Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

I can't speak for the non-English forums. I certainly don't spend time there. I've only recently begun to spend time at the EU forum again.

Mia just replaced Palm Tree Phoenix who left. Obviously those on the forum there more than spent time speculating why she left but be that as it may Mia is her replacement. She has only been there a short time so it's hard to know how involved her role will be. From my short observation she does appear to be engaged.

It is interesting to note that some of the moderators there appear to interact with the community as well. Lord Ross is one example of that and his title is that of Community Team Moderator. He creates threads and interacts by answering questions and the like. Here is an example of a thread he recently created on that forum.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home-General/What-are-you/td-p/17610102

I don't know if she has added responsibilities similar to our Digital Platform Managers or whether she simply focuses on Home related content. Her formal title is Home Community Co-ordinator.

Message 31 of 189 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

Nov 27, 2012

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

I can't speak for the non-English forums. I certainly don't spend time there. I've only recently begun to spend time at the EU forum again.

Mia just replaced Palm Tree Phoenix who left. Obviously those on the forum there more than spent time speculating why she left but be that as it may Mia is her replacement. She has only been there a short time so it's hard to know how involved her role will be. From my short observation she does appear to be engaged.

It is interesting to note that some of the moderators there appear to interact with the community as well. Lord Ross is one example of that and his title is that of Community Team Moderator.

I don't know if she has added responsibilities similar to our Digital Platform Managers or whether she simply focuses on Home related content.

I don't quite understand the title that LordRoss has either but I know he's been an active member of the Home community for some time. He once posted a link to the US Home forums and suggested I may want to stick to posting there (here). I deserved it. I think I was nicely deported.

Do you think the EU would go for some sort of moderator exchange program?

Message 32 of 189 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Well one thing that is pretty apparant there to me at least is that the EU forum is a lot less active than our forum. The number of posts there is pretty small in comparison to how quickly our board can move and I'm not talking about the spam related content we got this past weekend.

I don't know if LordRoss is an actual Home user or simply a moderator who is responsible for contributing to forum content and moderation.

Message 33 of 189 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 28, 2012

he's active on Home and attends events arranges activities. Here's a sample of what he posted recently that attests to this:

Where's Wossy

Hello folks!

Here's a little fun challenge for you.

I have seven different screenshots from my travels around Home this week, which I have partly blackened out for lols.

The challenge is simple, can you guess what Home space I am located in within each screenshot I post.

I will be posting one screenshot at a time; when one of you guesses correctly, I will then post the second one and so on.

At the end we can see which one of you is not only the best at playing Where's Wossy but also the most observant Homie. :smileyvery-happy:

A couple of rules:

• You are allowed to guess multiple times, but only one guess per message.
  • Please do not double post - you can guess again only after someone else has guessed before you.
  • Make sure you have spelled the title of your guess correctly.

Have fun!

Here is the first partial screenshot (click on the photo to open it bigger in a separate window).

Where's Wossy in Image1

HomeImage1.jpg

Apologies if some of these images are a lil tricky, but at least it will get you thinking :Thumbs: I can always give hints if needs be anywho.

So without further ado, get your guesses a coming :smileyvery-happy:

It would be nice if we could have that same level of interaction, wouldn't it?

Message 34 of 189 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Nov 28, 2012

There use to be a lot of interaction on the forums with the Managers etc, but they took a lot of abuse and grief - I'm not making excuses or speaking for them, but I know what went on and I for one don't blame them, it just seemed like every hater of Home found there way to the forums just to argue or make demands of them, the worse were the shills for the other game console that we aren't allowed to mention..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 35 of 189 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Nov 28, 2012

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

There use to be a lot of interaction on the forums with the Managers etc, but they took a lot of abuse and grief - I'm not making excuses or speaking for them, but I know what went on and I for one don't blame them, it just seemed like every hater of Home found there way to the forums just to argue or make demands of them, the worse were the shills for the other game console that we aren't allowed to mention..

I remember seeing some of that, but doesn't it come with the job? I mean dealing with disgruntled customers is a part of many people's positions. If the staff as we knew them aren't supposed to communicate with us, who is?

Message 36 of 189 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Nov 28, 2012

myalana wrote:

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

I remember seeing some of that, but doesn't it come with the job? I mean dealing with disgruntled customers is a part of many people's positions. If the staff as we knew them aren't supposed to communicate with us, who is?

I'm not sure if its in their contract, contracts are a tricky thing, but they could or should hire a PR person to not so much answer every question but to pass out information on issues that concern us all, lets be realistic, I personally think its a time frame thing, there use to be 3 managers, now there are just 2.  But one thing I can say, I have found more fixes and answers from ingenious people within the Home community forums. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 37 of 189 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Nov 28, 2012

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

myalana wrote:

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

I'm not sure if its in their contract, contracts are a tricky thing, but they could or should hire a PR person to not so much answer every question but to pass out information on issues that concern us all, lets be realistic, I personally think its a time frame thing, there use to be 3 managers, now there are just 2.  But one thing I can say, I have found more fixes and answers from ingenious people within the Home community forums. 

So as a much larger market than the English speaking segment of Europe's region of Home, we get less in the way of interaction, staff, and communication? I still don't get it, but I appreciate what you had to say nonetheless.

Message 38 of 189 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4236 posts

Nov 28, 2012
Two letters... N.. (care to buy a vowel?)
Message 39 of 189 (175 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Nov 28, 2012

D-Nitrate D-Lineated:

Why there are item limits in personal spaces?

Why they cant access their wardrobes in other user's spaces, but they can in a club space?

Why can't they belong to more than 5 clubs?

Why can only 12 users be in a personal space when clubs can have 32?

Why dont they have the same sort options for items in storage as they do for items not in storage?

Why can't we have more sorting and filtering options?  Like by developer?

Why can't we delete items we no longer want?

Why can't we have a deep storage folder for items we rarely if ever use?

Why can't we have more item folders, like ones for T shirts; shorts; bathing suits; hats; etc

Why can't we have custom item folders so we can organize them as we choose?

Why can't we play our own music in our own spaces?

Why can't we play our own videos in our own spaces?

:^/ I've written software as a hobby since the TRS-80 was new, so a few of these are obvious to me.

There has to be a limit to the number of items in a personal space because the PS3's memory isn't infinite. Recently, the allocated memory for items has been divided differently from how it was done earlier, so we can use more regular items by using fewer active items. Also, active items are only given the RAM they actually need, instead the full allocation they used to be assigned. It's an improvement over the earlier system, but it isn't acually more RAM being assigned. It's just shared more efficiently.

Increased sorting options would require more data in the database, and adding it in may prove problematic. For example, T-Shirts are catagorized as torso items by the system currently, just as any other torso item. To allow them to be sorted separately, the database would have to know which torso items were T-Shirts and which weren't. It may be that contracts require/allow only the individual developers to decide how to catagorize their own items. If so, re-categorizing existing clothing from defunct developers (or limited-time items, etc.) may not be possible.

:^/ I agree that a additional layers of storage would help, but perhaps not enough people need that, yet. I don't, and I have oodles of clutter.

Music and video in personal spaces would be not violate copyright, and would stream from our own hard drives. There would be no problem until we invited guests. Then, either data that you have licensed but your guest has not would be streamed to him, violating copyright, or it wouldn't be allowed to stream, thus generating complaint threads. (":^O How come it plays in my space, but my guest can't see it?")

:^/ I agree that a lot of our item organization could be improved, as well as sped up, if the directory tree or items (and their thumbnail imagges) were saved to our own hard drives. However, the concern here is that less scrupulous folks could/would hack these to gain items without paying for them. So, all too much stuff has to come through the Internet every time we reference them, and the trade-off is that the system must streamline the process by trimming it down to the bare necessities....

:^( As for the level of communication from Home staff, I'm not especially happy. I've made complaints over the years about broken items purchased, but the only response has been from fellow users, and not from the individual companies that made the stuff. That's poor business.

Message 40 of 189 (169 Views)