the number of New Home adopters there would be, for any given percentage. And a larger community means more customers, which draw more developers, which means more competition, which means lower prices, which draw more users... it's a cycle, moving in a direction which is good for everyone. Right now, we're spiraling the other way: fewer customers mean higher prices means fewer customers.

:^/ The key difference is the size of the active user base. Right now, most gamers just laugh at Home, because their opinions were formed years ago, before Home grew to what it is now. Bringing them back to give Home a second look would take a big change on Home's part. It's not a technical thing, it's a psychological thing, and a New Home on PS4 could provide that psychological nudge that many may need. At least to check it out. Keeping them is another issue.

Drawing them in requires the psychology that a new launch will bring, but getting them to stay will also require technology. Certain existing issues would have to be addressed. Currently, Home loads very slowly, especially for those of us who've accumulated a bunch of crap over the years. Then there is the bugginess of some Home games, due to the limits imposed by memory. Freezing is an issue that would need correction, and so on.

All of these could be addressed in a PS4 version of Home. PS4 has sixteen times the RAM of PS3. Re-writing the application from scratch is not a hurdle, it's an opportuntiy. Sony is armed with five years of experience, learning what Home's users and developers like and want. If that experience is used wisely, a New Home could become everything the current one cannot.

:^/ Just my humble thoughts on the matter.

I'm not done with Playstation Home yet. Although I don't socialize much, I enjoy buying things from my favorite developers and telling them ideas about new contents. Hopefully, it would help Playstation Home stay longer.

I think PS4 is very cool. I put PS3 and PS4 side by side in the living room. I'm not very happy to show my Facebook profile to strangers on PSN. Just a few friends can see it.

Danger Dad, now you know that I'm a cat ha ha ha.

931303_10151580629476940_484921185_n.jpg

Thank you for the game tips, anyway.

knack_lower_marq.jpg

Message 41 of 145 (388 Views)
Sackboy
466 posts

Nov 18, 2013
I've been on Home since day 1, and will be on Home until the last day. As for the PS4.. My small town only got a handful of them (wallyworld only had 8 at launch, and GameStop didnt get much more than that) so I don't see myself getting one anytime soon unless a big shipment comes this way.
Message 42 of 145 (362 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4703 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Yeah. Unfortunately the "trouble makers" now have to resort to bugging people with their PVR and other mindless threats in world to those that are peacefully enjoying the company of their friends now that this place is quiet.

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

Also, I've seen less content getting published in Home, less people, and less posts in this forum.

That's because all the wanna be's, attention seekers and self proclaimed funny people have moved over to the Off Topic forum. Shall I name names? Didn't think so, it's pretty obvious.

Actually, this forum has been quite peaceful rather lately. It reminds me of a time before the forum went down hill. I rather like it.

Message 43 of 145 (360 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3855 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2013

LightningEmotion LecturedElaborately:

Home itself , to me, was a poison. A mental poison. A world where anyone can look beautiful and be seen as such. Where anyone can live like a millionaire. It sounds like a juvenille thing to say; but for a lot of people, even though they will never admit it, Home is addictive because it can be an escape from their real lives. Not in the way you think...  but an escape from a life where they are unattractive or have repugnant personalities. Now they can look "perfect" (as far as perfect goes in Home, anyway) and have the vain, cocky attitude to go right along with it. For those people, the idea of Giving up on PS Home means giving up on that illusion and going back to their mundane realities.

But alternatively, I can't even blame the users in that regard. Just take a look at the majority of questionable new content. It's almost as if the content in Home is specifically designed to breed that type of elitist behaviour and mentality. For example, just take a look at some of the more ridiculous drama-scenes on Home and to a lesser extent, this forum. People thinking they are more important than others (they aren't) and they deserve better (they don't!). People thinking if they are personally insulted, wronged or offended, then the "offender" should be punished.

I don't know about anyone else, but upon realizing this predominately-held attitude was the norm in PS Home .. I just decided to leave. But if I had to blame some entity for making me want to give up on Home. I'd blame the content creators for catering to the narcissitic aspects of common Home-user's personalities , and I will also blame SCEA/SCEE for not maintaining some type of standard or non-elitist environment on PS Home.

PS Plus symbols near IDs, Customizable hair colors only for PS Plus, More text color chat options for people with PS Plus, Exclusive public spaces with "holding" areas where the common people can watch the VIP people from afar. Not only do the people who don't have access to those exclusive features feel inadequate and pressured to buy stuff they probably wouldnt want otherwise but the people who did have access to the exclusive features would act snobby about it. Like a cloud of noxious gas , this attitude permeated the very essence of PS Home, turning it from a social environment for gamers into a cesspit of revoltingly shallow pretentiousness, superficial patronizing, and festering oceans of self-pity and victim complexes. 

:^/ For your first point, Home's ability to let your avatar look like anything you're talented and artistic enough to make it resemble is certainly a part of Home's appeal, but don't portray that as a bad thing. It's not. Also, Home is not alone in this. Every such social application allows it, though Home is better at it because everything is more configurable here.

As for your second and third points, that sort of behavior is not really a Home thing per se, it's an Internet thing. You'll see it on Home, and on this board, as you say, but you'll see it on other message boards, too, and in most multi-player games that allows a headset you'll hear adolescents trash-talking everybody with language that tells you their parents aren't in the room.

On your third point, I'm thinking of X7 here. Letting the members and non-members interact was the developer's way to allow members to explain things to non-members. Using the venue to posture and strut and taunt and tease is on the individual users who choose to do that, and not on the developers.

:^/ In sum, the thing you're most disapproving of about Home is a sub set of the users. Well, their behavior is theirs and theirs alone to answer for. If one were to try to remedy that, it'd be best to address the root cause. I think the biggest thing that drives such behavior is boredom. A lack of other things for such folks to do in Home or elsewhere. They lack entertainment, so they create their own. They need guidiance as much as they need discipline.

The Home challenges are a good step in this direction. It provides something they can do, and motivates them to strike up friendships so that they can work together. It's not enough on its own, but it's a step forward, and I'm happy to see it.

Message 44 of 145 (347 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1126 posts

Nov 18, 2013

No, I'm NEVER done with Home. I can't leave behind from how I started it. I met many good friends, made good things to have on Home, help the community, and host events. Yes, I did buy a PS4, but that won't stop me from leaving Home. I have two PS3s to keep me company to play games and to use Home. I just bought the PS4 so I can play my favorite games on it and soon to be Watch_Dogs and inFAMOUS: Second Son. I'LL...NEVER...BE...FAR...FROM...HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS: Pokémon has came to Home, thanks to Lockwood. Smiley Very Happy Whimsies!!! Smiley Tongue 

Message 45 of 145 (327 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Nov 18, 2013
I never left i was just taking a nap.. Geeeez.

Done with home? You must be joking. Never, I'm addicted. I am however done buying anything that is not related to the games. So i wont be spending much since they seem to be cashing in more on lmo's and spaces with nothing to do in them lately.
Message 46 of 145 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3075 posts

Nov 18, 2013

I'm definitely not done with Home. I have no interest in buying up any of the new consoles, and I won't be for at least another few years.

bobs fed signature
Message 47 of 145 (296 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Nov 18, 2013

SpdrGrl09 wrote:

I don't have a PS4...yet.  Probably won't get one until sometime early next year.  Even if I had one right now I would still be on Home on my PS3 and I will continue to be on every day like I have been until if and when they shut down Home for good.  Hopefully Home will eventually be on the PS4 at some point but if it isn't I will enjoy what time there is on the PS3.  When I do get a PS4 I will still be keeping my PS3s for as long as they last.  So far a couple of friends have told me they will get rid of their PS3 as soon as they get their PS4.  To each their own, I suppose, but as others have stated in another thread, my PS3 will be side by side with my PS4 when I get it.   Smiley Happy

LOL, right now i have my Old PHAT PS2 next to my Slim PS3... But the poor old PHAT PS2 doesn't get any use these days... But i won't get rid of it.  Nope!!!

I did get rid of my old PS1 many years ago... Since PS2 plays PS1 games i surely didn't need to keep that PS1 right...   Smiley Wink

If i ever do get a PS4 and as of right now not gonna HAPPEN!!! I would have it on the 2nd selve by itself.. and my PS2 And PS3 on the top selve Would be laughing there tails off that PS4 was on the 2nd Selve... HA HA HA!  They be like YO PS4 u don't RATE good as us? PS4 Says Why ya say That?!?!?!?!? PS2/PS3 says becuase were on the TOP Selve and ur on the 2nd Selve all by Ur Self... That alone shows us were number 1 all the way or we been moved to the Top Selve... 

Smiley Wink

But again right now as it STANDS i won't be buying a PS4 anytime soon that's for sure...  So my 2nd selve will stay with my 2nd PS3 that i only USE for PlayStation HOME... Yep Just for PlayStation HOME.... Take that PS4!!!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 48 of 145 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Support Forums
Message 49 of 145 (256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts