Uncharted Territory
1362 posts

Re: Are Fams Good For Home?

[ Edited ]
Apr 11, 2013

In my experience, the fams I have seen in Home only care to harass other users.

Maybe if they were a gang of cute fluffy bunnies and didn't type, I'd feel differently about fams/gangs.

And the Angel of the Lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!“
Message 191 of 217 (330 Views)
Wastelander
631 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 11, 2013

ALEXELWAY wrote:

@ Anton  , I would'nt say all clubs are bad , i'm in 4 and everyone of them are just friends or people with who have simular interests ,no club i'm in have one certain person who tells others what to do or anything negative that i've noticed ,a couple might have a meeting once a week but they are nothing you are required to attend ,they are more to just get together and hangout if any of members want to.

Just my experience with clubs.

Well I've been wanting to join a group to hang with, but I'm not good at starting random conversation with strangers. I only talk to people who start talking to me and it is usually a good conversation, or kids looking for some info and I help them, but then we part ways. Sometimes we friend each other, but we never talk again. I don't want to pay money to start a club, so that's definitely not an option. I guess I'm just stuck as a lonely wanderer in PSHome.

Fams are terrible though. I don't think there is a way to control all the crap that goes on in PSHome, unless Sony actually hires a moderator who is willing to hang out in trouble spots and remove the trouble makers as they spot them. Apparently The Playground is one of the trouble spots, so maybe that's one place they should "police" more often and control conduct amongst the users. I don't know any other problem areas. I've seen people acting stupid at the Bowling Alley, Lockwood Gift Area & X7, but I don't go there regularly to know if they are actual trouble spots. If they are, then they need monitoring, too.

Edit: I can say crap, but not bullcr@p! Now that's crap!

Antonio Xul
Message 192 of 217 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
400 posts

Apr 11, 2013
FAMS & CLANS 90% TROUBLE!
RED
Message 193 of 217 (291 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 10, 2013
In a way some fams r good to counter the fams that target the new guys on home . Even though people get hacked , spayed on whatever fams do to eliminate there rival fam,gang what ever it gets sales for ps but people get hacked witch can also start wars . I know this from my own club on ps3 and I have seen spy's and people getting hacked and many more things home fams do . If u want more info ask
Message 194 of 217 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
353 posts

Jul 10, 2013

Fams are trash

Message 195 of 217 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
390 posts

Jul 10, 2013

I was in a short lived one for about a month or so. Honestly, I've had both good and bad experiences w/ fams and seen the worst and the best. The fam I was a member of didn't have any bad qualities from what I've seen. We used to avoid fighting and arguing w/ other fams, they threw mini concerts exclusively for members(there was a girl in the group who had a beautiful voice and used to sing for us), the meetings weren't bad just talking about things that are going on w/ group members and some rank switches, and honestly it was a lot of just hanging around w/ each other. Unfortunately they disbanded the fam because a lot of the group leaders wanted to go out and do other things. I don't know I can't say they are bad for home because of the good I've experienced, but then there are the bad experiences. Maybe it's not the fams but just the groups of ignorant idiots who want to bully others and troll that are bad for home.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f38914749fa0b69a8d41c0f37d859f74/tumblr_min7sltbuj1rzraxgo1_500.gif
Message 196 of 217 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jul 10, 2013

They're good for Home.

More people spending money = good for home, regardless of whether you like the people or not.

FF14 WAR
Message 197 of 217 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
158 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Well, I've read pretty much every post in this thread.  Some would say I have no life, and perhaps those same people would get mad if I came on here and said I didn't bother with reading and just decided to post.  Whatever side you're on, it doesn't matter to me.

I read through to educate myself about an issue that I only knew a small amount about and thought I'd educate myself more about, since I've never been a part of a Fam, but I've seen and heard bits and pieces about them.  I'd like to respond to things others have said here.

First of all, I see that the majority of people discussing this debate are majorly people that have never been in a Fam/Club/Mafia/Clan/Order.  Frankly, I'd rather hear this answer more from the people in these kinds of groups themselves and to ask them what their experience has been.  After looking through this thread, there have only been about 5 people that voiced fully-formed opinions on more than one occasion that made it clear they had been part of Fams for a lengthy period of time, and/or were in them currently.  Those individuals seemed to have the most insight into the situation. 

For example, I agree with knux757 who said, "How is two fams arguing considered gang activity? its two groups arguing, nothing more. That's like saying that a debate is gang activity." 

For another example, I agree with That_guy44 who said, "The wording of the question is kinda misleading. What is defined as good for Home? ... Whether you change the name from fam to club people will still gather together. If all the members in the fams left, it would hurt Home financially, and socially."

For another example, I agree with Nihil_Monkey said, "I can admit that "y0 wut up b?" bothers me but it ends up just being another lifestyle...We may not like their lifestyle and they may not like ours.  I love how blurry the line between good and bad is."

That_guy44 later pointed out, "The mods look at each case individually. Just because 5 or so people send in reports won't change the outcome. If any thing, it slows the mods down and they ask that you'd dont report as a group. If the person was banned, it is not because they were spammed with reports, it is because the person was doing something wrong."  

So, who is anyone who has never been a part of any of these groups to say that they are "not good for Home".  If some of these groups cause very little drama and help create organic forms of socialization that people, especially kids, find hard to do without some sort of social cue like a Fam, then why is it bad?  It sounds to me that it's not the Fam/Club/Mafia/Clan/Order that's inherently bad, but the people that are a part of each one on a case-by-case basis that is the problem.  I argue that many of Home users should keep this in mind, not only when talking about this issue, but any issue in life.  

For some personal insight on the danger several people highlighted of prostitution-type behavior happening within Fams, I've spent a lot of time on a little website called IMVU, which is a 3D chat site much like Home, but has been around for far longer, and has much more accessibility and control.  There are many rooms on IMVU that are designated "AP" rooms (Access Pass, ie. Only for those who have purchased the pass and proven they are over 18 as per the TOS of the site), and are designated as, basically, strip clubs.  If you enter them, and have no credits to gift, or credits to use to gift items at the request of the dancer, then you're booted out of the room.  This has been going on for years, although it seems it's relatively new to Home. 

I bear what seems to be a minority opinion about these kinds of things - I don't see any issue with it, if it's done in private rooms on Home.  People are entitled to do what they want with their own bodies, and money, and in this case companies like IMVU and Sony are making the buck for this sort of thing.  As far as the argument "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!" I say, that is up to the PARENTS to use this thing called PARENTING and to watch what their kids are getting into, not the people on the internet/online networks.  Besides, when it comes to Home, there's not much that people can do in the way of "cybering" aka Erotic Role Playing (ERP), because almost every "bad word" known in the english language is censored.

As far as I'm concerned, no matter what you do or where you go, there will always be corruption and people bending and/or breaking rules.  All of the rule-enforcement in the world is not going to stop it - and in fact, if rule enforcement goes past a certain degree of extremity, then it actually begins to backfire and increase the destruction exponentially.  There will never be a time where anyone can live in any world, even a virtual one, with zero corruption or problems.  This is a fact.

Aeternitas33, you quoted either yourself or someone else by saying, "I don’t think fams have any place in PS Home. Yes, gaming companies make lots of money selling games that allow you to role play criminal behavior. But PlayStation Home is not a game, it’s a virtual reality. We don’t need people role playing criminal behavior in PS Home."  I'm going to respond to you by saying this is certainly arguing semantics.  I will elaborate.  When we all were kids, the playground wasn't the Mob, but just simply reality.  However, this didn't stop us from roleplaying criminal behavior.  These things are inherently intertwined, from a psychological and sociological standpoint.  In studies, the most popular feature on a playground has been found to be jail bars, even if it's not in an enclosed box, but on a wall of part of the playground.  Being threatened and captured are social aspects that are as instinctual as laughing and talking are.  If you're talking about ANY reality, including a virtual one, it is in point of fact incomplete without some aspect of danger or competition. 

In my opinion, the major reason why any of us are having this argument, and at such lengths, is because we're so deeply emotionally invested in the virtual world that is Home.  If you asked any cop if they would arrest someone for spamming the word "yes" on a computer screen to someone, they would probably laugh in your face. 

Plus, since the OP posted this thread, the "mute" and "ignore" features have been added, which greatly reduce the issues that most people have been citing here.

Another comment to someone else who mentioned it on here - The argument that all newbies to Home are in some kind of danger that we all must stop really doesn't sit well with me - to assume all newbies to any arena have suddenly lost any ability they had before to be cautious or understanding in any situation they encounter is downright insulting.  Regardless of if someone is new or not, they have the capability to deal with the situation, they don't need a Nanny-Government to shelter them from the big bad people on Home that they can assume or postulate exists all by themselves. 

Lastly, I'm going to put this out there and hopefully some of you might actually be able to hear me out.  I felt the need to make this clarification because it was brought up here.  As far as Trolls are concerned, there are a lot of people that CHOOSE, I said CHOOSE, to take offense to trolls.  The reason why Trolls do what they do is to specifically help others to stop taking themselves so seriously.  If you allow yourself to get offended when someone makes a comment that is seen by most as offensive, you've allowed yourself to become vulnerable.  It amazes me how people sit there thinking they can change a troll by yelling at them and that this will somehow cure the Troll.  If one simply laughs along or ignores it, they have nothing to troll, and so their job is done.  This is the very fabric of Trolling.  Obviously, if it gets to a point where someone is being stalked/harassed/physically harmed, then it's NO LONGER A TROLL, it's someone that is doing what they're doing for other reasons.  I know many people here will probably not like what I'm saying here, but I really felt that needed to be clarified.

In conclusion, not once in this entire thread have I seen anyone that has actually been IN a fam of some kind come out and state that they thought they were "bad" for home.  Only the people that have no experience in them have said they were bad.  Those who have been a part of them have generally all had the same answer - Not all fams are good, not all fams are bad.  It depends on the people themselves on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks for listening.

www.tiny.cc/signforhome

-------

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.
Message 198 of 217 (196 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1334 posts

Jul 24, 2013
There are worst things than fans/clubs/crews on home & PSN in general. I have my own club and so far I have never had an issue with another group of individuals even though I can agree that most are filled with ignorant people who tend to have grammatical issues.
I usually get on home and head to the adventure district... only to have some perv approach me or voice chat with me as if I'm supposed to be interested; these tend to be individuals and not groups/clubs/crews nor fams.

Saying that these groups are stupid or however you feel is of course your personal opinion and you have a right to your opinion but as far as me and my club goes, we're more laid back and when we're together we are usually at our clubhouse. I don't walk up to random people and just recruit, I usually accept them as they come, no matter who they are as long as they respect everyone they interact with in the club and outside while wearing our tags. Now trolls and pervs are a who other issue.
Message 199 of 217 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6367 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2013

I learned early in life that the only thing you can control is how you respond or don't respond to others. Home is no different in my view. Folks who troll or harass as you say are the easiest to deal with. I simply don't  acknowledge them and play their game. Works every time for me.  It does some times makes me chuckle when I see folks in home standing there trying to rationalize with them. It does make good entertainment.

I've got no problem with Fams/Clubs or whatever your preferred title is. Most ones I've witnessed don't really bother anyone. The ones I have seen getting into a beef it's usually  with their rivals. When I'm on home I go about my business without the need to search out unnecessary drama. Respecting other folks no matter whether I agree or disagree with them or what their about is how I accomplish this.

I look at Fams/Clubs like this. They are like mine fields that are clearly marked. Left alone they are harmless, inert. The adventurous folks on the other hand can decided to take a morning stroll though said mine field ignoring all the signs. Well I'm sure your getting the picture by now.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 200 of 217 (145 Views)
0 Likes