Jan 28 2013
By: StardustChampion Uncharted Territory 1157 posts

Anyone satisfied with Xi2?

31 replies 618 views Edited Jan 28, 2013

I left at the paywall. Friends who've played it seemed unimpressed.

If you were satisfied with the experience, what did you enjoy about it?

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 1 of 32 (618 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Re: Anyone satisfied with Xi2?

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

StardustChampion stated:

I left at the paywall. Friends who've played it seemed unimpressed.

If you were satisfied with the experience, what did you enjoy about it?

;^) I liked that they made the effort to create a sequel to the original Xi. Naturally, no one can realistically expect them to bottle lightning twice, so I wasn't expecting it to be what the original was.

Elements of it could have been better. Some days had very little to do in them, for example. Also, the card game was fun once I'd gotten the hang of it, but it was frustrating trying to complete the challenge of gaining a hundred victories when there were rarely other players in the Snowcrash area to play against. Even when there were, many of the players had purchased the expansion packs and thus had better cards to work with.

Then there were the bugs, such as the Cypher sometimes not crediting players with what they'd just accomplished. I've completed the game, but only have credit for nine of the ten puzzle missions, and so only have eight of the nine apartment sections. There is supposed to be the option to replay the whole thing over again, but that hasn't appeared yet. Maybe tomorow.

On the positive side, I liked how the newer story tied into the original, to the extent of even hiring the same actress again. While the new game had its shortcomings, it was a welcome thing just the same.

Message 2 of 32 (600 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11843 posts

Jan 28, 2013

Having never played the original Xi, I had nothing to compare it to or any expectations going into it.

I think most of the negative comments come from comparing it to the original.

I wasn't dissatisfied overall. My main reason for paying was to get the apartment anyway, upon hearing it would be the largest personal space to date.

With that being said, I like the apartment and would value it at $5.99, so I look at it that the game cost me $4.00.

For me overall, I felt that 47 days was way too long for a story that lacked the depth to keep you interested. The constant checking your Holomail as being the only thing to do on given days, pretty much ruined it for me.

At midway, I just went through the motions to get it done,I looked at the Xi thread for answers and fragment locations.

The biggest letdown for me was completing the useless 100 multiplayer wins, only to find out it just gave you two new associates and no bearing on finishing the game, other than to have the challenge box checked off.

Overall, it was just OK for me. It could've been better. Would I pay to play a 2nd episode? I probably would, but I'd wait a few days to hear the feedback first.

Message 3 of 32 (595 Views)
Uncharted Territory
900 posts

Jan 28, 2013

I liked it. I felt there was a lot of play for the money.

I did not like the "pokemon" card game, that was pretty icky. I loved loved loved crusing around the Continuum on my board, looking for fragments-go figure. I loved that the apt kept opening up as a different kind of reward (rather than rocks for my storage like Gz.) I did not like having to leave Home for the net to go get game, and I used spoilers on that stuff. And despite not wanting to figure net stuff out, I did get a kick out of the websites, and really loved the artwork on them-someone put a lot of time and effort into that.

And I actually really like the final reward! I Overall, think it was worth the money for the huge apt I got and all the days of entertainment. IMHO Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 32 (577 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

Jan 28, 2013

I was dissatisfied with Xi2 due to the lack of rewards. Supposedly we are getting 2 LMO's soon, but only 1 of those is for people who actually bought it, and the requirment is only 7 days.

There should have been more rewards, and stuff like clothing and LMO's. I was so let down when my reward for all that nonsense was a lousy statue...a gold one at that -_-

I didn't like the storyline (not into 4th wall or reality stuff), some days had nothing to do, the tracker missions were slow and tedious, the card battles were annoying, and I just went on the forum to find the puzzle answers. (which was good, I'm not into those kind of puzzles)

Basically the only thing I liked about this was the apt. Of course, it can't be decorated, but it is amazing looking. However I wouldn't have bought this apt seperately.

I also liked how if you missed days you could do them one after another. I was gone for a few weeks and was able to do 15 days in rapid sucession. If it wasn't for this feature, I wouldn't have bothered finishing it.

If episode 1 owners have to purchase episode 2, I highly doubt I will, unless there are more frequent and GOOD rewards, mainly unique clothing items and LMOs.

Message 5 of 32 (532 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Jan 28, 2013
The apartment and public space are both very well designed.

The game itself felt unfinished and padded.

If not for fellow players, the experience would have been lackluster.

I give the design of the spaces a solid 9 out of 10.
The game, however, gets a 4 out of 10.
The forum community (I'm gonna miss them all) get a 10 out of 10.

Message 6 of 32 (506 Views)
Fender Bender
1571 posts

Jan 28, 2013
The apt made it worthwhile, but combat card game at Snow Crash was mind numbing. I managed to complete 10 wins, but decided my time was worth more than what it would take to complete 100 wins. The game wasn't hard, it was just tedious.

The tracker missions were at first fun for me, but many ended normally with the Combat Card game. So again, they became tedious.

I liked the puzzles. Although I have computer access, it is unfair to make players access critical parts of the game on hardware not connected to their PS3. Many outside sites connected to Xi2, required Adobe Flash. So players were not able to use their PS3 browser.

All and all, with the amount of real content this game could be shortened to no more than 2 weeks. The best part of the game for me was collaborating with my friends and the apartment. The Continnum public space would be appealing to me, if they added color at the end of the game. You know, bring it to life. The grey is depressing, after awhile.

To answer your question, no I was not satisfied and am actually relieved it is over. Unless you like card games, I would not recommend Xi2.
Posted Image
Message 7 of 32 (497 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2760 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

The game/space is of fair value in Home's current price environment. The gameplay was entertaining but not particularly stimulating. I imagine a lot of programming hours were spent on the Agent card game. The Xi is easily playable without additional card purchases, this is a plus. I will probably never complete 100 battle missions without a rewards incentive. That is a major oversight in game design. Perhaps rewards for battle missions will be updated giving a reason to play and buy additionl cards. Unfortunately, the excitement of early Home and the mystery of the 1st Xi can never be recreated. Those that experienced the early days of Home had a truely unique and special time. Overall I am ok with the purchase.

Posted Image

Message 8 of 32 (475 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Jan 28, 2013

Not much more to add than what has been said already.

I don't regret my decision to buy the game. The Continuum and Vertigo apartment have been cool enough to explore and observe while they evolved.  I do like the Stapler trophy for completing the game.

Unfortunately, there were more cons than pros over the 47 day period.

Too many days that consisted of reading a holomail and gathering a couple fragments. Then, most of the missions consisted of little more than playing the card game, walking around the Continuum or doing some silly online puzzle. There was no real strategy or challenge involved in any of it. The gameplay felt like going through the motions each day.

The storyline itself was convoluted and not terribly interesting either. In the end, I can't really say that I know exactly what happened, why it happened or who was responsible for anything. Maybe the mysteries of the Continuum were not revealed or maybe I just stopped paying attention about 3 weeks ago. I don't find myself caring either way.

People who use Home, myself included, are willing to participate is some awfully repetitive and mundane activities in order to earn the rewards. Aurora Champions apartment and Gold VICKIE come to mind. Unfortunately, Xi:C failed in that respect as well.  The Stapler trophy is decent enough and I do appreciate the apartment expansions as rewards. The only other rewards were new associate cards for a game that I have no desire to play again. The cards were helpful but not really necessary to complete the missions. Some of the challenges to be completed were of little consequence within the game nor for earning rewards. Why did I go to the trouble of winning 100 games at Snowcrash and gather all 100 fragments? I have no idea. It seems like a waste of time in hindsight. There was no reward granted for completing all the challenges in the game.

I've said it already and I'll say it again. I think that access to Chapter 2 would be an appropriate reward for completing the challenges in Chapter 1. It would give purpose to the challenge board, smooth over some discontent for dissatisfied customers and maybe encourage some holdouts to buy Chapter 1. If nDreams has any hope of turning Xi into a franchise, they need to expand or maintain their audience, at the very least. They need more people to buy Chapter 1 with some incentive to play on. I don't see any chance of those scenarios unless they do something fairly drastic for Chapter 2. Based on customer response for Chapter 1, the next installment will be dead on arrival.

castle3
Message 9 of 32 (442 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1266 posts

Jan 28, 2013

I will say this. While the game wasn't true to the original, the story made no sense, and everything seemed to be far too linear I will say it was a change of pace from the usual get points to claim the reward formula that has saturated home and turned it into a massive point grinding rpg.

I'm sure there will be more to do about aso and thier sims, the return of EFD and meryl, and a bigger influence from Axiom, but the shortcomings in the game make me not want to play it again, not to mention the lack of replay value. with evertyhing being force fed, and all the handholding during the game I feel like I missed...nothing, and with no reason to back track, I won't.

Would i play continuum 2? reluctantly. Would I buy continuum 2? No, but it was a fun ride.

Perish_Song
Message 10 of 32 (427 Views)