Uncharted Territory
871 posts

Re: Are you done with Home?

Nov 17, 2013

In theory, Home could continue indefinitely as long as people continue to use the service and they leave the servers on. Streaming Home on the PS4 via Gaikai could allow people who have transitioned over to use it as well. We know that Home is currently turning a profit based on that Eurogamer article. I have no plans to abandon Home anytime soon.

"...All life is transitory, a dream. We all come together in the same place, at the end of time. If I don't see you again here, I will see you, in a little while, in a place where no shadows fall." -Delenn, Babylon 5

Home-Brainiac-Winner-Ren_Echo.gif

Message 21 of 145 (490 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Nov 17, 2013
Still supporting home here.
Hoping sony doesn't let me and many home users down on importing this service to the ps4.
My inventory is bursting and I'm hoping for a fix soon. But even as so. The dummies handling home can't see the potential and the problems within it. And why I'm hoping home on ps4 fixes it. Because home is soo 2000 and late.
- Restless Dreams.
Message 22 of 145 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
204 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 17, 2013

I will remain on Home every day, until it is no longer available. I do believe that someday it, or it's replacement, will be available on the ps4, and that no announcement has been made because they are still trying to adapt it to the new console, and can't begin to guess at when it might be ready at this point. If I remember correctly, they pushed the release of the ps4 forward to compete with their competition's consoles. Their focus right now, is probably trying to make the strongest launch possible with whatever product they have available. People will be buying consoles and games for the holidays, not virtual bikini's and LMO's. BTW, I will not be buying a PS4 until they announce that Home will be released for it.

Message 23 of 145 (473 Views)
I Only Post Everything
735 posts

Nov 17, 2013

I haven't been on Home much due to GTA5. This doesn't mean I don't like Home anymore, but tbh hardly any of the friends I hung with are on there anymore. I find when I do go on, I wait and wait for decent convo, but it doesn't seem to happen unless you have your friend base to hang out with, lol.

But, someone mentioned something interesting to me. When the PS3 released Home was not on there, either. It was added later. Let's hope this goes the same for PS4. Don't stop using Home, because maybe it's release on PS4 is dependent on how many people support it currently.

I will say this. As I've been playing GTA5, I've realized I actually miss Home!!! Funny how not being on there for awhile does that!

Message 24 of 145 (447 Views)
Fender Bender
3264 posts

Nov 17, 2013

I'll probably ride it till it dies lol

Honestly it wasn't suggestive at all it was quite blatant!
Message 25 of 145 (440 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 17, 2013

I have no interest in GTAV, FFXIV, or 98% of modern games. I am not a "gamer" in the typical sense of the word, and I enjoy a high level of character aesthetics and customization which cannot be found on other games, and I don't like the graphical style other virtual worlds. Home will always be the one and only virtual world I enjoy, and I will continue spending money on it each week until the stop content updates. 

Even then, I may go back and purchase things I've always wanted to but never did. So yes, I will be on Home until it closes for good, and then I will go back to retro and indie games.

Message 26 of 145 (437 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3855 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2013

;^) I fell in love with PS4 and its games at E3, and pre-ordered a bunch of stuff as soon as I got home again. However, my PS4 games won't tear me away from Home any more than my PS3 games did before the PS4 launch.

As for Home's absence from PS4's launch interface, bear in mind that Home wasn't on PS3 at launch, either. I agree that Home's potential is too great for Sony to give up on it. PS4 presents an opportunity to re-write Home from the ground up, adding in support for features that would be too problematic to retro-fit into the existing Home on PS3. The timing might be better to wait until PS4 is adopted by more users than at launch, anyway. The larger the established user base, the greater the number of New Home adopters there would be, for any given percentage. And a larger community means more customers, which draw more developers, which means more competition, which means lower prices, which draw more users... it's a cycle, moving in a direction which is good for everyone. Right now, we're spiraling the other way: fewer customers mean higher prices means fewer customers.

:^/ The key difference is the size of the active user base. Right now, most gamers just laugh at Home, because their opinions were formed years ago, before Home grew to what it is now. Bringing them back to give Home a second look would take a big change on Home's part. It's not a technical thing, it's a psychological thing, and a New Home on PS4 could provide that psychological nudge that many may need. At least to check it out. Keeping them is another issue.

Drawing them in requires the psychology that a new launch will bring, but getting them to stay will also require technology. Certain existing issues would have to be addressed. Currently, Home loads very slowly, especially for those of us who've accumulated a bunch of crap over the years. Then there is the bugginess of some Home games, due to the limits imposed by memory. Freezing is an issue that would need correction, and so on.

All of these could be addressed in a PS4 version of Home. PS4 has sixteen times the RAM of PS3. Re-writing the application from scratch is not a hurdle, it's an opportuntiy. Sony is armed with five years of experience, learning what Home's users and developers like and want. If that experience is used wisely, a New Home could become everything the current one cannot.

:^/ Just my humble thoughts on the matter.

Message 27 of 145 (408 Views)
Wastelander
582 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 17, 2013

There's not much compelling reason to buy a PS4 this year. Almost all its games are available on other systems including PS3 and the few exclusives aren't getting particularly glowing reviews.

Home on PS3 offers more mature social interaction in a non-violent/non-shooter setting where the focus is on conversation with words rather than bullets. It offers imagination, creativity and fun beyond the usual boundaries of murder death kill that define most other games (especially GTA) nowdays. It offers fashion and customization beyond olive drab fatigues and rifle scopes. It offers beautiful personal spaces to own and decorate with a massive back catalogue of highly detailed items. It offers a strong Japanese developer presence, where said developers are not trying to simply ape Western shooter games.

PS4 currently offers none of that and until it ever does, Home will get my time and money.

Message 28 of 145 (396 Views)
Lombax Warrior
176 posts

Nov 17, 2013
Spoiler

i have the ps4 and i still get on home every day sure lately i been spending less time on it because ive been trying to catch up on all my games and tv and such i put on hold every since i started using home but i still do get on religiously and play around on it and after im fully cought up or need a break from getting caught up ill be back on alot more so no ive not given up at all theres still a ton of rewards i simply must get Smiley Tongue

as for all the people saying home wont be on ps4 i gotta say come on the system has only been out what 3 or 4 days? give it time to stretch its legs its not like ps3 was born with its intense library of games and home built right in and gushing with people and items it takes time for a system to get its bearings and such i mean the ps4 has stuff it can do thats not even currently unlocked but is right there on the box and in the forums and web sites like the ability to take over for a friend mid game from ur ps4 in another state or even country its somthing about ur friend making ur control his or whatever its there just not unlocked yet and then theres the cloud database coming next year with all our ps3,2, and 1 games supposedly anyway im still hoping they put shadow hearts and xenosaga in the cloud library thing but anyway its still to freakin early to go all nope its not on ps4 or going to be at all its more the time everyone opens there eyes and realizes the wording should be its not on ps4 YET

honestly people its like yall are expecting just because a newborn babies parents where rocket scientists that the baby should be born fully capable of walking and talking and doing quadratic equations 

Message 29 of 145 (382 Views)
Splicer
42 posts

Nov 17, 2013

I have not given up on Home.  I have not given up on the idea that Home will be updated and re-launched on the PS4.  I will probably not purchase a PS4 for a very long time UNLESS they update and release Home on it.  Home is central to my gaming lifestyle.  If they take down Home, my gaming life will effectively be crippled, and I will be very displeased.  I will likely change brand loyalties all together.

Message 30 of 145 (369 Views)