Treasure Hunter
5432 posts

Re: An Epic Pipedream

Aug 24, 2009

bigdaddyellis40 wrote:
can anyone find or allready know the company name that made the first killzone costumes and ninja, caveman, trojan, well I think they made all the costumes in the costume shop. I cant find it

I assume you do not mean Loot. They have developed a number of spaces and wardrobe items for Home.

Also, there is Outso Ltd. They developed some of the spaces in Home (Red Bull, Resistance Station, inFamous), minigames in others (SOCOM telestrator, Warhawk sandtable and the Central Plaza Saucer Pop (old & new)) as well as the animated clothing and furnishings. I don't think that they did other clothing, though, at least their website doesn't mention it.

Message Edited by pasufarin on 08-24-2009 02:04 PM
--

I neither work nor speak for SCEA;
the views expressed in this message are solely my own.
Message 91 of 98 (6 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1200 posts

Aug 24, 2009
how much is it ?
Message 92 of 98 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
560 posts

Sep 2, 2009

BitRunner wrote:

Number_51 wrote:

godsgift1888 wrote:

here we go guys

In order to do this, you would have to first be licensed to develop content on the Home platform, which entails a whole lot of things that, frankly, I don't know a whole lot about in terms of details. What I do know is that there would need to be a contract in place, and a demonstration of abilities in terms of development. Proposals would have to be sent to our green light committee who would review the proposal and make a go/no go/revise decision based on whether or not the proposal meets our golden rules for content in Home. It's likely to be an expensive proposition initially, both in terms of cost and time, but it's also a great platform to be develop for, and the ROI has been very high for our partners. If you and your cohorts wish to form an independent gaming company to develop for the platform, I'll be happy to send your info along the way to the appropriate parties.

so we now know the challenge ahead of us lets get to work

project manager

I love you guys' enthusiasm for this idea, and the idea itself is fantastic. I seem to remember someone from these boards having gone partially down this road to being a licensed developer on the Home platform. Someone who was interested in creating clothes, did a lot of renders, really good stuff. Bit probably knows who I'm talking about.

Oh, found it. It was MarkSinister. I'm not sure how far he took it but I'm almost sure he was looking into becoming a licensed developer.

Message Edited by Number_51 on 08-18-2009 07:28 PM

Tragically I haven't seen Mark in ages on the forums nor any updates to his clothing thread. I can't imagine he went all the way (maybe the cost was too prohibitive and he gave up?).

Lol seem like my tread is still making news while I'm away, thats good to know. If you would like to know what happened with the clothes project I would have to say it was unsuccessful. The way the home development team has it you have to be a game developer in order to put any content within the Home community. Now I know you're saying what about Diesel and that other guy, well it seems that Diesel is paying Sony a boat load of money to have them create or outsource there clothes to be model for them and sold in home this explains why Diesel outfits are usually price so high to begin with because they have to make the money back I'm assuming (but don't hold me to that). But from my understanding Sony will only work with People/Companies who have the paper to make something happen so if you can't afford to hire a staff and develop a game or pay Sony the bread to make your Home models for you, you're pretty much not going to get very far very fast. Now that's not to say I've fully given up on this project it just seems that I've hit a very big bump in the road. Where I live they hold a contest every year in the business library, where if you come up with a sound business plan they will give you $15,000 to start your own business. Maybe I could give it one more shot and see if I could get this to work of course it would mean that I would have to start a video game company and not a virtual clothes design company but hey I don't mind either . Now I can't give away the secret of my business plan but I could give you a hint about how I could make it work, hints: Xbox and Burn Zombie Burn, lol.

Message 93 of 98 (6 Views)
Lombax Warrior
227 posts

Sep 2, 2009

MarkSinister wrote:

BitRunner wrote:

Number_51 wrote:

godsgift1888 wrote:

here we go guys

In order to do this, you would have to first be licensed to develop content on the Home platform, which entails a whole lot of things that, frankly, I don't know a whole lot about in terms of details. What I do know is that there would need to be a contract in place, and a demonstration of abilities in terms of development. Proposals would have to be sent to our green light committee who would review the proposal and make a go/no go/revise decision based on whether or not the proposal meets our golden rules for content in Home. It's likely to be an expensive proposition initially, both in terms of cost and time, but it's also a great platform to be develop for, and the ROI has been very high for our partners. If you and your cohorts wish to form an independent gaming company to develop for the platform, I'll be happy to send your info along the way to the appropriate parties.

project manager

I love you guys' enthusiasm for this idea, and the idea itself is fantastic. I seem to remember someone from these boards having gone partially down this road to being a licensed developer on the Home platform. Someone who was interested in creating clothes, did a lot of renders, really good stuff. Bit probably knows who I'm talking about.

Oh, found it. It was MarkSinister. I'm not sure how far he took it but I'm almost sure he was looking into becoming a licensed developer.

Tragically I haven't seen Mark in ages on the forums nor any updates to his clothing thread. I can't imagine he went all the way (maybe the cost was too prohibitive and he gave up?).

Lol seem like my tread is still making news while I'm away, thats good to know. If you would like to know what happened with the clothes project I would have to say it was unsuccessful. The way the home development team has it you have to be a game developer in order to put any content within the Home community. Now I know you're saying what about Diesel and that other guy, well it seems that Diesel is paying Sony a boat load of money to have them create or outsource there clothes to be model for them and sold in home this explains why Diesel outfits are usually price so high to begin with because they have to make the money back I'm assuming (but don't hold me to that). But from my understanding Sony will only work with People/Companies who have the paper to make something happen so if you can't afford to hire a staff and develop a game or pay Sony the bread to make your Home models for you, you're pretty much not going to get very far very fast. Now that's not to say I've fully given up on this project it just seems that I've hit a very big bump in the road. Where I live they hold a contest every year in the business library, where if you come up with a sound business plan they will give you $15,000 to start your own business. Maybe I could give it one more shot and see if I could get this to work of course it would mean that I would have to start a video game company and not a virtual clothes design company but hey I don't mind either . Now I can't give away the secret of my business plan but I could give you a hint about how I could make it work, hints: Xbox and Burn Zombie Burn, lol.

Finally a voice of reason chimes in here. Not to sound negative or try and squash your "pipedream" but it doesn't seem like anyone(save for maybe 1) before this point that has posted here has any idea of how much money, effort and politics is involved in trying to make this project happen.

This isn't a simple "lets draw some clothes pictures on the PC and make em for Home."

Message 94 of 98 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5009 posts

Sep 2, 2009

JB438gtgmr wrote:

MarkSinister wrote:

BitRunner wrote:

Number_51 wrote:

godsgift1888 wrote:

here we go guys

project manager

Finally a voice of reason chimes in here. Not to sound negative or try and squash your "pipedream" but it doesn't seem like anyone(save for maybe 1) before this point that has posted here has any idea of how much money, effort and politics is involved in trying to make this project happen.

This isn't a simple "lets draw some clothes pictures on the PC and make em for Home."

Of course it's going to take a good deal of effort. However, it's not impossible by any means. Probably the best way to get started is to try some development on other platforms. iPhone development is a good starting platform, as much as I hate to say it XNA is another good one, many developers started on the PC too (iD, Blizzard, PopCap games, etc just to name a few). Sony is unfortunately very prohibitive about letting people develop for their platforms, you have to show proof that you can make good quality games before they'll let you develop for their platform.

Most of what people are wanting to make here isn't even games or other interactive items it's just clothing and furniture items. Has anybody bothered to contact Outso the company that makes a good number of the virtual items for Home? To actually work for those guys I imagine you need a well-developed resume and portfolio of work, not to mention you have to live in the UK... I'm willing to bet though that if you had a good idea for clothing and knew how to model it in 3D you might be able to submit it to them to have it made in Home, just a thought. I didn't see anyone else here offer up any 3D modelling though, you guys all wanted to be testers and project managers and coders (I'm actually looking to take some classes this fall in 3D modelling to do forensic animation, so, I'll tell you how it goes Smiley Tongue).

Visit my CG Art Gallery at: http://www.johnnyernest.com/projects.php
Message 95 of 98 (6 Views)
Lombax Warrior
227 posts

Sep 2, 2009

BitRunner wrote:

Of course it's going to take a good deal of effort. However, it's not impossible by any means. Probably the best way to get started is to try some development on other platforms. iPhone development is a good starting platform, as much as I hate to say it XNA is another good one, many developers started on the PC too (iD, Blizzard, PopCap games, etc just to name a few). Sony is unfortunately very prohibitive about letting people develop for their platforms, you have to show proof that you can make good quality games before they'll let you develop for their platform.

Most of what people are wanting to make here isn't even games or other interactive items it's just clothing and furniture items. Has anybody bothered to contact Outso the company that makes a good number of the virtual items for Home? To actually work for those guys I imagine you need a well-developed resume and portfolio of work, not to mention you have to live in the UK... I'm willing to bet though that if you had a good idea for clothing and knew how to model it in 3D you might be able to submit it to them to have it made in Home, just a thought. I didn't see anyone else here offer up any 3D modelling though, you guys all wanted to be testers and project managers and coders (I'm actually looking to take some classes this fall in 3D modelling to do forensic animation, so, I'll tell you how it goes Smiley Tongue).

Nope, not impossible at all, just not as easy as some people in this thread seem to think it might be. As you yourself said, everyone wants to be a tester, manager, artist, blah, blah which is all fine and dandy but in all honesty you need to clone yourself about 6 or 8 times and then you'd have a good group of people to try and go forward with this.

Not trying to be insulting to anyone else just being blunt and honest...

Message 96 of 98 (6 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
864 posts

Re: An Epic Pipedream may become a reality :OXD

Sep 2, 2009

A very interesting proposal, yes a epic idea although the old saying too many cooks spoil the soup.. Meaning im Sure a DK is very costly. Which would require multiple investors.   Everyone has their own vision of a dream home space.. How would please every investor? Granted that all the requests are even possible ?

sc misscooco
Message 97 of 98 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5009 posts

Re: An Epic Pipedream may become a reality :OXD

Sep 2, 2009

misscooco_909 wrote:

A very interesting proposal, yes a epic idea although the old saying too many cooks spoil the soup.. Meaning im Sure a DK is very costly. Which would require multiple investors.   Everyone has their own vision of a dream home space.. How would please every investor? Granted that all the requests are even possible ?

I can almost guarantee you all requests aren't possible, especially if such a company were to get off the ground, demand would increase for requested items, and well... I've seen the Suggestions Thread... all of the technical limitations of Home and the PS3 aren't taken into account all the time, and all of the technical constraints aren't particularly known to us as a community only the published hardware constraints of the PS3 platform.

So, it bears the question, is this the quintessential point where the community gives up and says "hey we'll just let the Home dev team do whatever they want to do", or are people truly willing to learn outside of their comfort zone and step up to all of the risky challenges in the process of forming a successful gaming company to create content for Home?

Visit my CG Art Gallery at: http://www.johnnyernest.com/projects.php
Message 98 of 98 (6 Views)